NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Only chatty when I'm around - normal?

thecoffeesnob

My four year old Coco has quite a few words in his vocab and has even picked up quite a few whistles from my family members. He is really chatty and vocal when I'm around, especially when I come home from work but I've been told by my family members that when I'm not around, he doesn't speak or whistle and just tends to make a series of loud, high pitched bird calls repeatedly, particularly in the mid afternoon. Is this normal for a Grey? I really would love for him to be a lot more chatty so my family can enjoy interacting with him as much as I do.

Also, I have been distracting him by talking to him or clicking my tongue when he makes the bird calls- we can hear them in every room of the house- and he stops making them immediately but starts shortly after I leave the room. It's getting to the point where I'm not sure how to cope with this other than literally sit with him or within his sight so any advice at all on how to curb the bird noises would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

It's totally normal for a grey to only talk when certain people around

It's totally normal for a grey not to talk when anyone is around.

It's totally normal for a grey to make other sounds besides talking

It's totally normal for a grey not to make any sounds at all.

It's totally normal for a grey for a grey to never speak human words throughout it's life.

It's totally normal for a grey to make high pitched sounds and low pitched sounds.

Distracting a bird from making it's own natural sounds is like stopping an infant from mumbling. Very bad thing to do.

So, there's no way to make a grey talk or not talk when you want.

The bird's personality and nature controls that.

He is really chatty and vocal when I'm around, especially when I come home from work but I've been told by my family members that when I'm not around, he doesn't speak or whistle and just tends to make a series of loud, high pitched bird calls repeatedly, particularly in the mid afternoon.

The calls they hear when you are not around are probably him calling out for you, his friend. Those are contact calls. You are actually encouraging the contact call system birds have by responding to the noise with particular sounds yourself. It comforts him and lets him know that you are still there. It might be a slightly painful growth period to get him to stop constantly calling out for you. This is assuming that by bird noises, you mean a contact call. But my guess is to not encourage it by responding in any way. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Edited by Elvenking

Have others in the household tried talking to him or calling back instead of you? When my parrots, I have three, call out or make a loud vocal noise continuously, I just call out them or sing to them. I believe they are just trying to see where I am and that I am still around. I do not run to them but stay where I am. They are all flighted and they can come to me. They normally just quiet down and go on with their whatever. With parrots, I believe you must be inventive and willing to experiment with different solutions until the right one pops up. Good luck.

Edited by luvparrots

thecoffeesnob... your bird has chosen you, as his human mate. It is time to get the rest of the family involved. The goal should be: get the rest of the family involved with your bird. Play some games together, as a family. Other family members should learn stepup and down. A grey will choose one family member if allowed. Sophie LOVES us all, but loves us for different reasons. She loves Sean, for his feet. He never wears shoes. She will snuggle his feet all the time. She loves Ryan, when he can't sleep. He will sleep in the family room, she will join him. She loves me, because I am her ROM, keep her safe, and make decisions for the family. Nancy

Coco has chosen you as his favorite person and so he only speaks for you plus he is calling for you when you are there so you shouldn't discourage contact calling for he only wants reassurance that you are still there even though he can't see you, answer him and tell him you are around, you should feel special that he only speaks for you.

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses. It is indeed heart warming to know that my affections for Coco are returned. He actually does call me by name every time I walk away from his cage, which really is endearing and has happened one too many times for me not to realize he actually has learned my name- it's amazing how intelligent greys are and how quick they are to pick up things through observations. I've also been told by my family members that he does call out to me by name when I'm at work.

Thanks once again for all your reassurances! I look forward to plenty wonderful years ahead with my little chatty parrot!

thecoffeesnob... Be careful! Your birds feelings are real. What you do with those feelings... is totally up to you. You can be flattered... you can "train" your bird... you can " focus" on his feelings, take advantage, to help rest of family, be accepted by the bird. Please don't make the biggest mistake of accepting your birds affection, therefore, encouraging your bird NOT to accept the rest of the family. Birds set up their parents for this " downfall". all the time. Of course, be " honored", your bird loves you. Expectation, to accept the rest of the family, continues. Dont loose that focus. You need to let your bird know how proud you are. How happy they have chosen you! How much you love them.BUT... here's my family.... Nancy