NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage Types

wolff000

I am looking at buying an Timneh Grey. The only hold back right now is the cage. I plan on building my own. Be it all metal or plexiglass. I didn't know birds could be kept in plexiglass cages till I saw a few while doing research.

Of course the sellers of these cages praise them to no end for helping keep the birds mess contained and being better able to regulate the birds temperature to ensure health. I wanted the opinion of somone who wasn't trying to make a buck. The points the maufacturer brought up seem very logical but I have never owned a large bird so I'm unsure. The biggest I have had is a Budgie when I was a kid.

It would definately make it much easier and cheaper to make the cage out of plexi glass. It would also allow me to double the size which I'm sure any bird would love. My budgie,Pequito, spent most of his time climbing around the sides of his cage and the big birds I've been around tend to do the same. Of course with plexglass that's not a possibilty. I'm also unsure about the health risks keeping them sealed in a plexiglass box. I would drill plenty of air holes in the top and bottom edges. It would also have several large silent run fans to ensure no build up of fumes from the poo. Although I don't know if that's an issue it would at least help with airflow. I've also thought of building in an air purifier into the top fans to reduce any smoke that may enter. My wife smokes and I know that smoke is bad for them.

So what are your thoughts on metal versus plexiglasss. I plan on having lots of ventilation and stuff to climb on if plexi glass. Of course they would still have just as much to climb on with metal too but ventilation wouldn't be an issue. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the length but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Jason

What can I tell you???

I would not put my Gery in a plexiglass cage.[/quote:7745760da1]

Any particular reason you wouldn't?

I'm trying to find some legitmate cons on using a plexi cage other than they appear to be a big box. I'm sure I can buld a fantastic cage out of plexi but if thier are health or safety issues for the bird it will be made out of metal like a standard cage.

Several things that comes to my mind (and I bet there are three others I didn't think of):

1. Even though there are holes in the plexiglass, there is no real free air movements on the cage.

2. Sounds will be partly blocked.

In my opinion, a parrot is already suffering by being in the cage.

The minimal thing we should do, is make it as close to nature as we can (and living behind a glass is not one of those things...)

Thanks for all the advice. I have decied to go with metal. Since this cage will be in a corner I do plan on putting plexi on the outside to protect the walls. Seems like that is the easiest way to keep her or him from flinging food and water on them. does anyone know if copper is a dangerous metal for birds? I planned on using some in the cage design for accents. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had a plexiglass cage, it was awesome! the top was wire so there was ventilation. the whole front slide off or just opened. he felt he was part of the room even if closed. he did love it. I'm trying to find another!