NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does Gracie Need More Socializing?

JeffNOK

Gracie is a nine month old CAG female. Over the time we have spent together we have gotten very close. Our bond is strong and she trusts me. I worry she is becoming a one person bird. When she was younger, she would step up on anyone, but now she refuses to step up on anyone but me ( and occassionally my father who she has only met a few times but who it tall like me and has a similar voice). I have tried to expose her to different people over the months we have been together. She accepts treats from anyone, but if they ask her to step up, she walks away. This is a recent change. I had some students over to my home this afternoon, and in the past she would step up for her favorite treat--cheddar cheese. Today, she just would not do it. She wanted nothing to do with any of them. She took treats from their hands, but that was it. I also noticed that she seemed more comfortable with the males than the females. When women asked her to step up she walked away immediately. With the men she seemed to consider it--sticking her neck out and even raising a foot, but when it came down to it she decided against it. I am single and live alone and it's pretty much just Gracie and me most of the time, but I do have guest over weekly. What can I do to make her more at ease with others? I will never force her to step up on anyone--it will always be a completely voluntary thing--but I want her to enjoy the big world of people besides me. Is this typical?

Edited by JeffNOK

I think your doing pretty well if she at least considered the step up request from someone else. It doesn't sound like she was frightened or alarmed she just didn't want to. If you think about it you wouldn't ask a toddler to sit on the lap of a stranger.

You have that pack-o-bird and could get it out and slowly start introducing her to outside. First just hang by the open window together, then try an open doorway, then a balcony or patio, then a walk near an object she can see from the window etc. Just a little at a time moving onto another step once she's comfortable. You can explain what she's seeing and just spend time together. Eventually she may get comfortable enough to explore parks, go for drives or to a farmers market where she can see her favorite foods.

I've actually taken her to parks etc in a travel cage that is more open to the world. I haven't used the pak-o-bird since Christmas, but with the trust we have built since then I think she would go into it. It's just her acceptance of other people I want to work on.

Take her to school. If she is in an unfamiliar situation she is more likely to try new things. I do think you should widen her circle to include more people. It is ultimately in her benefit. I know you will do what is best for Gracie and I know you care.

Just the fact that you were aware makes me feel like you are on the right track. I know I have to make a conscious effort to keep socializing Sam with other people and things. For us, it's trips to the bird store that have helped.

Keep up the great work!

I think you are doing a good job.

As others have advised, keep using more opportunities to expose her to places and people. Many greys do exhibit a gender preference and will want to interact at a closer level with the preferred gender. Gracie is a little older now and is no longer the infant parrot and has started learning she does not need to step-up for everyone that offers a treat. Just by the description of her lifting a foot for a moment and thinking about it, then accepting the treat from both sexes shows she is accepting of different people, not fluffy and becoming defensive, but just saying, Hey I decide if I want to step up for whomever I wish and if they offer a treat I'll take it. This is perfectly normal in my opinion. :)