NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Are we 50 / 50

Ray P

OK this is something that I have noticed as read all the threads in this room and in other rooms on this forum. It seams that we have more rescue parrots than we have parrots that we were their first caregiver.

Even as I look back into my bird history I have had a lot more rescue birds than birds that I was their first home.

When you look at our multi bird and multi bird specie homes on this forum the number of rescue birds will say a lot about who we are.

If you have a fid and you are not the first home you belong here. If today you do not have a rescue and you love your parrot than the chance is in the future you will be the 2ed, home to a parrot so you belong here. If you are thinking of getting a parrot and have thought of a rehome you belong here

With all those possible members we may need a bigger room.

So, I suppose I will be calling this my home.....for now. Although I don't exactly consider Shadow a rescue as she was well loved and well socialized in her previous home. Actually, as it turns out, she is perfectly well adjusted. Maybe I am the one who was rescued....from a life without a parrot! Had Shadow not found me, I would not likely be blessed to share my life with a Grey!

The definition of rescue is:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rescue

When I got my amazon he was first and only owned by a family in Oregon. He was the husband's parrot and when the husband became ill there was no room in the hearts of the wife and children for the amazon. Louie was well fed and beautifully feathered and very healthy. He just was not wanted anymore by the family. I did not rescue Louie, I re-homed him. Is his life better, I believe so because I really love him.

definition of rehome:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rehome

Oh, ABSOLUTELY. You have to look at the BIG picture here...where would Louie and Shadow be now had you not been there to take them in? Especially with Louie, as I don't know Shadow's full background...but you said the family no longer wanted him....he would have more than likely ended up in a sanctuary (which is not always a good thing) being caged all day, or given away to someone that would have grown tired of him, and treated him badly. I definitely think you both belong here.

Would've, could've. Louie is healthy, fully feathered and much loved. This room is for those who believe their bird's stories belong here. If you believe your parrot was a victim and needed rescuing then post in this Room. Louie's owners cared enough about him to re-home him when he no longer fit in their home. Perhaps the husband died, I don't know. He was never abused that I know about. Personal preferences to where you want to post is up to each individual.

I have to say, the more I think about it, the more I agree. I am certain that Shadow did not need rescuing, I was simply in the right place at the right time to provide her a new home. Simple as that. I think we can all learn from each others experiences regardless of which room we call home! I know I will continue to be a part of both, watching and learning from everyone.

I think that we ALL belong in every room in this forum. I never meant to build this room so that members felt they hand to chose whether to be here in this room or not. We are not segregating here, please don't :(

I feel that we ALL can follow the stories, offer advice, tips, make comments even if you don't have a rescue

I am heading out first thing in the morning to my much anticipated trip to the biggest bird store ever, so i wont be around here, but this weekend, I would LOVE to set up a poll (which I can do in this forum to make it easy for all) and see how the 50 50 turns out! Great idea Ray!

I think that we ALL belong in every room in this forum. I never meant to build this room so that members felt they hand to chose whether to be here in this room or not. We are not segregating here, please don't :(

I feel that we ALL can follow the stories, offer advice, tips, make comments even if you don't have a rescue

Amen to that Penny. I certainly intend to participate in this room as I truly believe it will benefit us all. Regardless if we are owners of our birds first, or if they are re-homed, or rescued.