NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Extended care for a year... foster?? boarding? Help!

My husband is retired military with very specialized skills. Unfortunately, this means that we have to go where the jobs are and when a job ends, we're on the search for another. This hasn't proven to be an issue thus far as birds can go most anywhere and most rental houses aren't opposed to parrots.

Well, we're looking at a 1 year contract on an island and, although I'm going to try, I don't think there is any amount of persuasion that will convince them to let me bring Maggie. We've had her for two years now and I can't imagine our home without her! Has anyone heard of a foster type situation? A fellow bird lover who would love and cherish our Maggie, expenses provided for, until we could get back to the states? 2 years is such a short amount of time in her life and I would hate to have to say goodbye to her forever. She has become an essential part of our household, and although it would be difficult to leave her for a year, I would be much worse to leave her forever.

I know this can be stressful for her as well but we have left for a few weeks at a time and I believe that as long as she's in a situation with someone who is patient and loving, she'll pull through it just as we will.

Sorry for the long post. Does anyone have any advice? These forums have always been the place I've turned to when I needed help. Thanks everyone!

Is there a parrot rescue anywhere near you? They can be a great place to find people who love birds and want to see them well cared for. I know the rescue near me will housesit in my home, or board at their rescue. (I've looked into it because I may go to Holland in the spring for a month). Or try the local animal rescue. They sometimes have contacts for 'bird' people if they're not set up to care for fids. Make sure if you do find a foster situation that you put the terms of the foster care into a written contract.

I could also suggest a Parrot Club as the members already have skills and people who can vouch for them. I also strongly suggest a contract as folks tend to become so attached getting your bird back might be difficult. Having a written document will make the ownership clear for cort should that be required later.

I'll start looking for some reputable rescue organizations as well. Thanks! I'm going to talk to the boarding facility here that took care of Maggie when we first moved here. They have ties with some of the parrot rescues and such around town. I think I'll ask around at the avian vet too.

The bird must be thought about in this situation. Actually, your bird won't remember you after a year. The bird will resettle within a new surrounding, with new people, new family life. After a certain amount of time, the bird will easily fall in that new family lifestyle especially at that young age.

People always worry that their bird will be happy in a new home if they have to be adopted. A standard rule for the bird going to a new home is that the previous owner have no contact with the bird after it's gone. If you're gone for a year, transistion will be easy for the bird.

Hooking up with the bird after a year is cruel to the bird is he/she is pulled out of a new environment.

Think hard and long before doing this. Your bird's happiness and stability is most important. Sorry about this reply but you need to know the risks and believe me, I've seen it before. I'll say it even though others won't--You may wanna think about rehoming the bird.

Edited by Dave007

I beg to differ Dave, I volunteer at a Parrot Sanctuary and even the Conures get excited and recognize their former people even after 2 or 3 years with out a visit. Fly down to chatter and interact then go back to life as normal at the Sanctuary after the visit. I do agree that they will form bonds with the new family and then it is up to you or your bird what the outcome is. Greys as other Parrots are capable of making their own choices.

Edited by Greywings

I beg to differ Dave, I volunteer at a Parrot Sanctuary and even the Conures get excited and recognize their former people even after 2 or 3 years with out a visit. Fly down to chatter and interact then go back to life as normal at the Sanctuary after the visit. I do agree that they will form bonds with the new family and then it is up to you or your bird what the outcome is. Greys as other Parrots are capable of making their own choices.

I prefer to think of a bird sanctuary totally different than a personalized family home. Bird sanctuaries weren't brought in this thread. The closest that was mentioned rescue centers which are basically for birds who are injured, unwanted, many unadoptable.

What a horrible dilemma. My heart goes out to you. What island are you supposed to go to? Is there a law in place that prohibits bringing in birds? I was considering a teaching opportunity in American Samoa and I read that they will not allow any animals aside from dogs and cats in from the outside, so I quickly decided against going.

This might seem like an odd suggestion, but have you considered staying in San Diego and letting your husband go on his own for a year? You could possibly visit him every 3 or four months for a week or two. I spent a year in Romania and found that through skype I was able to maintain relationships quite well. You never know--your husband might learn to appreciate you more with a bit of distance--"Absence makes the heart grow fonder.." and all that. As far as what Dave007 said, I'm still new to greys, but my dog sure remembered me after a year away. He almost jumped out of his skin at the airport when I got back he was so overjoyed to see me. With greys being so intelligent, I'm surprised they would forget more easily than a dog. Again--I'm a newbie so I don't know at all.

Well, Maggie's well-being and happiness is definitely my major concern. That being said, a year is a drop in the pool or our feathered friend's (hopefully) long life. I think we also tend to underestimate the resiliency of our birds, much like our children. I would not be opposed to a sanctuary type situation, I'm open to all suggestions at this point. I'm really just trying to get an idea of the options available to us. There are many, many greys, even here on our board, who have come from horrible situations and turn out to be lovely birds. A young grey being moved between two loving situations in a year's time hardly strikes me as an abusive traumatic situation. But again, I'm still just mulling over ideas. The last thing we would want is to harm Mags in any way. The way she snuggles my husband, I'm pretty sure she'd remember us, even after a year apart!

Never been through this with a "care for Grey or other bird" for a year absence. But do know, Dayo recognizes and calls people by their names a year from the last time he had seen them. Just a recent example of this, is my son's pit bull Roxie had not been here for a year, but he brought Roxie over two weeks ago and the minute Dayo saw Roxie, he started whistling and yelling " Come on Roxie, Come here". This shocked me since she had grown from the puppy she was then, but knowing their intelligence and mental capacity, it should not have.

This is a lot to absorb. The thing is, you will be able to handle whatever comes your way. If you find someone and they care for Maggie and she is doing well with them, you will come back and see whether she is willing to accept you back. You will leave knowing she is in good hands regardless if you say it is a rehome or foster home. If your heart is prepared to accept what is best for Maggie you will know that when you see it. I do agree somewhat with what each person has observed and every grey, every family and every situation is unique. At this age, Maggie will mature and change somewhat regardless of whether you stay in the same home with her and never leave. I have never transitioned a baby bird to a juvenile to an adult. Dave and others commenting are all respected and have a broad range of knowlege and all their points are valid observations on many years of combined experience. My perspective is that Maggie will evolve and change and you will know the right thing to do and do what is best for her. I can tell you are conflicted and that you have a compassionate heart and love Maggie. Find the best solution you can and be prepared to make new decisions based on what is right at that time.

Katana, you must be reading my mind because you took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't have possibly said it better myself. I came here because I trust your input, and I definitely value everything you all have had to say. Thank you so much! Dave, I wasn't trying to be rude or argumentative or anything of that nature. I appreciate your input.

And Katana, thank you so much for everything you've said and your offers for help.