NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Bird is Sick. It does not eat or drink anything. Sudden onset

inc0gnito

I have a 10 month old African Grey. It was on a diet of few Sunflower seeds, some fresh Carrots, Cucumbers, Green Chillis, Harrison's Pellet formula etc, Plums, Pumpkins etc. However yesterday we gave it a shower. After the shower it was kept in its cage in a warm room, with its cage covered by a bedsheet so as to keep the air drafts if there were any out. However I started noticing last night itself that it was acting lethargic and has not touched its food every since late last night. It has not made a single noise since yesterday.

I took it so some vet this afternoon. It got a shot of Antibiotics and some vitamins. But its still lethargic and would not eat anything at all. I've been force feeding it some Cerelac now and then. Any help?

I don't have any advise for you as I'm still waiting for my baby to come home. I do hope yours is feeling better soon.

Sassy

Unfortunately I live in a part of the world that has little to no access to Parrot vets. So I am really worried about my African Grey. If it does not improve by morning time, I am taking it to another vet.

I have a 10 month old African Grey. It was on a diet of few Sunflower seeds, some fresh Carrots, Cucumbers, Green Chillis, Harrison's Pellet formula etc, Plums, Pumpkins etc. However yesterday we gave it a shower. After the shower it was kept in its cage in a warm room, with its cage covered by a bedsheet so as to keep the air drafts if there were any out. However I started noticing last night itself that it was acting lethargic and has not touched its food every since late last night. It has not made a single noise since yesterday.

I took it so some vet this afternoon. It got a shot of Antibiotics and some vitamins. But its still lethargic and would not eat anything at all. I've been force feeding it some Cerelac now and then. Any help?

First off, you should stay in close contact with your vet. I hope he's an avian vet. Also remember that a shot of antibiotics won't cause instant good results. Things like that take time. This only happened last night but it's impossible to tell you what to do because we don't know how serious the problem is, don't know about the past history of the bird, don't know if the antibiotic was needed etc. We're not vets here and we try not to overrule what vets prescribe. You should contact the vet and ask exactly how to handfeed the bird, how much to feed and the proper thing to feed. Some of the items you already mentioned can cause diarhea.

Cucumbers,----no good

Plums, Pumpkins -----no good

You should try to give very dark green veggies. No fruits.

Much more parrot mix than usual---a standard parrot mix gotten in pet stores.

Remember, keep talking to that vet.

I have figured out whats wrong with it. I noticed this morning that one of its ears was swollen shut. Looks like a ear infection. After a shower that seems to be the most likely cause. Will take him to another vet tomorrow. So far I've been force feeding it some cerelac. I put a hot water bottle in his cage at the bottom to keep the temperature up. Removed all his toys so he can conserve his energy into fighting this infection.

incOgnito... Your bird may be sick. You may be right that his ear is the problem! Excellent observation. PLEASE don't force feed any food of any kind! It will NOT help. Lets see what the vet says. Encourage fluids, but if not interested, take note, and let your vet know. Never force feed fluids, or solids. If a bird stops eating, there is a reason. We are all here to help you Nancy

Unfortunately I live in a part of the world that has little to no access to Parrot vets. So I am really worried about my African Grey. If it does not improve by morning time, I am taking it to another vet.

I'm really sorry and i hope he gets better soon. Which part of the world you live in?

Today he is exhibiting a new symptom. He has labored breathing. I made a video. I have an appointment with another vet today. Twix, I just moved to this place called Sharjah in UAE. Its close to Dubai. I am relatively new here and don't know much about anything here. I also do not have a driver's license yet, so Its sort of hard for me to take the parrot around, but I ask some friends to help me out whenever they can.

I am so sorry for your loss but it stresses the importance of knowing where a good vet is and taking your bird in to see one when it first shows any signs of illness for birds are masters of hiding it until it is not longer able to. I know it is difficult where you live but if you plan to get another bird you should do some research to find any and all avian vets that are any where close to you so you will be ready if needed. Please accept my condolenses on your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss but it stresses the importance of knowing where a good vet is and taking your bird in to see one when it first shows any signs of illness for birds are masters of hiding it until it is not longer able to. I know it is difficult where you live but if you plan to get another bird you should do some research to find any and all avian vets that are any where close to you so you will be ready if needed. Please accept my condolenses on your loss.

Yeah. I get it. I tried calling around most of the Avian clinics that I found in Dubai and Sharjah, most of them even though they say they take emergencies, simply never had the Doctor available to take a look at my parrot. I will first try to find a reputable shop that actually knows how to take care of Parrots, before even attempting to purchase another grey. Although I wouldn't lie, I really wanna fill that hole in my heart asap. :(

The poor thing died in my hands. And when I looked into its eyes, just before it died - it seemed to me they had all the protests in the world in them, begging me to save it. :(

I didn't mean to sound so harsh but if we are going to be good stewards of bird ownership then we owe it to them to be prepared for whatever happens and that means knowing where good vets are in case we need them. When you get your next grey you should have it checked out by an avian vet and run blood work so you know you are getting a healthy bird.

I know you want to fill that void in your heart because you are hurting but don't rush into anything until you are ready to take care of another grey, not to replace him because you will never forget him but because you have lots of love to give, the one you lost knew that too.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh but if we are going to be good stewards of bird ownership then we owe it to them to be prepared for whatever happens and that means knowing where good vets are in case we need them. When you get your next grey you should have it checked out by an avian vet and run blood work so you know you are getting a healthy bird.

I know you want to fill that void in your heart because you are hurting but don't rush into anything until you are ready to take care of another grey, not to replace him because you will never forget him but because you have lots of love to give, the one you lost knew that too.

I am also sorry if I sounded harsh. It was not my intent. You have been a tremendous help and I completely agree with you that next time I will scope out a proper vet before hand and get the bird checked out. The problem is most of these Greys are sold in bird markets "as is" in Sharjah, UAE. I don't know much about Dubai. Most sellers also say that once the parrot is sold it is yours. They have a rudimentary Pet Doctor in the market, who does not run any tests at all and simply just takes a look at the bird and points out some things he thinks is wrong or simply asks you to choose another bird.

I just saw that TWIX is from Dubai and owns a few birds, maybe he can help me out here.

Btw. I used to live in Alexandria, Virginia not too long ago. A few months ago.

Such sad news and very bad experience just having gotten your first grey. I know it is so difficult in your country to find a good breeder ot pet store and even more so a very experienced Avian Veterinarian.

I have no doubt you will be very conscious of this going forward to ensure you first to start off with a healthy grey and have that avian vet already in your book for any check-ups or emergencies. I know of one poor fellow that used to be on this forum that actually had to travel out of country on an emergency for his grey, which ultimately ended up dieing because even with that colossal effort, too much time had already elapsed.

I wish you well and look forward to hearing from you again as you search for your next grey. :)

• Haha 1

No one knows how hard it really is till it happens to them. The pain the tear's the blame, especially when it's out of your control such as our friends in country's with out proper vet support. Hind sight is wonderful, at the proper time.....My friend, if you wish for another parrot, by all means get it, you knows what you need to do. And don't blame yourself.

Jay

I am heartbroken over your loss. How sad for you. I know you did the best you could for him under the circumstances. Unfortunately by the time birds show any symptoms, it is usually too late..

I do,want to say, that depending on the part of the world you are from, it can be nearly impossible to find an avian vet. We in the United States are very lucky in that regard, we have many here. You do the new you can in your world for your pets. I live in the US and although I have 6 birds, I don't use a board certified avian vet. The closest one is too far away, however my vet has a grey and a big part of his practice IS birds and hs been for many years. He is the best in this area.

Please fill that void in your hearts soon as you can. Even it it's not a grey, other species like a cockatiel would do wonders.

I knew you are a UAE resident and i had a feeling you bought your Grey from Sharjah. I am really sorry that you had to go through this, i've been there before and my heart was broken. There was not much i could do. After Twix passing away, i had to do some research on Sharjah bird market. I came to know they don't really care much about birds health or their living condition. The lack of care made diseases spread in between birds. All they care about is making quick money by selling the birds cheaper than the reputed pet stores. That's very sad but it does happen in many countries around the world. Don't feel bad and it's not your fault. Moral of the story "Never buy anything from that market" and i mean nothing at all (Food, toys,....etc), there is a shop inside Dragon Mart that sells everything but not food. I buy DJs food online (http://dubaipetfood.com).

There are few good avian vets in the UAE and i can tell you they are expensive. Owning a GREY is expensive anyway, and be prepared to spend serious cash at least in the beginning. I can arrange a new healthy CAG through a local breeder i know. Then you will have to take the bird to an avian vet for health check and he may give him an injection just like he did with my DJ. The cage you have at the moment may be contaminated with a virus (MAYBE). It has to be washed with vinegar along with a bird-safe disinfectant, then should be left in the sun for a day. I saw it in the photo and i think it's little small for a CAG.

If you need help with anything at all, please let me know. Sorry for your loss again.

I knew you are a UAE resident and i had a feeling you bought your Grey from Sharjah. I am really sorry that you had to go through this, i've been there before and my heart was broken. There was not much i could do. After Twix passing away, i had to do some research on Sharjah bird market. I came to know they don't really care much about birds health or their living condition. The lack of care made diseases spread in between birds. All they care about is making quick money by selling the birds cheaper than the reputed pet stores. That's very sad but it does happen in many countries around the world. Don't feel bad and it's not your fault. Moral of the story "Never buy anything from that market" and i mean nothing at all (Food, toys,....etc), there is a shop inside Dragon Mart that sells everything but not food. I buy DJs food online (http://dubaipetfood.com).

There are few good avian vets in the UAE and i can tell you they are expensive. Owning a GREY is expensive anyway, and be prepared to spend serious cash at least in the beginning. I can arrange a new healthy CAG through a local breeder i know. Then you will have to take the bird to an avian vet for health check and he may give him an injection just like he did with my DJ. The cage you have at the moment may be contaminated with a virus (MAYBE). It has to be washed with vinegar along with a bird-safe disinfectant, then should be left in the sun for a day. I saw it in the photo and i think it's little small for a CAG.

If you need help with anything at all, please let me know. Sorry for your loss again.

Yeah, never again from Sharjah bird market. I was in the process of buying a newer bigger Cage for the fellow, because I felt it was too small for him. I have left the cage outside in the sun for a few days. I will clean it up with vinegar just to disinfect it. Also need to clean up around the house for a few days to make sure there is no remnant germs around the place.

I am interested in this breeder you are speaking about. Is there any contact number or info I can reach out to them at? But I still need to know a good avian vet in Dubai or sharjah.

Thanks so much for all the help. Its such a relief to find a person who is more or less in the same area as I am and who is a Grey lover. :)