NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Rescuers Creed

DawL

I shall be a believer of all that is good in man and of all that is deserving in animals.

I shall plead for their lives, campaign for their safety and uphold their right to a natural death.

I shall seek out the injured and the maimed, the unloved, and the abandoned and tend to them in their last days.

I shall not forget their place in the hierarchy of life, nor that we walk in each other's paths.

I shall bear witness to the wonder they bring into our lives and to the beauty they bestow upon our souls.

I shall renew their spirits when they are waning, bind their wounds when they bleed, cradle them when they whimper, and comfort them when they mourn.

I shall be near them in their hour of greatest need - a companion and friend when the time has come.

I shall watch over them and console them and ask that the angels gather them in their arms.

From the creatures of the earth I shall learn the fruits of compassion and undying love, and I shall be called the beloved of God.

In their company I shall indeed be blessed.

Edited by DawL
  • Haha 1

DawL... Got a big lump in my throat but a joy and blessing in my heart when I read that !!!! Thank you so very much from me and all God's critters I have ever watched over.

Yes, Ray....... This indeed is what this room is all about and it should be our byline of just why we are here together.

THANK YOU BOTH................

My husband just asked me why I was sobbing & I tried to read "The Rescuers Creed" to him out loud.... Needless to say, I had to stop a few times.

Friends... please read this 3 or 4 times, not once!!! Each time it means more, and I received a flood of visions of birds, dogs, cats, calves, reptiles... All who have deeply enriched my life.

Thank you to you all. I found these words to be very profound, and inspirational, and I knew you all would too. It touched my heart just as much as it did for all of you, but the words are so incredibly true. What I thought was so great about this Creed is, even before any of us had read it, we had already commited ourselves to these guidelines. We did so because we have such extreme compassion for our animal friends, and such big hearts. Thank you to everyone out there that has rescued an animal, no matter the kind.

Edited by DawL

Rescuing a bird or any animal, requires a human, that goes beyond a " belief in humanity". They are a person that can " relate", to the animal. When I was called to rescue Sunny, he was out of " forever homes". It was alot of pressure for me. I responded... " please don't do this to me!" I wasn't up for it. I can't close a cage! The response was, " you don't need to close the cage!" I took Sunny home, no idea what we were doing. He's been with us Forever. When I send him to get trimmed with kids... I tell them to make sure he comes home. Bird trimmer really likes him. His coloring and behavior, is desired! LOL! Nancy

• 4 weeks later...

That is wonderful! Thank you for sharing that! My grey Stewart is a rescue, caged for 5 years. He took to his freedom with grace and relief. One week ago we took in a Macaw, Oliver, who was a breeder with no interest in his abusive cage mate. Even all our 4 legged children are rescues. ( no less that 4 at a time for 25 years) It is a great feeling to know that peace, dignity and love is what they will remember and carry with them!

• 2 weeks later...

After a decade... the other day, I went to feed the birds, Sunny, my sunconure was missing! I looked thru his cage, looked below, Couldn't find him. I found him sitting in a chair. Usually, I have to wear a white terry cloth bathrobe, for him to stepup.I was tired as it was 530 am. went and made the birds breakfast. Came back, still in my PJ's. I asked him to stepup, without my usual " defense" wardrobe. He " tried!" Foot up, foot down. He couldn't decide. I told him it was okay. Fed the other birds. Came back three times, again without my terry cloth bathrobe. He finally decided to " stepup". HUGE moment for us!He really liked my PJ's. Made of silk. He was LOVING my PJ's, and wanted to rub his beak. I called work, told them I would be late. We spent an hour, of Sunny loving my PJ's! LOL Nancy