NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parakeets

Ray P

The word Parakeet means (Longe Tail)and the name is used in the name of many other Species around the world.

For this forum I think the name to use should be budgie or budgerigar known as the common pet parakeet or Shell Parakeet and infoemally nicknamed Budgie.

They are found wild throughout the drier parts of Australia and have survived harsh inland conditions.

Budgies are popular around the world as pets because of their small size, low cost and their ability to mimic human speach and their playful nature.

Edited by Ray P

My first bird was a budgie. I find them highly underrated. They are gorgeous first of all. They have a zest for life and fun that is endearing, and if you take the time to nurture a relationship with them, they can bond as well as any parrot. Whenever I go to the pet shop to buy Gracie's pellets and toys, I always stop and visit the budgies.

I agree. We have a super sweet, very tiny budgie named Loverboy that was hand fed. I actually didn't even realize he could talk until just recently (terrible I know!) He says everything that my grey Willow used to say only in a tiny litle voice. I love him.