NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

is it true?

staceyj

Is it true that congos can reject ther original favored human for another family member when they get around 1yr old iv been reading african greys parrots a complete pet owners manual, its says parrots may not veiw their owners as mates, the "instinctive urge" to leave the family group may be strong enough to trigger some domestically- raised greys to reject the favored humans that nurtured them as chicks. they would then select another member of the household tgat represents the new flock. Xx:confuse:confused::confused:

NO.

In the wild greys stay with their parents until 2 years old, then quit being reliant upon them and start looking for a mate in the flock. They do not just "Switch" their favored human when they turn 2 or 5 (about the time they sexually mature). Mu wife has always been the favored one and remains as such after 5 years.

You know, I have three parrots and I live alone. Naturally, my parrots are bonded to me because they have no choice. However, they do choose other people who come into my home who they will fly to and sit on their shoulders. I do not allow others to touch my parrots, my parrots choose the other people they want to associate with. I do not want a strange to be able to come into my home and take my fids. I like the fact that no one can handle my flighted parrots unless they want to be handled. My parrots have chosen certain friends/family that they go to. Louie loves the neighbor girl's barrettes. I purchase cute hair barrettes for Jessica just so Louie has his own to destroy. Ana Grey loves my oldest daughter who always sits at the kitchen table eating pistachios which she has stolen from the fids' stash. These are just examples of the attachments our parrots have with certain people in our lives and then by association in theirs. I like to watch my parrots choose people to go to or take treats from because to me animals have a certain instinct about who the good guys are.

While they "may" switch their favorite human (it did NOT happen to me) it doesn't mean you can't have a fulfilling and loving relationship with your bird. My husband certainly loves and is loved by our grey. They have a wonderful relationship! And when he comes home after being gone a few days, I might as well not exist since Brutus just wants Larry. It is ALL good.

There was an anecdotal study done with a small sample that indicated that male CAGs did switch bonds 63% of the time while female CAGs switched bonds 16% of the time. This was not observed with TAGs/ The sample was small and would not stand up to scientific scruitiny, but it did indicate that CAG males in particular do often switch bonds. The article below discussed this phenomenon. I'm single and live alone with my CAG, so my fid has no choice really, but we can't control who they bond with. It's a mystery.

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/greys/species.htm

Edited by JeffNOK