NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wanting to get back into birds

Hello!

This should probably be in the introduction thread, but I saw more people viewing this thread! (:

Anyways, my name is Brooke. I'm from South Carolina and i'm 19. I'm in college and I work part time as a waitress.

Long story short, I want a bird. I used to have cockatiels in high school but I gave them away due to me not having enough time to care for them, so I gave them to a better home. I would go to school from 7-2 then work from 4:30-10.

Now, I have more than enough time on my hands and I want another bird! I know jumping from cockatiels to an African Grey is a huge milestone but I have experience with them. You see, my aunt is an animal enthusiast. She has 10 acres out in the country, consisting of 10 horses, a pig named Kirby, 9 dogs, a barn cat, a 9-foot deep pool full of koi fish, and she has 5 birds. She has 2 amazons (1 yellow necked and the other blue something?), 2 sun conures, and 1 hawk-headed parrot. She used to have an African Grey named Gabby, who I adored. She would allow me to put her on her back and rub her tummy, give her showers and wrap her up in a towel like a baby, let me kiss her on her beak, and all kinds of stuff. We loved each other a lot, and I would spend my summers with my aunt in high school and I took care of her. But sadly, while my aunt was gone one day the bird managed to open the cage and the dogs got her.

Maybe that wasn't making a long story short... haha. But i'm ready for another bird. I have about $3,000 saved up for everything, but... i'm in a bind. Since i'm still living at home, the bird will have to stay in my room (I can put a play stand in the family room) and i'm limited to space in my bedroom. I only have room for a 32" Long x 22" Deep x (doesn't matter how tall) Will this be big enough for a Grey? Maybe a Timneh? Or will I have to resort to a smaller parrot? I probably won't be moving out until about 3 years. I'm starting the nursing program at school in the Spring and it's a 2 year program. Yay! I'll be and RN!!

Please and thank you!!

Brooke

Edited by BrookeIsRadical

Hello Brooke. I think a cage 32" Long x 22" Deep is far to small to keep a Grey except as just a sleeping cage. It is just big enough for a budgie or maybe a cockatiel. My advice is that as you are 19 you are just at the beginning of putting your life together you should wait until you have your own home with the space and time to devote to giving a Grey a home. As you know they are smart birds, love attention and need space. I think a budgie is best for you at the moment. They are amazing little creatures and very smart but a lot less demanding than a Grey and can get by with much less space.

Steve n Misty

Hello Brooke,

After considering all that you have written on where you are in your life and where you are going education and career wise. Itruly believe the tiiming and circumstances are not well suited to taking on an african grey or other medium to large size parrot. With the class schedule, studies and time required to intern etc. and the 12 plus hour shifts nursing requires, you should truly wait until your life has stabilized and you know without a doubt your on your won, have the room, the time and the money to probably care for an african grey. Once you are in that stable condition, I have no doubt you would be a great parrot owner. :)

You're right... it would be better until I settled down. Maybe I won't get an African Grey since they require a lot of time with their owner, but I would still like a bird. Maybe a conure, a parrotlet, or a IRN? Maybe?? Haha, I just really want a bird buddy! Not so much a parakeet.....

Hi Brooke, I can understand you really, really wanting a "real" parrot. I raised three kids and then a by-marriage grandson before I was able to fulfill my love of wanting a grey or cockatoo. During raising the kids I settled for parakeets and canaries, and you are right, not as fulfilling but what I had time and money for. The question is not really can you afford a grey; it is do you have the personal time for a grey as they are so darn intelligent and can become bored to the point of screaming or plucking if not stimulated. I suggest that you check out the information members have provided in our new sub-rooms on different parrots and see if one of those species can satisfy your parront desires until you really know that you have the time for a demanding grey. Believe me, I feel for you as a grey is something I wanted for over 45 years before I could honestly say, I had the personal time, money and energy to hopefully be a Greyt grey parront. Whatever you decide I know you will do it honestly and with the interest of a, I believe, a potentially greyt parront. No one wants to dissuade you from ever being a grey parront only to honestly think about whether the time is now. Only you know the correct answer.

You're right... it would be better until I settled down. Maybe I won't get an African Grey since they require a lot of time with their owner, but I would still like a bird. Maybe a conure, a parrotlet, or a IRN? Maybe?? Haha, I just really want a bird buddy! Not so much a parakeet.....

Consider a Quaker. They are big parrots in little packages.

Hi Brooke,

I am in a similar scenario as you. Being also from SC and finishing college I spent months researching greys and talking to people on this forum before finally deciding to go ahead and purchase Luna. I too, do not have my whole life planned out yet and am sure there will be rough patches along the way and did now make my decision lightly. I've had Luna for almost 2 weeks now and between balancing classes, social life, and working is a real challenge. However, to me it is completely worth it. I've made a commitment that I plan to stick to and would not give Luna away for the world. I suggest you think long and hard before potentially jumping into this. It's certainly not impossible but it IS time consuming and a lot of work and effort. You have to truly WANT and have the ABILITY to own a grey and be ready to make sacrifices such as cutting down on travels/social life etc. Also, I highly suggest to think about it further when you get your own place and have space for a bigger cage. Jumping into this would not be a good idea.

If you do have the time and truly want to own a grey, take your time before committing. A grey will be there for a lifetime so there is no rush!