NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Future Grey Owner and Newbie to the forum

• 3 months later...

Hello and welcome Jenni! I have four indoor cats and Timber, who is a TAG. As others have said, I never leave them alone when Timber is out of his cage. They tend to just look at each other and then move on. However, the cats are nosy and will occasionally poke their heads above the bottom of the cage or the tabletop play stand when he is on it (on a stand) because he's making noise and they want to see what is going on. When this happens, Timber sometimes charges at them and they retreat; other times they just stare at each other and the cat walks off. My cats are totally indoor animals and aren't hunters either. I'm sure that makes a lot of difference. I really hadn't thought about what Judygram said, but it's a good point. While I am away and Timber is in the cage, the cats are free to roam. After two and a half months, I haven't had any bites on the cats' feet, so I'm assuming they don't interact much when I'm gone or manage to evade Timber's beak. The woman I got him from had a cat, so he's used to them. Also, the cage he is in now sits about two feet off the ground, not at floor level. The cats aren't able to jump on top of it, which might be a real problem. My home setup would make it difficult to keep them separate when he is caged, so that is what is working for me. Sorry for rambling on! I'm typing while I think ;)

Hi Timbersmom- thanks for the welcome! I'm trying to plan what I'm going to do with my cat while I'm at work. I already know that when I do get my Grey I will be taking a bit of time off of work to get it settled and establish a routine. It's so hard having an empty cage and having to wait. Around here there is one bird shop that I would buy from. I bought a cockatiel from them years and years ago and he was the best. All of the breeders I can find only sell to the bird shop. I just don't feel comfortable getting my first Grey off craigslist not knowing it's history or anything.

I was concerned that the cat would be a problem when I was at work. I found a bed net that would hang from a hoop and attach to the ceiling and drape around a bed to keep bugs out. I was going to put that up if the cat seemed to interested. Thankfully the cat isn't interest. The only time I have to shoo the cat away is when she walks to close to the play table with her tail up.

Yes, my cats just don't seem that interested in Timber. He is the one most likely to start trouble. When he is out, he will hang from the bottom of the cage and try to get the cats to come over. No problem at all when he is in the cage. They do their thing and he does his.