NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new member as of today: Q: Well known breeder: Grey 3.5 mo. old. Birds tilt heads

Breeder: She has told me that two babies out of 3 tilt their heads when they are tired. She had a vet look at them. He said that it might be a weak muscle. Should I stay away from purchasing one? Has anyone ever heard of this type of problem?

I feel that I must add the facts that I am not a new bird owner. I have a goffen cociatoo, a yellow sided green check conure, a cockatiel, and a budgie. I am also an advid reader on birds. I will check out the birds tomorrow and make a decision with my head, hopefully, plus a little of my heart thrown into the mix. IN closing, I may be a new member to this very large group of bird lovers, but in no way am I a new bird owner. (Man, I surely wish that we still had bird shows in New Orleans!) ch

Hello Chaydel and welcome to our family, so glad you could join us.

I don't know anything about this tilting of their heads but it would seem a good question for an avian vet to answer, they might outgrow it but I would want to know lots more about this before I committ to getting one of these.

I feel that I must add the facts that I am not a new bird owner. I have a goffen cociatoo, a yellow sided green check conure, a cockatiel, and a budgie. I am also an advid reader on birds. I will check out the birds tomorrow and make a decision with my head, hopefully, plus a little of my heart thrown into the mix. IN closing, I may be a new member to this very large group of bird lovers, but in no way am I a new bird owner. (Man, I surely wish that we still had bird shows in New Orleans!) ch

CHaydel, Welcome, I hope these baby's are OK! On this Greyt forum we all have one thing in common, both the newbies and the oldbies, "we are all still learning", Welcome....Jayd, Maggie, Spock and the flock

Edited by Jayd

I want to thank everyone for their caring support. Yes, I did visit with the two birds and the breeder yesterday; however, I did not buy either of them. There were two many unanswerable questions, and a few somewhat vague answers. I think that the breeder was being very genuine, but I am a one person family and would have no time to take off to run a special needs bird to an a/vet, nor would I have the $'s since I am just a poor school teacher. lol.

I was exhausted at the end of my decision. I took everything out of me. They were just so very, very gentle and loving. In short, it was a painful decision. They ultimately will stay with her and her other birds. So be it. ch

• 4 weeks later...

I heard through another breeder about a 3 year old hand feed grey that spent the last 2.5 years in its owners' pet shop near where my parents used to live. Last Sunday I took a ride and, yes, made a commitment to come back on Monday and purchase it. So say, it's a male, and, yes, it is 3 years old, handfed, and hand trained. Tuxedo and I are making large gains every day. He has a very large cage. The other birds show much interest. The female g. cockatoo likes to scratch its head. It's all a work in progress. A teacher friend now calls me a bird freak. I take it as a compliment.