NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

General information of parakeets

Luvparrots

Parakeet literally means “long tail”. These small to medium-sized birds belong with the parrot family and have long, tapered tail feathers rather than having stockier bodies and more square-shaped tails as found on larger parrots. It can be noted that because of their tapered tails, Alexandrine Parrots, Indian Ringneck Parrots, Sun Conures, and there are others, are also considered parakeets.

Being flock creatures these graceful, colorful and full-of vigor birds are very social among themselves and with people. There are over 120 species and subspecies of parakeets, some times called budgies or budgerigars.

Over thirty (30) species of some of the most remarkable colored parakeets are found in Australia. Over twenty-seven (27) species are found in the Central and South Americas, as well as many sub-species. The African parakeets, like those in the Americas live in tropical and subtropic regions. New Zealand has several exotic parakeets and some of the most unique characteristics are found in parakeets from Asia.

A parakeet is an ideal first bird for children or parrot novices. Parakeets are social and outgoing birds and have a lot of the qualities of the larger parrot and some unique characteristics of their own. They will bond easily with the care provider and if they get use to having a child around, they can successfully mix with a good-natured child. Parakeets love small toys and definitely provide a bell for your little bird. Parakeets also love to climb so provide both vertical and horizontal climbing bars/space.

Parakeets love baths so provide your little friend with a cool bathing spot at least twice a week in nice weather. Make sure to bathe your bird early enough so it can be completely dry before evening.

Parakeets are easily sexed. Just look at a parakeet's nose, or more accurately at the bump of flesh above its beak, the cere. A male has a bluish cere and the female has a brownish cere. Also males tend to be more talkative and easier to train and females tend to chew objects because of the instinct to carve out a nest for babies.

Parakeets in the wild live in colonies and are very sociable. Basically they do best as at least a pair if not a flock. The cage should be large enough for your bird to freely exercise and if possible fly around/flap its wings vigorously. Out of the cage time would be marvelous. Various perches of different shapes/sizes are a necessity. The cage should be covered at night and kept in a draft-free, low traffic atmosphere.

Food for your parakeet should consist of a variety of grain and millet seeds, plus some peas, carrots, broccoli, etc., as well as green leafy vegetables. Bean sprouts and alfalfa sprouts are great. A cuttlebone should be available to provide a calcium supplement for your parakeet.

Illness in a parakeet can be hard to spot. So watch your bird carefully and contact your avian veterinarian if signs of lack of activity, ruffled plumage, head tucked under a wing or rump, not eating and discharge from the nose/mouth or cloudy eyes appear with your parakeet. As with all birds strong smoke, scents or smells can be deadly to your feathered friend. Housing in a kitchen or bathroom is a definite no-no. The ideal room humidity for a parakeet should be in the 60-70 percentile.

Providing, a clean comfortable living space with lots of food, water and toys, and especially topped off with loving care makes for happy and healthy parakeets whose companionship can be enjoyed for 10 years or more.

parakeets.jpg

animals007.jpg

Edited by luvparrots

Thanks for unlocking this thread. Like many others, I had a little blue parakeet when I was an adolescent. He was very sweet and loved to play. I would play solitaire back in the day when I actually used a real deck of cards and he would come flip the cards over. He also like to land on the newspaper I was reading and when I bent it just right he would slide down and fly back up to do it over and over again. It was the time I spent with Pete that made me respond to the pleas of family to bring Java home and the rest is history. I don't know what took me so long to remember how much I loved birds but I am so glad I did.