NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Vet visit

Thebirdistheword

We took Roxie to the vet to get her nails clipped and I figured since we were there he could examine her. She was ok except the towel thing. The vet checked her poop and it was good he weighed her and told me that she was a big girl she weighs 400 grams. He told me to put some pellets in apple juice to get her to eat them. He is not happy about the shoulder thing so he gave us some tips to try and correct that. Oh yea and she pooped on my fiance and it went right into his shirt pocket lol. It was great. Good Vet to and only 20 minutes away Avian medical center. 45 a visit and he clipped her nails and said she was a great healthy bird.

Hi! Glad to hear Roxie is doing so well. When you say the shoulder thing, do you mean sitting on your shoulder? Was she big or did he feel like she was overweight? Her brother was huge, not overweight just very big and beautiful! I can't imagine how much he must weigh. He matured so fast as I told you before, I'm so glad that Roxie is doing so well for you! She is a beautiful girl!

45 dollars, is a steal! As far as " shoulder status", this is something I feel strongly about, but you need to decide from others as well as for yourself. Wrist status only, is important in my book. It is a pain in the butt, but important. It is part of your bird understanding your expectations. Mostly... NO BITE! I know I have repeated this often, it was one of the most amazing moments, when Sophie was sitting on my wrist, biting the " air", saying NO BITE! She finally got it! I was dancing for joy... called the kids... everyone thought I was crazy, including Sophie. It was an amazing moment. So much work to get her there. She immediately went to shoulder status, and has been living there ever since, with NEVER another bite. I understood the change at that moment. Noone else did. But I was right. She never bit me again. That was ten years ago. I havent been bit since by Sophie. Nancy

I took my cockatoo into the vet on Christmas eve. She started sneezing and just a bit of discharge. The regular avian vet was not in that day but one of the others felt very comfortable examining her. She even called the avian vet to let her know what was up and get her advice on what else to do. I was only charged $61 which included extended exam, walk in fee, sub -Q fluids, Baytril injectable and nail trim.

Took her back on Christmas day for recheck and another Baytril injection, $6.54.

Then once again for recheck with regular avian and ordered Baytril liquid.....$10.

I love that place!

thebirdistheword... It will be a long struggle. Decide on a diet you are interested in. Zupreems is good. I also top their bird mix with three peanuts, and a 1/4 slice of buttered toast. One tray with fruits and veggies. Never give up! Weighing is important at this point daily.

all my birds thru their fruits and veggies against the wall, for several months. Never gave up! Introduced new veggies and fruits everyday. It was always offered. Ten years later... they all rush to the fruit and veggie tray. Nancy