NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

WORRY ABOUT WEIGHT

Bronxboomer

My first reaction would be to wonder how closely calibrated your mother's kitchen scale is with the vet's scale. I know 44 g is a big difference, but I wouldn't panic just yet. Does Izzie look like she's losing weight, or feel significantly lighter when you're carrying her? Can you tempt her with some higher calorie foods? Do her poops look normal? Just some things I would look at first.

I had Finnigan at the boarders over the holiday...her first time away from home. When I got back she had lost almost 50 grams (She is a little Timneh, so that was alot)! She did eat at the boarders, but I do tend to spoil her (I still soak her pellets and hand them to her at night and the morning!). It took only a day to get her back up to snuff. I guess, I'll have to stop treating her like such baby so when we go again, she will eat more. :(

Her poop is normal, she is playful, but I am not sure if she eats well. Since it is my first experience with Grey I am not sure how the rest of them eat. I give her fruits, veggies, pellets, but half of what I give her ends up on the floor or at the bottom of the cage. Is it normal? I give her plenty so she always have some leftovers at her bowl. Still, how do I know that she gets enough?

Yikes - my Bella, Female CAG as well, but only 6 months weighs 453 grams!!! Is there any place one can find normal weight ranges? I have an upcoming appointment with the Avian vet with her - her first check up visit - I'm wondering if hes' going to chew me out because she's too heavy???

Bella's weight at 453 grams is still within the normal range for greys especially Cags, some can weigh over 500 grams, as long as the keel bone is not hidden under too much flesh. Don't worry the vet is not going to chew you out, my Josey weighs around 415 grams, its just like anything else, some are more and some are less.

Yes, I was definitely apprehensive about putting him into the carrier, because I knew how much he hated it and how painful it could be for me. You're probably right, that he picked up on my dread. I hope you're also right that it will pass! I've never done so much kissing-up. My nose is turning red from all the contact with his tail-feathers!

Thank you Judy! LOL I feel like such a "new mom" - every hick up she makes I observe and fuss over LOL! When I read Broxboomer's CAG weighed 375 grams I was thinking Yikes!!!! Bella is a good deal more!

Well, before I brought her home, the Vet told me he'd like to see her predominantly on veggies and fruits, with an offering of pellets. She doesn't touch the pellets, but she does seem to like this Ecotricion that my Conure likes. She has a VERY healthy appetite, and will eat yams, green beans, kidney beans, and cheese all day long as well as forage for goodies on her playtop.

judygram wrote:

The yams, green beans and kidney beans are all good for her but go easy on the cheese, most seem to love cheese and mine is no exception but just a little now and then and not every day.

Oooh thanks for that advice - cheese is her all time favorite - that and dipping her beak into milk, and frozen yogurt! She's quie insistant on those things! Are milk products not good for them?

judygram wrote:

Greys are lactose intolerant, so no milk or milk products but a little cheese every now and then does no harm.

Aaaaah! I'm lactose intolerant as well - my milk is lactose free and the cheese is for the most part soy as well as the frozen yogurt. Got it! thanks!

KatB wrote:

Nychsa, thanks for the hint. I do buy soy yogurt for Oliver, but I hadn't thought about looking for soy cheese. Is it easy to find, or do I need to go to a specialty shop?

Hi there Kat! I buy our stuff at Whole Foods. They have a large selection of soy products and rice products. I buy my dog food there too - with all the issues going on with pet food in pet stores, I didn't want to take any chances with my greyhounds, so I buy them organic dog food from Whole Foods. I get Bellas organic vegies and fruits there too. So, it's a good source for all kinds of things!