NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How did you find your Grey?

Guest Jocelyn

The folks in my club gave me a bit of a guilty feeling since I got a baby grey instead of rehoming a bird. A lot of people on this forum have taken in older birds. Depending on the previous environment, it may be a bit of a challenge. All the stories that people on this forum have shared have shown that, with love and patience, even an abused bird can become a cherished member of the family.

Edited by Doug
  • Haha 1

Guest Jocelyn

I would be willing to take in a slightly older one but I definitely dont think I have the experience to deal with a bird that has any serious behavioural issues.

I would be willing to take in a slightly older one but I definitely dont think I have the experience to deal with a bird that has any serious behavioural issues.

Jocelyn, if you are willing to consider an older bird, definitely talk to the people at your local bird club. They are often contacted by caring owners that want help rehoming a loved bird...

Guest Jocelyn

Will do I am looking forward to meeting the parrot people in April :D I am going to sit in on their meeting which is walking distance from my house!

I feel the same. This will be my first Grey so I am not sure I would be very "qualified" to work with a bird that has behavior problems. Not that I am unwilling, just sorta unsure how to go about it.

I wasn't suggesting that either of you consider a bird with "issues". I was just saying that even those birds can become a loving companion. I'll leave that kind of rehabilitation for those with more experience than I have!

Guest Jocelyn

I believe it 110% I volunteer with a a dog rescue, it is amazing how animals can go from such a dark place and than become amazing companions, when the right person helps work them through it...

All our Grey came from elsewhere, Pookie at 21 yrs old came from a home where the family was facing some health challenges and had to reduce their flock, she is a sweet girl. Smartee Pants was found and owners not located seems younger than the rest. Whisper was a confiscation from a roadside zoo and ended up with me-her specialty is making the sounds of a soda or beer can pop top opening. Smokey Joe cam from his 2nd home at 2 yrs old due to frightening his person with what he said. They are all special to me Whisper cuddles, Smartee loves my youngest son best but tolerates everyone. Smokey joe loves my middle son & I am merely his servant. Pookie calls for me and loves to play tug of war. No matter how a grey ends up with you it will be a journey of discovery, learning fun and frustration at times. Wiahing you a successful search which ever way you choose to go.

While I missed out on Sophie's childhood, and got her at age two, she came from a great home! Of course, I had to deal with her terrible two's! Right on schedule! I don't miss anything, as she is amazing. Sure, I wish I had pictures of her when she was a baby, but it really doesn't matter. When I got her, she was MY baby, and we bonded quickly. She's still my baby girl, ten years later. She still " roots", wags her tail like crazy when she is on my shoulder. She remains my baby, and many times, I have to remind her of my expectations! Nancy

All our Grey came from elsewhere, Pookie at 21 yrs old came from a home where the family was facing some health challenges and had to reduce their flock, she is a sweet girl. Smartee Pants was found and owners not located seems younger than the rest. Whisper was a confiscation from a roadside zoo and ended up with me-her specialty is making the sounds of a soda or beer can pop top opening. Smokey Joe cam from his 2nd home at 2 yrs old due to frightening his person with what he said. They are all special to me Whisper cuddles, Smartee loves my youngest son best but tolerates everyone. Smokey joe loves my middle son & I am merely his servant. Pookie calls for me and loves to play tug of war. No matter how a grey ends up with you it will be a journey of discovery, learning fun and frustration at times. Wiahing you a successful search which ever way you choose to go.

WOW you have a house full dontcha?!!!!!!

i got my gray through a friend luckily i know a breeder so i got her at a pretty good price to hand reared. If a pet store is your only option then alot of research and maybe going in to meet your bird a few times before purchasing and getting to know him or her would be a good idea if the store would allow this, to see if he or she is rite for you.Although i do believe any bird wiv the rite amout of time love and care can become the perfect pet no matter where purchased from :)