NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Maybe, just maybe....

DawnMM

I am in the process of talking with someone who needs to rehome her 7 yr old grey. She's got a new baby and the baby is allergic. We are in the talking process right now. I hope that I can meet them soon. Wish us luck!

What other questions do I need to ask? I'm sure I've forgotten something in the excitement.

Thanks!

Edited by DawnMM

This is exciting. Ask about foods, the grey likes/dislikes. What the sleeping, feeding, etc. schedules have been. What pellets are now being fed. If a cover is used to cover the cage at night. And if you can call with questions after you have had a chance to get to know this sweet grey. Can't wait to hear how this goes!!

luvparrots gave you a great list... I would also ask, has the grey been to a vet, which vet, has he ever been ill, has he been tested for illnesses... what's his temperament, how much out of cage time does he get during the day, has he ever plucked, is he clipped/flighted... is he comfortable being handled, oh also, has he been with other pets, cats/dogs/other birds... does he have a male/female preference...

Awesome! Great questions! She is supposed to call this evening or tomorrow. I'm very excited. Even my hubby is on board! We were both thinking it would be a while, but I couldn't pass this up. She is including both the cages. And the best part? I think this is meant to be....

I had a Schnauzer, who sadly died a few years ago. Their names are the same! And my schnauzer was silver! I mean, what's the probability? hehe

I just got off the phone with her. We are meeting on Sunday! I can not wait! I'm so excited. I probably won't be able to sleep all weekend. I mean, I've already been having Grey dreams! LOL

I really like his owner. I mean we were on the phone for over an hour..maybe two. I could just tell how much she loves him. The only reason she is rehoming is her daughter is allergic. She told me that she's had many people interested but none of them felt right to her until me. I feel very honored to be entrusted with him.

She is including his two cages, toys, food, and dishes. So he will have familiar things with him. I sure hope that it will help him adjust quicker. Now I'm starting to get nervous. I'll have to have a family meeting with the kids about doors and fans and dogs and everything!

He is not clipped. So now my mind is buzzing about how to Grey proof our house. I have 2 days to do it. All advice is welcome!

He's never been sick. He's used to visiting other people's houses. He's actually at her sister's house right now. She is bringing him back home tomorrow or Saturday. He is actually about 12 years old. She's had him 7 and got him when he was about 5. She says he loves to eat. Though he prefers people food to pellets and he won't eat them.

Oh geez we have big picture windows...I need to put something on them. And a UV light. Sun doesn't really shine into our house except my bedroom and bathroom. The cage is huge! Already have a place for it. What else?? Help! My mind is in overload!

I'm so excited! Yay!

Here are some pics of him. They are from his ad, but I will add more pics when we get him home!

-2.jpg

She did say he is plucking a little, but she thinks it's because he is not home right now and in his main cage. He is in a smaller cage that he doesn't like so much. So hopefully when we get him home and get him into his own cage he will be fine.

-4.jpg

-3.jpg

-1.jpg

Congrats Dawn so now I hope it all goes smoothly and he is home with you soon.

She did say he is plucking a little, but she thinks it's because he is not home right now and in his main cage. He is in a smaller cage that he doesn't like so much. So hopefully when we get him home and get him into his own cage he will be fine.

Just so you know the plucking may or may not stop when you bring him home and if he hasn't been to see a vet be sure to schedule a visit so he can be checked out and maybe see if there is any medical reason for it but sometimes this is just a nasty habit they get into but he is still the same inside even if his feathers look a little rough, he is still lovable. Let us know what you find out and when you bring him home.

Thanks Judygram. I know it could happen when we get him home too. I'm trying to be optimistic! LOL I will make him an appointment soon for a general check up. I am not sure if I should let him get to know me first or what really. Like I said, I'm starting to get nervous now. I guess we'll have to see how things go.

I have homework and I just can't get my brain to concentrate on it! Due date is tomorrow and Monday! Argh.

have you thought about trying to get the vet appointment for the day you bring him home? we did that with kallie, her vet visit was on the way from her old home to ours, so all the trauma and drama was over and done with all at the same time. also, take pictures of his big cage so you know how all his stuff is arranged so you can duplicate it when you get the cage to your house.

have you thought about trying to get the vet appointment for the day you bring him home? we did that with kallie, her vet visit was on the way from her old home to ours, so all the trauma and drama was over and done with all at the same time. also, take pictures of his big cage so you know how all his stuff is arranged so you can duplicate it when you get the cage to your house.

I had thought of that, but since we are traveling 3 hours just to pick him up, it just won't be feasible. And we are picking him up on Sunday so that would be a no go. I will try to make an appointment next week and get him in as soon as possible.