NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rescue vs. Breeder (First time Owner)

Guest Jocelyn

Guest Jocelyn

Guys I need your imput. I have found a cage, and a reasonably priced excellent breeder. And then I have found a rescue. The rescue is 200 more but comes with a cage (the cage is small but might be okay as an overnight cage). I am told he is about a year old, but I am not sure I belive that. I know this about him, he came from an a bad situation (a bad man is all the info I am getting about his prior home) with his bonded pair, except there not bonded and they fight all the time. I think he has some behavioural issues. She says he will say hello but only if someone is not listening he is quote"sweet most of the time but would get better". The talking doesnt concern me, the sweet MOST of the time does a little.

Simply put I am new to this whole thing, but my heart goes out to this guy. At the same time common sense is telling me NO NO NO!!!

What is a newbie to do???

I would go to the rescue and try to see how any interaction goes with Him.

I would not get a breeder. A true breeder would probably never or very limited interact with you. They are not Pet or friendly birds at all. That is also why breeders are so cheap comparatively speaking.

You need to visit both parrots and see how they act and relate to you. If either has issues remember you have to be able to deal with them. In your heart, are you ready and able to do that? You can get advice here, but we are not there to meet the greys and see first hand what the issues/problems might be. I have a zon that I adopted more than a year ago. He is a comical and happy guy, but I have not been able to touch him but he can touch me all he wants. He has just started to come to me and sit on my arm/shoulder. He is a biter and it takes a lot of patience to deal with Louie. However, I watch him watching me and that guy really tries to understand what I want him to do. We have worked out a pretty good relationship and I can get him in and out of his cage pretty easily. But I have not given his a tickle and certainly not a cuddle. Only you know what you are ready for, what you can tolerate and how patient you can be. I will be honest, of my three parrots, my family like Louie, the zon, the untouchable, the best. His personality and happiest with life are contagious.

Edited by luvparrots

When you say "a reasonably priced excellent breeder" you mean a breeder to purchase a baby from right?

As far as the rescue goes I agree, go meet him, more then once if you can. Interacting with him should help you decide if you're up to the challenge or not.

Kim

Guest Jocelyn

I guess I should clairify, the breeder is very picky about who they adopt to. She drilled me for an hour before she agreed to meet me. The breeder has a health guaruntee, as well as a lifetime support line, ie I can call them and ask them anything at any point.

The bird I am looking at through the breeder is a two year old male and is 1100.

The rescue bird, is not through a rescue, its through a person. A person who bought two Greys from someone who was not caring for them properly and lied and said they were a bonded pair. This person seems to be trying but doesnt seem to have the time or space for both, so they are fighting in an area too small for them. This apparant 1 year old male is a 1300 with a cage (that is not big enough but could be used as an overnight cage).

I think you guys are right I need to meet him and see whats what. I own a horse and I know that it never ends well for horse or owner, when the owner rescues something outside of their skillset

Guest Jocelyn

Yes, it is supposed to be very tame, is good for nail filing car rides, wing clips ect. Both are clipped actually

That would be a hard decision. The "better" bird is cheaper, but the other one needs help. :o(

Only you can decide if you can "help" the rescue or not. Meet him and go with how you "feel".

It would be very rewarding to help a bird in need. :o)

Kim

Kim is right in that it is a tough decision for you to make but one that only you can make for you know yourself and whether you can handle a rescue or not. The breeder sounds like someone who really cares about her babies as not all of them will be so picky about who qualifies as usually only money is the requirement for purchase and continuing to be available for help anytime in the future is a huge plus. By all means go meet both and see what your gut tells you to do.

I have a rescue grey and a rescue macaw. The macaw was in the same boat as you described. Was with a female for over a year but they "hate" each other, not sure how they made it a year together in the same cage! My story with the grey is diff from most as i have been reading. He accepted his new home with very little stress. He has stopped talking but still imitates everything and is as sweet as can be. I have only had these two since january but wouldn't change anything ( cept Oliver being sick, macaw ). Should you go with the rescue, go into it with few expectations from him. Most rescues come with baggage and things go slow but steady but the rewards with each step are wonderful! For me, rescue over baby any day. Each person has their own feelings and only you know what is right for you and your family! Congrats to you and which ever one chooses you! :-)

• Haha 1

Guest Jocelyn
I agree, i think you should see both birds and then only you can decide. One bird will love you more than the other.

I assume the one who has been properly raised would love me more, time will tell though. I look forward to meeting them though

I assume the one who has been properly raised would love me more, time will tell though. I look forward to meeting them though

I wouldn't assume that! I believe rescues understand what has been done for them and although you may not see it right off, they love you even more than one that hasn't been treated badly because they have lived through both experiences!

So not truel My Louie, the zon, the untouchable, loves me to pieces. He watches me intently and follows me around the house and although I can't touch him, he is the most cooperative of my three parrots. (the other two'greys I have had since they were weaned). Slowly Louie is now landing on my shoulder, on my chest or climbs on my arm, but at his pace. I know some day he will be the most loveable of my parrots. In fact my kids love Louie the best although no one can touch him without a bite. Go see both parrots. They will let you know if you are right for one or the other of them.

Guest Jocelyn
Once you go rescue you never go back. It's not so much the bird but the person who is buying the bird. Research yourself first....Jay

What an excellent piece of advice...

We are buying the cage this weekend, the deal was to good to pass up, but it will be awhile before we get the Grey. The person with the rescue is very patient and understands our situation (we are house hunting and will not take anything in untill we are settled in a house). She does not seem pressuring and understands we will not take just any Grey because that could be bad for all parties involved. I meet him sometime this week!