NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newbie from Texas

New to the forum here, I have found a lot of valuable information to apply to the care of my first african grey companion. I just got a vet check for my baby, breeder said it was a male but the vet thinks its a girl. Guess we will wait for the DNA results before I know for sure.

Don't have a name yet, just use "bird" and "parrot" during praise for now. We started foraging practice yesterday. Started with seeds under a piece of paper which eventually turned into tearing into a ball of paper for the "jack pot".

Had her in a smaller baby cage for a little while now until she gained her confidence and settled in. Friday she gets her big bird cage and will use the baby size for outdoor time.

It's amazing how much I love her already...a wild animal such is this! I love playing with her on the floor, watching her flap and fly. It will be such an experience watching her learn and grow into her own.

grey.jpg

Hello Jenlap and welcome to our family, you have a lovely looking baby Cag.

Please continue to read thru the threads here for lots of useful information and if you have questions feel free to ask any and we will help you in any way we can.

Thanks so much for including a pic of your baby in your intro post and we look forward to hearing whether its a boy or girl.

You have already had him/her vet checked and seems you are covering all the bases and doing a wonderful job being a first time grey owner.

It looks like he/she was clipped, I hope you will consider not clipping any longer and allowing him/her to fly around your house but weight the pros and cons and see what you come up with.

Yes, unfortunately she was clipped once before. I guess the breeder had it done, he recommended I keep them clipped. . .but I have my own agenda (maniacal laugh). I plan on leaving them unclipped, to me a bird not being able to fly is like a horse not being able to run, or a dog not being able to chew his bone. Sure they can survive, but its healthier if they can do what they were born to do.

I was first introduced to free flight when I had the opportunity to meet the macaws at the San Antonio Seaworld show. Watching them fly, disappearing beyond the trees, and returning was a moment I will never forget (though I may never allow free flight outside…seems scary). The trainer also discussed the quality of life they experience, and how much healthier they are.

Seeing my little girl fly from her cage to her perch near the dining table is so remarkable, although she is still working on the landings LOL

Your bird is very beautiful!

As judygram stated above "..but weight the pros and cons and see what you come up with." I am a bird groomer and before becoming a bird groomer I was against clipping the wings as I believe a bird was meant to fly and that is how they protect themselves in the wild. I met a man who lost his bird while he was cooking. As he was in the kitchen cooking he had water boiling on the stove and the bird flew to his shoulder and I guess overshot its landing. A bird that couldn't fly got attacked by a dog. The bird is alright and he seems to be healing well. In those two scenarios we have a reason to and not to. In keeping these wild animals as our companions we must definitely weigh the pros and cons of them living in our homes.

Aside from those heart breaking stories, I am glad that you have allow your bird to fly...My African grey is 6 weeks and I am still debating whether or not to let her fly when the time comes. As a bird groomer I have a very hard time clipping birds wings as I am torn about it. I hope I haven't offended you or upset you in any way from this post as it wasn't my intention.

I hope to hear more about your bird and Welcome!

Your baby is beautiful. You might consider getting her/him used to an aviator harness while she's young so that you can take her safely outside to fly without fear of losing her. Jay is right, your life has changed. Welcome to constant cleaning, feathers stuck to your clothes, bird dander everywhere, and of course, lots of laughter. She'll amaze you every day, and we encourage bragging!

Guest candismalli

Welcome from another Texan (transplant, lol). There are lots of wonderful people on these forums with great advice. As far as the free flighted bird goes, I keep my Charlie in his cage when I am cooking, when my old dog is around, and when the kids have friends over that will open & close the door without being careful, otherwise he can fly wherever in the house, and I have an aviator harness in the mail that I can't wait to get so I can have him come outdoors with me!

Thanks for the wonderful greetings and compliments!

What a scary thought, your bird being cooked! I will be sure to keep my baby in the cage when Im doing that, as well as when people are going in and out of the house.

I JUST ordered a harness for my grey about 5 mins ago, should be here in a week and I cant wait! Also included some Harrison's pellets, seed mix w/bee pollen, and a foraging toy. Geez I could easily go broke spoiling this 3/4 lb companion LOL

• 2 weeks later...
New to the forum here, I have found a lot of valuable information to apply to the care of my first african grey companion. I just got a vet check for my baby, breeder said it was a male but the vet thinks its a girl. Guess we will wait for the DNA results before I know for sure.

Don't have a name yet, just use "bird" and "parrot" during praise for now. We started foraging practice yesterday. Started with seeds under a piece of paper which eventually turned into tearing into a ball of paper for the "jack pot".

Had her in a smaller baby cage for a little while now until she gained her confidence and settled in. Friday she gets her big bird cage and will use the baby size for outdoor time.

It's amazing how much I love her already...a wild animal such is this! I love playing with her on the floor, watching her flap and fly. It will be such an experience watching her learn and grow into her own.

grey.jpg

Hello, your african grey looks beautiful.Nice to know that you care so much about such lovely creatures.

Also, amazing that their company can fill up our lives with love and happiness.