NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How has being owned by a parrot change you?

Shelly Yokum

How has being owned by a parrot change you?

I have read in several place that a bird has changed their lives. I know that they have mine.

I use to hate bird poop on my car, seems as if I would never have poo on their until the day I washed it.

I buy healthy foods now, and catch myself taking nibbles of fresh fruits and veggies while preparing their dishes.

When I fix lunch and dinner, I am always thinking a head, so that the fids can be out at the dinner table.

Austin as most knows has a learning disability and only said a couple of words until we got the parrots. Now he can almost have a conversation. He has learned so many words trying to get the birds to repeat him. He never showed an interest in learning until I started training and teaching the birds. He now sings to them the ABC song.

Who knows what will brighten the day of even the younger lives.

I have a new respect for the larger beaks.

I love my fids unconditionally just the same as they love me. They can make a bad day all better.

I can go on and on, but I want to hear from others.

They have changed my life in so many ways. My kids, and my fids have taught me what unconditional love is. My fids have taught me how much an animal can love a human, and vice versa. They have taught me how much one single look can communicate what would be an entire conversation. They have changed my life for the better, and it wouldn't be the same without them in it.

They have changed my life too in so many ways and like many of your reasons too. I used to hate to see bird poop on my vehicle but now its cat prints I hate more.

Now when I plan a vacation or a few days away the first thing I think about is what about the fids, where do they go, who takes care of them and so forth, if I am not going to be home early or have to stay away all day or all night the first thing I think about is them.

I know, I would like to take a trip to see my mom, and she is like I don't want all those birds here. No one to look after them, so I stay home. She says you could bring one maybe two, but not three. LOL well I couldn't do that, they are use to being together, 1 for all... all for 1.

Absolutely true to you both! When I go shopping, I feel like I need to rush home to my fiddos! So many things in my day are centered around them. I save juice bottle lids without even thinking about it (I use them for foot toys), and am always thinking "oh they would love this" or "I wonder how they would react to this" when I am out doing stuff, looking around online, ect. LOL! They are always on my mind :)

Oh goodness, where would I start? I have learned loss and learned to cry and everything is still okay. I have learned to sort the joy from the sadness and move forward and get another little soul in my life just for the sake of enjoying his company no matter how it turns out. I have learned to eat leftover veggies after they have been in the drawer too long to trust for the parrots. I have lost thirty pounds in the meantime because as I shop for groceries, I make sure the parrots have fresh healthy grains and then I eat the same ones. I have learned that courage doesn't mean lack of fear. I am still afraid of a bite, it hurts, but I still put my hand out and seldom get bitten. I have learned to laugh and talk and sing when I am home "alone". I have learned that parrots are intelligent and the best company I could consider. I love when family and friends visit, but I also like when they leave and it is quiet. I learned to wake with a smile to hear a little voice asking me for a cracker. I learned parrot poop washes off and food flung on the floor is not going to make my home roach infested, LOL. Still have to clean it up, but I have learned not to stand by the cage with a whisk broom. I have learned that wings are more than just a gift, and can be taken away whether I like it or not. I have learned the value of earning trust and being trustworthy to a little soul who has known his own traumas and to know how one home for one parrot for her whole lifetime makes a world of difference. Some day soon, I may even learn to be light hearted and play.

OK Shelly Yokum, DawL, Judygram and Katana600 I think every one has said it all. We all share the same feeling and each of you have put it in your own way.

Even at that I think we have only seen the tip of the Iceberg with how our fids have changed our life.

• 6 months later...

I've noticed that since having Tui, I've become more 'mother-like' and maternal, but towards her. It's as though Tui is never far from my consideration when I do things, and she is so much like a child hence why I feel extremely maternal towards her. I do talk about her a lot, and some people who aren't bird owners seem to look at me strangely and some people have even mocked me, but I don't care. The last few years have been difficult for me for a number of reasons and Tui has also been a constant light in my life - whenever I look at her, I'm reminded that she's there and helps me even though she might not actively and consciously do anything. Just her being alive and in my life helps. I know I must sound ridiculous, but she really is that bright light which I needed and she continues to shine...

She really came at a time when I needed her.

Where do I begin? My backyard has been completely wired in for an aviary. My backyard corner is a loft for pigeons. Every room has a perch...even the bathroom. I've turned over 98% of the refrigerator and pantry for their food. All my shirts have holes. I sing aloud. I don't swear inside my house. When I buy new furniture or decor it must be washable and wipeable. I pull over to pick up really good tree branches. When I buy new clothes I ask myself "Is this a scary pattern?" I don't wear earrings anymore. My co-workers save their newspapers and tissue boxes for me. I'm referred to fondly as "The Bird Lady." I find it hard to focus on what someone is saying if there's a really good bird nearby. I shop the baby aisles at Target because the Toucans love rattles and pacifiers. I have poop on my walls and a perch in my shower. I turn down a lot of social events to stay home with the animals. I sweep at least 4 times a day and have an iRobot to pick up the rest. When I went to the shelter to look for a dog I asked for a "bird friendly" animal. I'm looking for a job closer to home so I can spend more time with them. My first "vacation" in 3 years was attending Natural Encounters' workshop.

My wallet is - ahem - much lighter....and I love every minute of it!