NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Banging top of cage

Gizmo_efc

Gizmo has got into a horrible habit of banging the top of his cage when he wants either some of the food you are eating or wants to get out.

I've thought about getting ties which prevent the cage from opening but would rather change Gizmo's behaviour rather than just prevent him from doing something.

I've tried covering him up when he does this but to be honest havent done this every time he has restarted the banging.

It's really starting to get tiresome and want to eradicate this behaviour before our first baby arrives in a few months.

Any ideas would be great.

Just to add Gizmo is 3 years old and his diet hasn't been changed. He's on Harrison's high potency.

If you are always doing something in response to the banging actions, he will continue to do them from the patterns I have seen. Isaac has picked up more than one bad habit whether it be a sound or an action. The best thing you can do is to either eliminate the capability of doing it, or ignore it when he does it. You'll notice that when he does this, he will look at you for a reaction. His life is a constant experiment with you...and he is having a good time with this one. Try not to feed into it. ;)

Just give him what he wants. He is an intelligent sentient being who is naturally social and wishes to be part of his family. I am sure he has tried other ways to attract your attention but he thinks you are ignoring him. I guess you are finding out that there is much more to adopting a Grey than a nice cage, toys and Harrison's.

Gizmo simply wants to join the flock.

Steve n Misty

When Misty wants to come out I have absolutely no doubt what he wants because he says "Can I come out" ! I have no idea how he learned this but he started saying this after he had been with me about six months at age two and a half. I would say "want to come out" to him but the "can I" part is something he added.

When ever he tries to tell me what he wants I always try to comply so he can understand that communicating with me will have a positive result. His requests are not always obvious so I have to work out his meaning. For example "stop it" means he wants to share my food. "Your allright " means "skritch the back of my neck". He now uses "Tickle tickle" as well. he doesn't let me do this except at his request. "Tickle" is one of the few things that I taught him directly. Greys are brilliant at learning from observation and interaction but positive reinforcement is very important. They don't learn as much when they spend most of their time caged except perhaps meaningless sound repetition.

An ignored parrot is an unhappy parrot but they are not like toys that can just be put away when you are bored with them. Misty is never boring. Sometimes annoying but he did not choose to live with me so I try to adapt to him wherever possible. I am fortunate because I don't have to worry about bringing a baby human into the mix!

Steve n Misty

My CAG Lilo gets on the bottom of the play top on his cage and bangs away. He also bangs windows sometimes when he gets a chance to sit there and watch the outside birds at the feeder. I have come to the conclusion that he either likes the noise or the sensation of banging his beak on certain surfaces. You have found that your bird wants something when he does this, but could it be that he does it because, like all birds, he wants to explore and above all make noise?

That's a good point Tracie. Misty loves to knock all kinds of things with his beak. Glass tumblers, coffee cups. If I leave unattended empty or part empty cups or glasses Misty will go straight to them! Wine bottles, the metal shower rose in the bathroom in fact anything hard and especially anything hard that makes a good noise! I don't know if it's the noise or the sensation that turns him on but soft unresponsive things just don't do it for him!

Steve n Misty

While we have two cages now, instead of three, for three birds, they have many doors they can bang open and close. They LOVE to do so! It has NOTHING to do with coming out, since we have " open cage" policy. They can walk or fly out anytime they want. They LOVE to bang the doors that dont have food or water. Just part of their own entertainment, they have created. Nancy

Sophie is an AWESOME dancer when it comes to rap! Thanks to the teenagers! Clean mouth only, as they know I will flipout if she is taught " pottymouth!" She's got serious rhythmn.She would be a great addition to the band. Her singing sucks, as she sings identical to me.BUT... she is totally on key, and her dancing is quite entertaining! Nancy

I echo the advice above concerning letting him out. Unless he can't be supervised, I don't see why he would need to stay in his cage. If I am home and awake, Gracie has the choice of being in or out of her cage. As for covering the cage to discourage behaviour, I would not recommend that. Covering a cage can make a parrot feel isolated from their flock, and I recently read an article that indicated that this increases unwanted behaviors such as feather plucking. A happy bird is one that is fully engaged with its family.

When I was a new parent, I did cover the cage. As I became an experienced "Grey owner", meaning I was owned... I stopped covering their cage. They didn't like it. BUT.... If parents are struggling with bedtime, partial cage coverage works. The MOST important thing is a set bedtime. Eight pm is reasonable. I know many disagree with " routine", but we follow routine like a bible! They now walk into the bird room when it is time for bed. If they walk out... I give them a " big fat kiss", remind them it is time for bed, assist them back. Nancy

My Twix is almost 5 months old, he will do every noisy thing you can imagine when he wants to go out. Especially when i come back home from work. I always let him out, but when it's sleeping time i will cover his cage and i won't hear him anymore. Like some members already said, he didn't chose to be with you, and we all have responsibility towards these lovely birds. Patience is always required. I have my other Parakeet for 4 years now and been through a lot with him, put the pleasure of having his company after a hard working day is worth all the hassle i may get from him sometimes. I love my birds :)