NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pics of my new baby :)

BeeFernandez22

To all of you that were so helpful in helping me locate a baby CAG, THANK YOU!! I finally was able to get a deposit down on a baby from Georgia of the Parrot Posse. He/She was hatched on March 25 and she does not let them go home until they are fully weaned and fledged so I will not actually get to bring my baby home until August. Until then I will visit weekly. Here are some pics from my visit this week of my little guy/gal. (Can't wait until it is old enough to have sexed so I can finally stop saying "it". Sounds wrong....)

Birdy.jpg

Birdy2.jpg

Beautiful baby! You are going to have a lot of fun with him/her! BTW, sexing can be done anytime just a drop of blood for dna. Keep sending us pictures! :)

Thanks!! Yes, I know they can test blood but my breeder likes to have all of her babies surgically sexed and tattooed under the wing by the vet before they go home so that is why I have to wait awhile :(

I have sat in that very same chair and held my Chickie when she was a baby! :). Congrats!! Surgical sexing isn't as common, but if you have ANY concerns Georgia will address them. I was unsure at first, but I trust Georgia 100% and she's a total wealth of knowledge. The wait is intolerable, I know, but, when it's all done, you'll have a well socialized, well mannered, and fully fledged baby to bring home in about 4 months from now. :) Keep the pics coming!! :)

Your baby is adorable and the wait will be like forever but I have reservations about surgically sexing all the babies, why subject them to unnecessary medical procedures just to find out the sex, otherwise she sounds wonderful as a breeder.

I think the OP made a mistake calling the process that your breeder uses to sex birds--it's called DNA testing and there's nothing surgical about it. Surgical procedures have to do with health issues. Sexing isn't a health issue. It's simply a convience for people to use.

I think the OP made a mistake calling the process that your breeder uses to sex birds--it's called DNA testing and there's nothing surgical about it. Surgical procedures have to do with health issues. Sexing isn't a health issue. It's simply a convience for people to use.

No mistake, Dave. My breeder prefers to have her babies surgically sexed. She feels this gives the vet a chance to view all the internal organs for health purposes, as well as determine gender. I know some do not prefer this method, but I trust my breeder.

I have sat in that very same chair and held my Chickie when she was a baby! :). Congrats!! Surgical sexing isn't as common, but if you have ANY concerns Georgia will address them. I was unsure at first, but I trust Georgia 100% and she's a total wealth of knowledge. The wait is intolerable, I know, but, when it's all done, you'll have a well socialized, well mannered, and fully fledged baby to bring home in about 4 months from now. :) Keep the pics coming!! :)

Georgia is simply wonderful!!! As you said, a true wealth of knowledge. I trust her judgement, as she knows FAR more than I do!!! The wait is awful, but I know it will be SO well worth it!! How is little Chickie?

That's cool they let you visit. I wish there was a breeder close enough to me where I could visit a new baby when I decide to get another one. I'm in Vacaville, CA if anyone knows places close by. The closest I've found so far is Fresno and Salinas. It's cool to see the bird in that stage growing their first feathers in.

Please understand that the concern shouldn't be how the babies are sexed, but that she raises fully fledged, well socialized, and happy babies. If any parront doesn't want their baby surgically sexed she is more than happy to DNA test, if that's what you prefer. The vet that performs the surgery isn't your run of the mill avian vet either, he's a highly specialized avian vet that has made this procedure his entire focus. Almost all he does is travel around the U.S. performing this surgery. We are also very lucky to have a very highly respected avian vet in this area and he also is ok with the procedure. I understand and appreciate the concern, I ran into some of the same concerns when I posted that Chickie would be surgically sexed, but please also understand that just because it's not as common doesn't make it bad. My chickie came through it just fine. Another benefit is that it gives you one way to ID your bird, if anything were to happen, because he tattoos a small mark under one wing for a boy and the other for a girl. I have been on this forum long enough to know that this is a great group that want nothing more than the best care for greys, but please understand that our breeder does too. I just didn't want another member to have to defend themselves like I did about surgical sexing. Hopefully this helps.

Georgia is simply wonderful!!! As you said, a true wealth of knowledge. I trust her judgement, as she knows FAR more than I do!!! The wait is awful, but I know it will be SO well worth it!! How is little Chickie?

Miss Chickie is just wonderful :). She is a joy in my life everyday. She's working on talking and has started to molt. She's the love of my life...besides my boyfriend, lol :)

He/She is just adorable! It's great that you can visit until "it" is weaned. You'll have a great time for many years to come! From reading others' posts, it sounds like you found a real winner in the breeder you chose! Enjoy!