NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help asap!

Talon

I need a quick answer to a question. If a cockatiel is known to occasionally screech, is that normal behavior for them?

I cant give you any more info, other than he occasionally screeches....I have the chance to adopt a free male, and he does talk, allows some head scratches, but was told he occasionally screeches...dont need a screeching bird...what to do, what to do?

Talon, from the very little I looked into cockatiels, I did learn that like most parrots they can be shriekers and squawkers if they are bored and not given enough personal time/toys/thins to do by their care-providers. So go look at this little fella and see if you like his personality and see what conditions it looks like he was living in. Ask the owners how much time they are able to spend with the little guy and see if it probably is that he is lonely that he is a screamer. Use your intuition because in the long run that is all we really have as each situation/parrot is different. Good luck!!!

I answered an add on Craigs list a few weeks ago, and never heard back, so I assumed someone else adopted him. But I just got an email from the woman and she rescued him from a humane society as it was next to barking dogs. She is looking for a forever home.......so..... what do you guys think? :)

One person's description of a screech is a chirp to the next person. We fostered a cockatiel for five months after a neighbor's family pleaded. He was afraid of everthing and they had five kids and a couple of dogs. When they brought in a boxer as a rescue dog, it attacked the bird cage, tipped it over and scared little Milo out of his mind and that is when he came to our house. In the first three weeks, I can positively say he screeched. He also hissed and was as close as I have seen to a bird gone insane. My sewing room was in an upstairs bedroom and he stayed up there where it was quiet and predictable. In three weeks, he was coming out and sitting on my shoulder and in five months, I never heard another screech. His home was to be with a friend my age with no kids at home. We kept him while they were preparing for a move from Texas to Virginia and transferred ownership when they moved to their new home. So, screeching could be an interpretation or it could be he really is in an upsetting environment.

• Haha 1

I am such a sucker...just what I need another bird cage to clean...:)

I just dont want Nilah my amazon to pick up screaming, she yells now, but it is the human language, dont need her to scream like I hear other amazon owners say...SO???

MORE ADVICE PLEASE.....................:)

mmm to be honest since my tiel(dobi) come and he does screech for 15 min around 4 times a day-momo learn that sound.i never know tiel can screech this long and many times.

but the screech wasnt too bad,its like arkkkkkkkkk akkkkkkk akkkkkk aaaaaa ckckckck weird sound,and not that loud.when dobi screech,momo scream too i guess he just want to defeat dobi sound.dobi screech the most around evening-that one makes me headache because he dsnt stop and make momo nervous.what i can tell u its not that loud but..little bit annoying. :)

so whats ur decision??good luck!

Ok I say go for it and this is why.

A cockatiel just like any other parrot has a time when they can be vocal. But they do not make the noise that we as parrot people know with our greys and zons.

With a little attention they calm down. Even at their loudest there is no match to our greys and zons. There are many times I wish they were more vocal.

My tiles will try to keep up with Corky, but there no match.

We have greys and zons and there is no way a cockatiels can run us out of town.

Edited by Ray P

I think if your bird screeches, there is a huge chance that it is feeling lonely.Best thing to do in such a situation is to get a good company for him.Also, let him play with some toy stuff.

Rotate the cage, make it understand that somebody outside is caring and playing with it.I hope this helps.

go for it talon!!u wont regret!!i adopt dobi for my hubby but im falling for him also now :)

cleaning cage is really easy they dont make much mess compare to grey.

their waste is small and really easy to clean.

i support u to take him 200%!:)

Hee hee! Just watched a few screaming cockatiels, I call that quiet whistles compared to Nilah and her yelling!!!!

I am waiting for the womans email back. She wanted to check me out, see pics of my birds etc. I sent her a few, and sent her here to check me out. So the wait is on....... I live about 20 min away........so I can be there ASAP!

I am such a sucker...just what I need another bird cage to clean...:)

I just dont want Nilah my amazon to pick up screaming, she yells now, but it is the human language, dont need her to scream like I hear other amazon owners say...SO???

MORE ADVICE PLEASE.....................:)

I don't mind our tiel's noise at all.... I actually like it. However, Sam has magnified it, and it's not so cute then. That being said, I LOVE my old tiel and wouldn't trade him for anything. He whistles, and dances, but no words.

Good Luck!

I am going to suggest...Cockatiels greet every day with beautiful songs...when we have an occasional yard sale, people always comment about the wonderful songs they sing. Remember, the female only makes a couple of whistles, it is the male with the songs and melodies... (Sometimes, you will find a female singer...)

Maggie

The tiel is a member of the cockatoo species so yes, the do yell a bit simply because that's their nature. Some people cofuse *screech* with *yell* or *scream*. Tiels will yell but not screech unless the bird is kept in the same bad situation that happens to cockatoos. What's that particular bad situation that cockatoos go through to make them yell often?

What's that particular bad situation that tiels go through to make them yell often?

The answer is--------When both birds are constantly kept caged all the time, they'll get very loud. They'll both clingy birds and constantly living in a cage all day makes them loud. So, if you intend on getting a tiel and keeping it locked up all day--Don't get that tiel.

Cockatiels are far far more cage tolerant than a cockatoo and they do not have the plucking issues like a too.

They are a very easy going bird and they don`t cling like a too even when they are very social and bonded.

They can spend a lot of time in their cage and come out very loveable with no issues.

They are IMO a very good first parrot for a new commer.

guys,i let my tiel out from cage for 10 hours everyday but why he still yell and screech when i put him inside cage?(i lock him 1.5 hours before sleeping time)

even my grey seems okay playing inside cage but my tiel get so upset and beg for step up out of cage?

he knows i wont let him out no matter what he do because its sleeping time,he just keep trying.(he did like maraton running inside his cage,bobing his head and lift one of his leg for step up)

is this normal?