NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

General information on canaries

Luvparrots

The canary (Serinus canaria) is part of the finch family. This small active bird is native to the Azores, Madeira and The Canary Islands. Canaries normally reside in semi-open areas such as copses or orchards where they nest in trees or bushes. The life expectancy of a canary is around 10-15 years depending upon its genetic make-up and quality of diet. The canary's wingspan is 20-23 cm and weights between 12-29 grams and is between 12.5-13.5 cm long. In its native habitat, the canary is yellow-green with brownish streaking on its back. Many different color variations have been bred in captivity.

Canaries come in hundreds of varieties and are divided into three main categories: 1) Colored Canaries: bred for specific colors, i.e. Cinnamon Canaries, Lizard Canaries, Red Canaries, Stafford Canaries; 2) Song Canaries: bred for their ability to sing, i.e. Spanish Timbrado, Roller Canaries, Waterslagger, American Singer; and 3) Type Canaries: bred solely for appearance, physical traits and shape, i.e. Belgium Canaries, Crested Canaries, Gloster Canaries, Frilled Canaries, Scots Fancy Canaries.

Although canaries are never going to be considered a cuddly pet, they are very social and friendly. The male canary has a melodious song and although females normally are not singers, they are great chirpers. Canaries are a great choice for persons who enjoy watching birds rather than having a demanding pet that requires a lot of personal attention.

Housing for a canary should be as large as possible to give your canary room for flight or at least large enough for full extended wing flapping/exercising. A flight cage would be ideal but the cage at least should not be smaller than 12” wide and 17” long. Canaries also enjoy small toys especially bells they can ring.

A canary needs plenty of natural light but do not place the cage near air/heat vents or where it can be exposed to drafts. Be sure to cover your canary's cage at night so the light stops with the sunset and he can stay in tune with the seasons.

A proper diet for a canary should be a high-quality seed mix in addition to plenty of fresh food items including green leafy vegetables (fresh dandelions are very good for canaries). Including cooked beans and grains and egg in your canary's diet is also a plus, especially during molting season which occurs once a year usually in the summer time for appropriate 6/8 weeks. Also hemp seeds offer a complete amino acid profile and has an ideal balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids as well as provides an impressive amount of trace minerals. Hemp seeds also have the highest concentration of protein in the plant kingdom. Citrus fruits should not be part of a canary's diet as citrus can easily cause diarrhea.

Canaries should never be keep in the kitchen as smoke/cooking fumes/non-stick pots and pans, are dangerous/deadly to them. Also please note that air fresheners, scented candles and aerosol sprays are also hazardous to canaries.

Canaries also love bathing and should be able to indulge often. Offer cold water for your canary's bath as cold water improves feather condition. Warm water strips essential oils from the feathers and may encourage picking and itching. You should make sure your canary has plenty of time to bathe especially during molting season.

How do you know if a canary is male or female? The sure fire way is to take your canary to a veterinarian with a suitable ultrasound machine and he can tell you within minutes what sex your canary is.

Or you can try James Anagnos unusual way of sexing young chicks still in the nest:“sexing canaries is very easy to do when the young birds are still in the nest, when their first feathers come in and their wings still look like straws. Just tap the nest with your finger and the female birds will just stay there looking at you while male birds will all put their heads down and stick their behinds up in the air. This is 100% foolproof. Every bird that puts his head down is a male.” (from Avian Web)

How to know if your canary is healthy:

Your canary should be active and moving freely around its cage.

Your canary's feathers should appear to be bright, clean and colorful.

Your canary's eyes should be bright and clear.

Your canary if not singing should be chirping and making other happy noises.

If your canary is puffed up and sitting motionless, or has watery or red inflamed eyes; or watery discharge from the beak; or its droppings are white and watery, please contact your avian veterinarian.

With proper care you will enjoy a healthy canary that will be a pleasurable companion and, if male, sing with heart for you.

canaries.jpg

can-1.jpg

FreesiaBig.jpg

Edited by luvparrots

One of my best friends had a Canary for almost 20 years. For the first 10 years he thought Charlie was a male until "he" laid an egg. Despite the fact that it is rare for them to bond to humans, Charlie cuddled and enjoyed human contact very much. I guess you just never know. I love watching and listening to all the finch varieties. Little balls of feathered sunshine.

Thank you Janet, you are inspiring me to gather information and write about the red bellied parrot. I learned from your informative post and will be looking for more specifics on your little songbird friend in this new room. I love how this forum is evolving and creating a place to get to know all our parrots just a little better.

• 1 year later...