NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Possibly Taking Marcus to Work...

MarcusCAG

Hi everyone,

On Saturday, my husband says he needs to go to work to "move his desk" and do some other things during non-business hours (at least, I get the impression there won't be many people there). It's an office-type environment and, as Marcus asked if he could accompany us to our religious services this past Sunday and we had to say no, my hubby thought it would be nice if we could both go down there and bring Marcus along, instead, so that he can see what "work" is like. We have a little carrier for him, and I've worked out how we'll deal with things if everything takes a bit longer than expected, but I was just wondering if there are some other things we should take into consideration before we decide to make this trip. Like, I don't know, something I might be missing! :P Like, for instance, if there are people there and the coffee maker is on (many models are made with teflon, right?), would it be all right to take him into the building if we are far away in another room? Or would the circulating air still be a bad thing for him?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Edited by MarcusCAG

I don't see any problem with him going other than HE may bit a bit freaked out at first. If he is used to going places with you, then he will probably settle down after a bit. I wouldn't be afraid of the coffee maker or the air, sounds like he won't be there too too long, so he should be ok. I have a coffee maker in my kitchen used every day, and I don't know if it's Teflon or to, but my birds seem to be ok with it. I know others here take their birds to work occasionally, maybe they will chime in soon.

.................. Like, for instance, if there are people there and the coffee maker is on (many models are made with teflon, right?), would it be all right to take him into the building if we are far away in another room? Or would the circulating air still be a bad thing for him?

Thanks in advance for any input...

I know that sensible parrot keepers avoid teflon/PTFE coated cookware. I certainly do, but the reality is that teflon is only dangerous if it is heated to breakdown which can happen with burnt pans and self-clean cookers gone wrong. In normal use it is very stable and not at all toxic. If it is over heated it can produce fluorocarbon gases which is very nasty stuff indeed! It needs to heat to over 250 Deg C (over 500F) to be dangerous . Birds are extremely sensitive to any toxic gas or vapour but it is very unlikely that a coffee machine would be a problem. It might be worth while to see if any other process or cleaning chemicals might be present.

Steve n Misty