NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

So it begins....TLW (The Long Wait)

Jimmydreams

Congrats :) There is nothing like that what-seems-like-an-eternity wait! I remember the day finally arriving when I would go pick out my girl (whole clutch was female) - so exciting! Whether you get to pick your bird, or he/she picks you - there is a lifetime to spend bonding and learning each other. In my case, Amali picked me ... there was no way she would even let me consider her clutchmates. And she's been glued to me ever since. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few new pictures and one big question!! Here are the latest pics sent by my breeder:

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

My question: One of the birds appears to have a red head, but no red on it's tail?!?!?! I don't have an answer back from the breeder if that happens to be a different species that happens to be the same size of the other babies, but has anyone ever seen a red-headed CAG? I've read about the 'red factor' but don't really know what that is.....I thought it meant reddish feathers elsewhere on the body (sort of like highlights). I'm guessing it's another species completely.

Anyway.....TLW continues!!! :)

That looks more like a rose breasted cockatoo, I guess your breeder has other birds besides just greys, if so they will put babies together especially if it is only one. They are precious looking especially with those red nubs for tails.

That looks more like a rose breasted cockatoo, I guess your breeder has other birds besides just greys, if so they will put babies together especially if it is only one. They are precious looking especially with those red nubs for tails.

My breeder breeds a TON of different species (and this IS baby-season!!). That explains a lot...thanks!! :)

We went to visit our baby yesterday. We still don't know which one we'll choose, but here are the two that was were able to hold. (we were able to watch them being hand-fed as well. Interesting!!!) They're HUGE!! :P

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

Also, our breeder told us that while she DOES clip their wings, she waits until after they fly, so I'm ok with that.

TLW continues.....

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a real short video of Philly taken the other day. I swear he can see the infrared focusing beam (or whatever) on my camera!!! Once I turned it on, he was visibly cautious of it. But I love his little whiney voice!!! (I was holding him AND taking the video, so sorry for the bad framing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wp_Mfw2gf8&feature=youtu.be

A couple more weeks and he should be fully weaned. I could take him now, but my schedule doesn't allow for hand-feeding. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Don't even talk to me about a " rose Breasted cockatoo", I want one soooo bad, but I won't do it! I'm gonna be strong! Nancy

Nancy, from the sounds of it, two of us on here will be bringing Rosies home this weekend (myself and kave07) so you may get some cute baby picture overload soon. ;)

amali... your gonna KILL me! I was strong for a new baby, noone was adopting the baby. I already had bonded. The petstore knew, I was going to adopt if they couldn't find a buyer. It came down to 24 hours. I told the owner, I was going to take her. He found an owner. I was horrified!( I had already bonded!) He was kind, gave me the stats for the new owner. Baby went to a great home. Nancy

I was in your position about one year ago. The wait did seem long--although it was made easier by almost daily visits once I chose my baby. I have had my Grey about six months now and I wouldn't trade a day! Every step in the journey is really a joy. Let us know how things progress, and send pics as they become available. We all love seeing those baby snaps.