NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I feel like a bad mom

Parrot Lady

to begin with Brandi has a bad habit of flying around the kitchen especially when I'am in their cooking today she decided to take a flight in the kitchen I had just turned the burners off on the stove about 5 or 10 minutes before , this is her landing pad always on the burners of the stove , we have an electric stove which I hate good thing the burners were cooled off or we would have had a major accident , thats when I decided to call a friend of mine that usually does the birds nails and wings and have her come do Brandi's wings , I felt so bad the whole time she was cliiping them but I don't want my baby girl hurt , she did a slight clip what she calls a beginner clip so they aren't real short , now when she trys to take off she gently glides to the floor even though she can still get to the kitchen table and living room couch with not to much effort , I just still feel like a bad mom for doing that to her but for her safety for now I think it's for the best

I'm sorry to hear this. A couple things people do is put a flag or banner at the entrance to the kitichen, then they teach their fid not to cross this marker. Another thing is they sell a cover or you can make one that covers the burner, then teach your baby this area is a no-no, a Grey learns quick...Question? If she can get to the kitchen table? is it just one or two more hops to the stove? Please keep a watch on your baby for any difference in behavior...Thanks Jayd

We respect your decision to do what you think is best at this time for Brandi.

In time things may change and she can than be full flighted again.

Jay has given you some options to try that may help untill she knows better.

We understan your concern for Brandi `s safty.

• Haha 1

hmmm your right Im never thought about the kitchen being so close but she has to turn the corner to get in the kitchen and the reason she came in the kitchen all the time was to go to the cup and her formula is on the counter in the kitchen , she wanted her formula because that was the first place she would go to , I was thoose mesh kurtains the ones on tv like for patio's that would work I think , I wonder how long it will take to let her wings grow back out?

I have a flighted canary, I love the male singers, so I have a mesh curtain over my office door (where the canary lives) It definitely keeps my Ana Grey out, aggressive TAG, who would love to have Captain Caruso for breakfast, hell, or lunch or dinner, she really doesn't care!!! My office is right across from the parrot room so they can see me at my desk which appeases their need to be with me.

I would like to offer a suggestion of what to use instead of burner covers. Purchase a stove top tea kettle that is the size of your largest burner, preferably in a color that Brandi doesn't like. Keep several inches of water in it and get into the habit of placing the tea kettle down on any burner that was on. I'm not a fan of burner covers. I had one start to stink because I put it down over a burner that was to hot and the paint started to bubble. The tea kettle absorbs the heat protecting toes, the lid keeps fids from the water, and the handle is a fids first choice to perch if they are faster than you. This is a habit I got into years ago when I had littles and have kept it up.

Wingy...this is such excellent advice. I hadn't realized it but that is exactly what I do too. My teakettle shifts to whichever burner is hot! If multiple burners have been in use I shift another pot there just to cover it up.

Seems the cats have trained me well.

The Tea Kettle is a great idea , before I make my final decission on letting her wings grow out I'am going to discuss it with the vet she has an appointment for next wednesday , just want to get his opinion then I will make a final decission, right now she can still fly a little but not way up high and she has been staying out of the kitchen