NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm Really not that Tasty!!!!

Luvparrots

Louie has been with me for 1 year 7 months and we have come a long way. This is a zon who now has no fear of his parront. But Louie thinks I am a tasty moral. However much I try to assure him I am not!!!! (this is a video, click on it).

th_004-46.jpg

I do not wish to spoil the progress I have made. And although I can't touch Louie, he has no problem touching me.... all he wants! Any constructive suggestions would be welcome.

Hi Janet,you are very patient!! :) I have had times in the past when Nilah has tried that same routine. I have 3 things that worked for me. Lightly blowing on her face and beak makes her stop. Louie seems to stop and listen when you talk non stop like Nilah does, so I sometimes talk in a very high pitched nonstop voice saying pretty much nothing, just high pitched words and sounds. But in the worst case, I send her off flying by flicking my arm and saying no, so she knows this behavior will make me send her away. These things work for e, also, I will take her and put her in front of an open window as she loves the outside. It changes her mood and she forgets about biting me, cause as you know, an amazon wants their own way...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the rolls and flicking off and that does not work other than for Louie to fly off which is not my goal. It has taken a long time for Louie to be comfortable on my arm and I would like to go forward not back. I will try the light blowing, Penny, and see of that helps. And yes the talking for distraction helps for a little but I want him to not bite at all as this seems to always be his goal when he is on my shoulder/chest/or arm. I do have loads of patience as Louie is a great zon and I would love to have him comfortable enough to harness and take outside for walks like I can with the greys. He still will not step up although he sees my greys do it all the time. Seems he is my challenge for the next decade or so!!! LOL!!!