NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My amazon keeps pooping in his favorite food bowl.....

sydney peaches

Do any of your amazons poop in their food bowls? Kiwi loves loves soak food. So I make him a tiny bit in the morning. He begs for it actually. After he's done, he'll sit on his bowl and poop in it through out the day! ahhhh!!

Why? Is he guarding his precious bowl? lol Or is he not too concerned his poops are in there and contaminating his bowl? I don't know. It's weird. He takes forever to eat so I'm usually off to work before I can remove the bowl when he's done. He's not really pooping in his cage....just in the bowl! It's weird! He'll also NEVER poop on me. I'll perch him and then he'll go. ( I do like that ;))

Just curious if any other zons do this.

thanks for any feedback!

How funny! I think they like to pick a spot. I've had Kiwi for 4 weeks. My grey, peachy, liked him and kept wanting to play with him when we'd visit the breeder. My grey only like human females so I thought for sure.... 100%, kiwi was a girl. Well, so much for me being the bird whisperer.... Kiwi's DNA came back as a bouncing baby boy!! Needless to say, I was speechless. How the heck would she befriend a male amazon! Hahaha. I wasn't looking for an amazon at the time. Actually, another grey. Sydney Peaches would none of that. Hated every new grey she met! The ONLY bird she liked was kiwi (who by the way I named georgia rose before the big sex change! Lol) he was a little shy at first..... But oh my, now he's fighting to be loved now! Loves to go everywhere! Loves kids and never gets nervous. He even sounds like a little elf when he talks. It cracks me up.

"hiiiii baby", "step up step up!!" (in elf opera voice), "time to wake up!" "heeeelloooo" and his very catchy... "uhhh ohhhhh!"

Edited by sydney peaches

He even sounds like a little elf when he talks. It cracks me up.

"hiiiii baby", "step up step up!!" (in elf opera voice), "time to wake up!" "heeeelloooo" and his very catchy... "uhhh ohhhhh!"

I wonder if all amazons have the "little high voice"? My Louie has a high pitched voice also. He is 4 years old. That Peachy is a lover is no surprise. Although Louie does not like to be touched, he loves to touch me, preen my hair and nibble my ears. Truly love those zons!!!!

I love that squeaky baby elf voice! He sounds like a baby. Then my female grey sounds like an old man most of the time!! It's soo funny. I'm really thankful that this amazon forum is on here. There's no groups specific for amazon owners. Amazons get such a negative representation on the Internet. That bothers me. I believe there's mean and nice in any breed of bird. Peachy gets moody during her breeding seasons too. I guess I wanna know is it nature or nurture?!! Lol

Oh, I forgot to ask.... If kiwi eats seed/veggies by his poop in his bowl, is that dangerous? Do their feces have bacteria that could harm him?

Great advice. I added another bowl next to the poop bowl. Then, I was so thrilled to see him eat out of it. Then.... After several hrs I went to check on him and the little reascal moved bits of food back into his poop bowl! How crazy is that? It did reduce contamination though so that is progress in my book. I know male amazons are nest protectors. I'm wondering if it's instinct that he protects or sits on the bowl. Moves food into it to keep things cozy?! His behaviors are so interesting. Thank u all for the suggestions. It seems to help. :)