NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DJ needs answers!

TWIX

Ohhh my goodness, that photo is precious. I know how hard you are looking to find a good packaged food for DJ over there. With all the other good food, this is a fair supplement but I do agree to take out the peanuts and if you can find more almonds in the shell, this seems like a good treat mix. Peanuts come from underground and I don't know the particulars for a mold or something that could cause a serious lung condition. What I don't know is if peanuts are in contact with the other food, does that transfer to the other food. Someone with more knowlege may be able to answer that for you, but that seems to be why most of us avoid the peanuts. He may be the king in your house, but I think that photo needs a halo, he looks like such an angel.

Ditto on the peanuts. Also, if your grey has problems cracking the almond in shells open, just snip the small end off exposing a little of the almond inside and DJ will get the idea and a good beak workout. I'll bet he goes to town on those peppers as well...ummmm ummm... good stuff!! :)

These replies as you already know are perfect....I hope you all don't mind but I would like to add a side-note. If any bag of food that contains un-shelled peanuts has any black powdery looking substance on the shells or dusting on anything else in the bag, please return it and do not feed it to your babies. This is mold. Last year at this time, at a couple of stores, we went through the bags with peanuts in them and with the store's help, came across three pallets with mold in the bags. No recall was done but they removed the bags from the shelves. Thanks.

Jayd

@Jayd: Actually YES! There is some black powder like on most of the shells in the pack! This means i should stop giving it to him and return it to the shop. Gog, i thought i found him something great.

@Jayd: Actually YES! There is some black powder like on most of the shells in the pack! This means i should stop giving it to him and return it to the shop. Gog, i thought i found him something great.

Thank you for posting...yes please! That is mold. Don't take a chance...if you have fed some to your babies, give them about a teaspoon or more of plain lowfat yogurt a day, one that is high in bacteria. Also, take some hot water (under 110 degrees Fahrenheit-8 ounces) 2 tablespoons of good organic honey or good honey if you cant get it and two tablespoons full of organic apple cider vinegar. All our birds really love it. Give it to them in a tablespoon first and let them lap it up. Once they get adapted to it, they will drink it right out of the cup. After they are done, you drink it because it is good for you. I love it! I'm preparing a post on vinegar and its benefits to bird and man alike. If your babies show any signs of Aspergillosis see a vet. Check out Dave 007 thread http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?115338-Aspergillosis

Keep in contact...going back to bed..lol...Thanks Jay

Ok then, i have returned it to the shop, i got really grumpy when i find out about the mold. This could have killed my DJ slowly. The search will continue then :(

Thank you Jayd for the valuable information and advice.

These replies as you already know are perfect....I hope you all don't mind but I would like to add a side-note. If any bag of food that contains un-shelled peanuts has any black powdery looking substance on the shells or dusting on anything else in the bag, please return it and do not feed it to your babies. This is mold. Last year at this time, at a couple of stores, we went through the bags with peanuts in them and with the store's help, came across three pallets with mold in the bags. No recall was done but they removed the bags from the shelves. Thanks.

Jayd

Oh my gosh, Jay I lost my first baby TAG 13 years ago because of a bag of bad seeds. I wish that I had been a part of a forum like this to know what to look for. You may have just saved many fids by posting this. I thought maybe I would buy the food they sell at the pet store in the open bins but I have heard stories about pet shops having bugs in their open food. Is one any better than the other packaged food or the food in the containers that you bag and purchase by the pound?

Yes, i was not comfortable with the black powdery thing on most of the nuts and fruits. Thanks to Jayd and the warning he gave me, i had stopped the ready mix before DJ ate a lot. The small amount i gave him was not all eaten and i am happy he didn't. Keep the questions rolling and let those answers save lives.

Here is a new brand that i just found in one of the pet stores:

scaled.php?server=809&filename=imag0558u.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=850&filename=imag0559s.jpg&res=landing

DJ is trying the new mix and he seems to like the seeds only!

scaled.php?server=151&filename=imag0565l.jpg&res=landing

Any idea if this company is good? Should i trust them?

Thanks

It seems that no one has tried the Beaphar Mix before. Never mind, thanks

Understand that there's some products that aren't sold in all countries. I've been in loads of pet stores and in pet feeds places and I've never seen the Beaphar brand. Some of the best brands of parrot mix aren't attractive to a bird so another brand has to be checked out. Just about all seed mixes have similiar ingredients

As far as mold on seed--all brands of seed can have mold on it. It's not common but it happens to even expensive brands. That doesn't mean that the company and their products aren't good. This same problem can happen to human food such as meat and cheese.

As far as insects in bird seed--that happens in most brands to many people once in a while. There's a simple solution but it doesn't mean that the company and their products aren't good. I buy 50lb bags of seed and the company is ok but once in a while I see some seed bugs. That doesn't make me wanna change the brand. PLUS, I know others haven't tried it because it's sold in large animal feed stores that supply food for horses, cows, sheep, chickens, wild birds plus all other birds that live outdoors. You need to experiment.

It seems different than all the other brands i have tried so far, and i think DJ likes it a lot. I found a company that delivers parrot food to my house here in Dubai. I was surprised to see all brands available on their website. I think i am getting their slowly and i will soon settle on some food brand.