NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Lets Bust a Myth 1

Ray P

I thought this would be the best room for this as we the members have many species of parrots and other bird species.

If you wish we can have a thread for each myth and label it as for example myth 1 or myth 2.

This can be a debate with both sides stating their case and in the end you decide.

I have two to start with but will list only one for this thread

Lets Bust a Myth 1

If you are going to have more than one parrot they should all come from the same continent.

IMO this myth is busted. Many members of this forum have parrots from all over the world.

I think this myth was started because each species may have different diet requirements and you would have to have a food plan for each parrot.

Your comment one way or the other.

Oh for the next thread Lets bust a myth 2

Male parrots are better talkers that female parrots. This one could have a twist.

Sorry, I can't bust this myth because I believed it when we set up house. Both mine are from Africa. We had a red bellied parrot first and I always wanted an African grey so it worked out well. Java the red bellied parrot has been with three different African greys and it has been harmonious for the most part. Gilbert is a little different because he has his own baggage and issues. What worked for us is the personality traits are similar, so it could just be that they have similar dust issues, similar eating habits and similar characteristics. Even though they are from the same continent, Africa is so extensive they are not likely to have ever had ancestors interacting in the wild.

Actually, I've never heard this myth before.

I have a mix of birds - a Grey and a lovebird from Africa, and an Amazon from South America. They all get along okay, but they don't like to share space. (Well, Oboe the lovebird does, but the big birds won't let him.) So as long as they can keep enough space between themselves, everything's cool. For example, if Simon and Kazoo end up on the same boing, one of them has to abandon his perch (usually it's whoever's on the lowest perch).

I feed them all pretty much the same stuff, although Simon likes Harrison's pellets and the other two like Hagen's. They all get offered fresh food for breakfast and homemade mash for dinner.

I hadn't heard this one before either, though inadvertently followed it for a long time - all of my birds were originally Australian (cockatiel, budgie, and zebras), though in reality, of course, they were all American. Once I branched out and got Spencer (TAG), considering the similar dust levels, I think the Australian and African got on well together and given their vast size difference, had different pellets anyway.