NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quaker Parrots AKA Monk Parrots

Dave007

The quaker parrot is a very misunderstood bird. The history of the quaker starts in Argentina, Brazil, Hondurus and other related countries.

About 60 yrs ago, Quakers were accidently imported from the above countries. They weren't meant to be pets. When they reached American soil, they formed massive flocks and were constantly on the move. The quaker multiplied because their breeding/nesting is different than other parrots. Basically, they settled in southern, midwestern and northern states . In those areas there were huge farmlands that grew all types of veggies and they also had large dairy farms. The quakers invaded all of these farmlands and destroyed all the crops, mostly corn and wheat fields. Those areas were what the farmers made their money from.

So many farmers and other land officials formed an agency which made quakers illegal. Orders were put out to kill as many as was possible. As time went on, different states set into motion their own rules about quakers. The rules varied from state to state. The Dept of Agriculture was involved. They invented the rules.

Allowed to own--illegal to sell

Allowed to sell but must be banded or bird will be euthonized

Allowed to breed but can't be sold in pet stores

Allowed to be owned but can't be traded to other people

Not allowed to own bird--Bird will be taken away, euthinized and person will be fined

Not allowed to cross state lines. Jail time may be given.

So, the list goes on and on. In this modern age, the rules of quakers have eased up because they're not considered a threat to anyone even though all the rules still apply. Modern agencies are involved in many other major important things. It's not the same as the past.

Today, if I were to walk into the Dept of Agriculture buildings with one of my quakers, the first things people would say are *oh what a cute bird! Does it talk? Where can I get one? The history of the quaker is past tense.

In 2002 when I moved to PA, I was at a toll booth that was the entrance to PA. The man at the toll booth looked in my car, saw my 2 quakers and asked me if I wanted to sell them to him.

And in case I haven't mentioned it, remember the list I spoke about? PA has the most strict rules concerning quakers. Below is that State Law link concerning quakers

http://www.quakerville.com/qic/statelaw.asp

P1010007.jpg

My Quakers

Left----Baby-------17 yrs old

Right----Lola-------13 yrs old

Edited by Dave007

Excellent reading Dave. I looked up my state, Washington State, and as of 2011 there are absolutely no restrictions here. Great inform because my neighbor wants a Quaker. And by the way, your Quakers look great, thanks for sharing them with us!!

I am guessing that Baby and Lola were the passengers on your move to PA and you didn't sell them to the toll tender. They are endearing little parrots. I have read about them making nests that interfere with power lines and expected a much bigger bird, like the size of an amazon. Thanks for unlocking this thread so we can learn more about the reality instead of just the misperceptions. They must be intelligent and hardy to move to a new country and set up housekeeping and cause such a stir that laws were enacted.