NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

General information of cockatoos

Luvparrots

There are 21 species of Cockatoos (Toos) and approximately 40 subspecies, including the cockatiel. These flighted creatures are native to Australia, Papua New Guinea, Philippine Island, and Indonesia. The name “cockatoo” comes from the Indonesian word Kakatuwah, meaning vise or grip referring to its strong beak. Toos range in size from about 12” to 27”. The larger Cockatoos include the Palm Cockatoo, Moluccan Cockatoo, Greater Sulfur Crested Cockatoo and the Umbrella Cockatoo. The smaller Cockatoos include the Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, the Goffin's cockatoo and the cockatiel.

The most remarkable feature of the Cockatoo is its crest which when excited or alarmed becomes raised and erectile. When the crest is lowered, the feathers fold back over the head and the crest is less visible. Therefore, the major purpose of the crest is communication. A lowered crest can indicate calm, friendliness and approachability.

In their native land Cockatoos feed on a variety of seeds, tubers, nuts and fruits, such as papaya, durian, langsat and rambutan. They love corn so are considered crop pests by the local farmers. They also eat crickets and skinks (lizard). Cockatoos use their strong and large beak for cracking large seeds and nuts. They can, therefore, cause a devastating brutal bite.

In captivity Cockatoos are generally fed a parrot mix of various seeds, nuts, dried fruits and vegetables. As well as fresh vegetables and fruit.

Because of their intelligence and need for entertainment the larger the cage, the better. Lots of chew toys and climbing perches are a must. Quality out of cage time with a dedicated owner is also a must for this affectionate feathered brainiac.

Because of the film Serpico and Al Pacino's character had a Cockatoo, and the television show Baretta where Robert Blake's character had a Triton Cockatoo named Fred. Cockatoo popularity took off in huge leaps and bounds. It is true that Cockatoos are highly intelligent and attractive parrots. They are mischievous beings and can have a comical attitude and are considered to have a very affectionate personality. However, Cockatoos require a lot of day to day attention otherwise they become bored and may start screaming and shrieking and become aggressive and cranky and then bite. Many Cockatoo owners describe their Too as being mean and a bad bird where in reality these cockatoos are just lonely, confused, displeased, or unhappy with the unsatisfactory treatment by their owners. A Cockatoo that is screaming and mutilating his feathers is most likely suffering from lack of attention and boredom. If you can't afford quality time to dedicate to your Cockatoo daily, you should not become a Cockatoo parront for both your sakes.

Cockatoos have a lifespan that can be long as 50-100 or more years. It is believed that Cockatoos are best kept by experienced large parrot owners who have ample time to cater to their demanding personal needs.

CharlieandMeg.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/salliequeen/sallies%20pics/c433.jpg"]

Queenie-1.jpg

MyPictures3486.jpg

Edited by luvparrots

This should be a lively room when Too's are involved, I know living with 2 Too's.

It may be helpful to post the short hand version of the more available Too types=

BP2 =Black Palm Cockatoo

RB2=Rose Breasted Cockatoo

U2=Umbrella Cockatoo

E2=Elanora Cockatoo

SC2=Sulfer Crested Cockatoo

G2=Goffins Cockatoo

BE2=Bare Eyed Cockatoo

SN2=Slender Billed Cockatoo

MM2=Major Mitchells Cockatoo

C2=Citron Cockatoo

Edited by Greywings

Greywings please post a thread or two about your "two Toos" (sorry had to print it{lol}). I would love to read about their antics good and bad. Perhaps you can calm some of the myths about the "velcro" parrot as they are all different just like our greys.

hi guys,

i live in iran now but indonesia is my hometown!:)

yes cockatoo is a domestic parrot there,the most cheapest parrot to find.sadly now they do many wild catch to export them to other country.they also being killed a lot by farmer because they like to steal crops specially corn.

mostly indonesian keep mollucan and sulphur crest kakatua.black kakatua is also can find there,but not many people keep them because they r too big.even wild, actually they are not really scared of human.if u have a big garden and put some rice/corn they will come and eat it.of course they will fly away if u come closer to them but if u offer them a long branch they will step up to the branch.its nice actually to watch them hanging around in your garden,just watch out for a loud scream because they come in group.

when the first time i came to iran,i ask the price for a medium crest cockatoo and...i was so shock!!they are very expensive here!!with the price that they sell i can buy 20 kakatua in my home country,lol.

We all benefit from hearing about these wonderful birds in their home country. thank you for sharing your own experiences with them in the garden that was fun to read. It is tragic how people traffic them in such a way that they are dying and sick in transit and their valued as cash rather than their lives.

yes greywings,

mostly this all happen in village.they catch them and export them to black market gang or they sell them to city(very cheap).i lived in city(there is no wild cockatoo in city) but i visit my family frequently to village and i saw many wild caught and trapping to wild cockatoo.we cant do anything because the city goverment not really care about this.dsnt mean that they are a lot and they will NOT finish if we pluck them always from their habitat. :(

• 1 year later...