NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Carriers for Greys: What's everyone using?

FirstPenguin

Thanks. That's more of a travel cage that you could leave them in than a carrier. I'm focused on finding a good carrier that fits my needs, which does involve walking.

People have been using that carrier for years. It's nothing new. There's about 4 different sizes. One of those that are good for birds is the one that's also bought for very small dogs or very small cats and medium sized birds ( greys--amazons--eckletus).

I looked at the price of the one in your pic. OUTRAGEOUS!!. Highway robbery!!. They can be purchased from large or medium sized pet shops for about $35. I have 6 carriers and because I bought them all at the same time, I paid $20 for each. And I got them in the Bronx near Bruchner Blvd. These are the type of carriers in which you transport your bird from one place to another--home to vet, visiting others. Their purpose isn't to be carrying around your bird all day long. There's other tpes of carriers for that and most aren't metal except fopr the frame and they're much more expensive. they're put on your body just like a back pack.

Edited by Dave007

Dave is right, you can buy those type carriers at pet stores, granted they probably won't have the grated top door but they will serve the purpose nicely and because they were designed for dogs and cats which are more plentiful they are cheaper, you can easily install some type of perch if you don't want your grey standing on the floor.

People have been using that carrier for years. It's nothing new. There's about 4 different sizes. One of those that are good for birds is the one that's also bought for very small dogs or very small cats and medium sized birds ( greys--amazons--eckletus).

I looked at the price of the one in your pic. OUTRAGEOUS!!. Highway robbery!!. They can be purchased from large or medium sized pet shops for about $35. I have 6 carriers and because I bought them all at the same time, I paid $20 for each. And I got them in the Bronx near Bruchner Blvd. These are the type of carriers in which you transport your bird from one place to another--home to vet, visiting others. Their purpose isn't to be carrying around your bird all day long. There's other tpes of carriers for that and most aren't metal except fopr the frame and they're much more expensive. they're put on your body just like a back pack.

Thanks, I suspected that and was able to find the same thing for half the money on Amazon and Walmarts website. Bird cages 4 less seems like false advertising seeing that. However it turns out I'm going to billed for a carrier anyway when my bird gets shipped to me, but I'm going to see if this can be supplemented.

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Deluxe-Kennel-Medium-Peacock/dp/B000A703QE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345498303&sr=8-3&keywords=petmate+deluxe

I made my own from a large cat carrier. cut the sides out and holes on the top. I then wrapped it with pet safe screening and use s.s fasteners. inside drilled for 2 cups for food and water. lastly I installed a rope perch inside. has worked well for 4 years. saved myself $200 this way. crate cost $30 plus maybe $25 in materials.

Guest Jocelyn
I made my own from a large cat carrier. cut the sides out and holes on the top. I then wrapped it with pet safe screening and use s.s fasteners. inside drilled for 2 cups for food and water. lastly I installed a rope perch inside. has worked well for 4 years. saved myself $200 this way. crate cost $30 plus maybe $25 in materials.

Good idea pics?

I bought an acrylic one and used it once. The weather was cool at the time but i won't use it again, to us it was like a see through oven. We then got a full wire small dog crate. Can add perch and bowls no problem, we added shoulder straps from luggage and are now good to go. Also got a baby blanket to cover it when needed.

carriers2.jpg

Haven't tried the acrylic cages because of the heat potential. But I like the way Miffy's is mostly bars. I've also avoided dog cages because there's no knowing if they have bird safe paint.

Aside from the standard issue plastic cat carriers, this is my current collection. I live for the day when someone finally designs my version of the perfect carrier because I'm not in love w/any of them.

The green one is fine if you want to take a fid for a short walk or ride. Nothing else. It's lightweight & secure w/some visibility. But it's not good to clean, has no cups, allows no sunlight in, seems a little warm & has very little room. Made worse because of the stationary perch placement.

The white one is at least 10 yo. Very solid by today's standards. Folds up nice. Good door size & living space. It's a decent enough deck cage. But it's got no handle...? Everything has to be just right or it doesn't seem so bird proof & moving it tends to unsettle things. So I feel like I have to use a dowel to help w/support, rather than the Comfy Perch. Also, the only reason the springs haven't gotten picked apart is because no one is out of my sight when they're in it (they really don't do much good, either).

The King's cage is actually pretty nice. I love the design & the security. It's the closest yet to my idea of a good carrier. But they cost a small fortune, take up as much space apart as set up & should be lighter to tote. It's better for me to take the bottom grate out. I don't miss it & it actually makes a noticeable difference in the weight.

carriers.jpg

Edited by birdhouse