NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do you have what it takes

Ray P

Do you have what it takes to rescue a parrot in need ??

My wife and I have rescued many pets over the years, dogs, cats, cockatiels, lovebirds but never a larger parrot

We had Corky our CAG from a baby and we know how smart they are, and when asked to rehome a amazon with issues I did not know if we had what it takes, a mean bird that could out smart us.

As it turns out Cricket and I hit it off right out of the gate as she showed us a side we did not know existed, A side that every one said she did not have.

A rehome may come with issues, but they also come with a need to be loved and all you have to do is look to see where they are hiding it.

Some tines you have to spend a lot of extra time and understanding but the pay off is worth it when your rehome parrot comes aound and show you a side that is gentle and loving.

If you can`t give the time needed than don`t rehome. If you don`t have the time don`t get a baby or young parrot.

If you don`t have the time a parrot will take a lot out of you and you will take a lot out of the parrot and nobody wins and when that happens the parrot will pay the biggest price.

It`s like a foster child going from home to home and never being adopted

A parrot not knowing what it`s like to be loved is a crime.

Edited by Ray P

Well done Ray, again. You have such good advice for us. I would like to add that when you say that it takes time, it is not just being there for the transition. It is also the holding my breath and coming back over and over again to rejections of our overtures. Just when we think we are on good terms, Gilbert will have a setback and now we are on an even keel again. It has been a year and those tender loving moments have been few and far between, but we are definitely making progress.

• 2 years later...

Ray, I sought out your words once more as a reminder to never give up. We may bring home a feathered baby and then are shocked to discover a couple of years later that the relationship changed. The compliant and sweet baby suddenly becomes willful, noisy and not as fun, exotic or novel as he was in the beginning. Sometimes we take in a rehomed parrot that is taking a really long time to accept us and that wonderful rush we had when we saw his need gives way to months and months of being eyed suspiciously. Hey, I am being good to you, this is the good life, why aren't you grateful? The bottom line is are we going to hang in there and figure it out? There are going to be doubts and fears, there are going to be hard times. There is going to be moodiness and hormones but thankfully Miss Gilbert forgives me and gives me another chance when I have those times. Hahahaha.

• Haha 1

I never thought my husband and I would be a home for wayward birds, but we are. With 7 of them now, 6 who were rescues, we understand Ray's words. I have had people who have wanted purchase a few from us, and one who i let Cotay go home with after i had made the arrangements to bring her home myself and I am going to add that birds are not a good fit for everyone. Cotay is back in our home now and isn't going anywhere. She strikes at me, tosses the food i hand to her and to get her to step up without a towel over my arm is a blood bath waiting to happen, but knowing she is scared and not fully trusting of me yet makes the little steps big victories! We are also looking to move out to the country, after 25 years in the same house which has now been taken over by birds, it will be so much better for them to have the room to be birds. It isn't just an attitude change to rescue birds, it is a lifestyle change. Kuddo's to all who take this commitment on!!!

• Haha 1

My dream as well living with 6 big birds and 6 smaller birds plus the cats & dogs. Waiting for hubby to know where we may end up after his job search ends happily or the alternative. Moving to where there is enough space to build an outdoor facility with somewhat deaf neighbors sounds so ideal. Perhaps we need one of those multi family compounds with Parrot people who can take turns caring for the flock if some one in the group has to travel. One can dream anyway. Glad Gus & Lilly are finding their common ground.