NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Lets Bust a Myth 2

Ray P

In many of the larger parrots Males and females are equal when it comes to talking ablity.

In some of the smaller species like the cockatiels the male does the talking. There have been a few females that have talked but its rare.

So this may be a myth with some parrot species and a fact with others.

Any comments or debate. All are welcome. This is parrot knowledge so jump in.

Our female red bellied parrot talks sparingly. It is very clear and spot on for conversations we are having but she has little need for talking on a daily basis. We had a male Congo African Grey and he was talking at seven months and learned a lot of words before he passed away. Gilbert came in a little older with a different perspective of several rehomes. He has picked up a few words from our home, mostly says much of the same thing as when he came in fifteen months ago. Even being a man of few words, he talks ten times as often as she does. It is too small of a sample to make any generalizations though. I guess I need to get a few more parrots and see how that goes. LOL. NOT.

My limited experience supports Ray's theory in part. My female budgie and 'tiel spoke not a word, and the 'tiel barely made any sounds at all. My male TAG talks quite a bit - enough to entertain non-bird people. *shrug* Again, it's quite a small sample.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't have a female, but from things I have read over the years, I think that the females tend to be a little less bold. As young chicks, a male will often be the first to explore and may be a bit more gregarious.

Edited by jersmith

• 2 years later...

Interesting thread I can only speak from my experience we have 4 males and 1 is a TAG, 2 talk human well, 1 very well, 1 somewhat and one the TAG mumbles and sounds like an elderly lifetime smoker man. The girls 1 speaks very well and picks up words and phrases amazingly fast, 1 speaks clearly with fewer words and phrases and "sings" one does sounds rather than words poptops, pouring water, sparrows and squeaky doors ect. I think it is more of an individual preference than a male female thing. I also worked at Zoos and now volunteer at the local parrot Sanctuary so I have met a great many birds.

If we are talking greys i have 3 girls who talk non stop, one male and says nothing. Blue and gold macaws, all the boys are yackers and the girls only say hello. My scarlet is a girl though and talks alot too. Military, not sexed and have no idea talks so very much. Blue throat only says hello, constantly and she is a she. Cockatoos, my 2 girls talk and my boy doesn't.

We rescued a boy sunconure that had a sad story,,,, he couldnt say a word. Would attack humans jugular! Kiki the Amazon, fell in love with him. Sophie the grey, fought for his affection, because Kiki loved him. He would find himself snuggled between the two of them and loved to death! He got over his attack on humans, but came out easily to complain how the girls were sinking his rope which he didnt appreciate , and he needed some space! Never a human word, but " hello". He had a good life with us until he died of natural causes. Nancy