NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Green Wing Macaw

Luvparrots

So today I went to a local pet shop and saw the most sweet Green Wing Macaw. His name is Rocky and he is 2 years old. Green Wing Macaws are the 2nd largest kinds of macaw right behind the Hyacinth Macaw. The Green Wing is supposedly nicknamed the "Gentle Giant" because he is so mild mannered. Anyhow, I have to stop myself from wanting this macaw because he is really and I mean really too much parrot for me. He is easily 36" long, that's 3 feet! And his beak is as long as my hand with the fingers extended. he is one big bird. Anyways, I had to share this sweet guy with you all.

http://www.parrot-bird.com/parrot-pictures/green_winged_macaw/Macaw-parrot-165.jpg

(this is not Rocky as I had no camera with me but this is a pretty close picture of what he looks like).

When I got home I called to see if Rocky was for sale, he is for $1,600. But my house is not big enough for 4 parrots and certainly not big enough for a Green Winged Macaw to even spread his wings out to fly. But if I thought I could manage such a bird, I would certainly bring him home in a heartbeat.

I do not have MBS, I do not have MBS, I do not have MBS.

Say this over and over, or buy a bigger house.

Lets see I think you said I will not take in another bird unless it really, really, really really needed a home.

OK this sounds like MBS to me

Relax everyone, I know I could not possibly give Rocky the good home he deserves. My house is too small, and my Ana Grey would either be very intimidated or very bloody after a fight with Rocky. Rocky actually has it quite well in this pet store and has a buddy named Billy who is owned by the owners and they play beak wars. I understand they are quite good buds and hang together all the time. Their out of cage perches are huge and right next to each other. See this two huge parrots together is a beautiful sight. But if I marriage a millionaire or inherit large sums of money, I would definitely look into just an adoption again. if I go into the pet shop again, I will try to remember my camera.

You are a smart woman Janet to know your limitations, sure you were tempted as I have been a time or two in the past but it sounds like Rocky has a friend right now and who knows if your ship does come in you could take them both. Yes please do take the camera if you return to the store.

• 4 months later...

Macaws are certainly impressive. I am sure they make wonderful fids as well. Janet I am in your boat. I often toy with the idea of getting another bird, but I live in a small condo and know my limitations like you recognize yours. I wish I had more opoprtunity to just be around other parrots to get a bit of a fix--and then go home to Gracie and be content. In general I am happy that Gracie and I are a little dynamic duo.

Ray, I tried. "I'm not going to look, I'm not going to look." It didn't last long enough to finish reading the thread. What a gorgeous creature. I have been spending a great deal of energy staying away from looking at Amazons. I do know the limitations of Java and Gilbert so that is keeping me afloat against the MBS that is haunting me. Thanks for sharing your picture and your strength Janet.

• 2 weeks later...

my next bird will be a green wing :) just not sure when. a friend of mine just took one in and I tried my best to talk him out of it! so I could try to keep him...... poor bird was left in a abandon meth house-trailer. really sad situation. I still wish my friend would turn the bird over to me. although now I have the bg and would have to figure out some isolation :)...... I have always been a person who rescues. so this bird was and is calling my name. then another side of me knows that a macaw is a lifetime ....... so I question the thought of bringing in a rescue who clearly is going to come with issues. I tinker with the idea of a baby :) a friend of mine said she would wean it for me.............. so maybe I will go that way when I feel ready. then I will know my bg will be protected from strange bird nasties....... and I will get one without issues lol! but then again......... so many need a home like mine

ya he thought that because of the grey down............ he assumed it was feathers........ nope sorry. and I feel a bit safe in saying here since it is a grey place and he would probably never come in here lol! but really he does not need this bird...... or his blue and gold......... the poor birds are on a awful diet of crap seed and salty crackers..... the bg sits on top of his cage and is never held. he is so cage aggressive..... and now this poor green wing...... I have only been to the house 2 times and on my second visit I was holding the bg. It did however bite me lol! but that does not scare me. I brought them over some natural grape vines for perches . maybe if I keep pestering they will give me the green wing lol!

• 9 months later...

I never thought in a million years that i would own a green wing macaw, but i tell you what it is a long story but i will never regret bringing him into my house. He is the love of my life i tell you. Most amazing bird and personality. I sure hope that one you will own one of these. It sure is worth every penny.