NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

General information on the eclectus parrot

Luvparrots

The Eclectus parrot is native to northeastern Australia, Sumba, the Solomon Islands, New Guinea and the Maluku Islands. The extreme differences between the plumage colors of the male and female cause them to be extremely sexually dimorphic ( visual physical differences between sexes). They have sleek hairlike feathers which produce a glossy appearance. The male Eclectus has mostly bright florescent green plumage with blue primaries and red flanks and underwing coverts. There is a sprinkling of yellow feathering around the forehead. His tail feathers are green centrally and more blue as they get towards the edges. The male has a candy corn color beak. The female has mostly bright red and purple plumage with a red tail tinged with yellow and a very black beak. Her head is red and her front-side or abdomen is purple. Until the 20th Century this two dimorphically different parrots were believed to be two separate species.

eclectus-parrot-0003.jpg

Daisy2.jpg

The coloring of the plumage varies between the species of eclectus parrots. There is the Eclectus roratus roratus aka Grand Eclectus; Eclectus roratus vosmaeri, aka Vosmaer's Eclectus or Vos Eclectus; Eclectus roratus cornelia, aka Sumba Island Eclectus Parrot; Eclectus roratus riedeli aka Tanimbar Islands Eclectus Parrot; Eclectus roratus polychloros, aka New Guinea Red-sided Eclectus parrot; Eclectus roratus Macgillivrayi, aka Australian Eclectus parrot; and the Eclectus roratus solomonensis, aka Solomon Island Eclectus parrot.

The Eclectus requires vegetables high in beta-carotene, such as lightly cooked sweet potato, fresh broccoli and fresh corn on the cob. Fresh figs, mango, apples, and bananas are favorite fruits. Fresh greens such as endive or dandelions are very important to provide calcium and other nutrients. Sprays of millet is one seed source they highly enjoy. Nuts are a good source of vitamin E but should be limited in quantity in order to avoid too much fat in the diet and an obese parrot.

An Eclectus has the ability to learn to talk and speaks clearly and has a wide range of sounds including bell and gong tones, coos, whistles, squeals and honks. However they do have the ability to scream and shriek loudly when frightened or excited. On the downside, male Eclectus are quite sensitive and if stressed have been know to pluck their feathers. As a plus, the Eclectus does not create any feather dust as they have oil glands rather than dust glands for preening. This is great news for allergic people.

An Eclectus does well in a large cage or aviary, or at least in a cage with plenty of room for extending wings and moving and climbing around unencumbered. Plenty of out of cage time and toys are a must for a happy Eclectus. As for age, the average lifespan can extend over 30 to 45 years.

In captivity Eclectus parrots are generally calm birds displaying a pensive nature. They bring to mind both serenity and beauty. They watch people quietly and intensely so as to observe every movement. Their personality is considered extremely endearing.

Edited by luvparrots

Thanks luvparrots! The eclectus are one of my favorites. My heart still warms when I think about your eclectus that was rehomed with a neighbor friend. I'm so glad he is happy and loved. If I ever get another fid, the eclectus is on my short list.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...