NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Isabelle the quaker

Wingy

Isabelle is a sweet baby blue quaker that I bought for my grown son this past summer. She is my grandbirdie. I love having her over when ever possible because she is such a sweet thing. She has been here since Saturday morning and my SO is finally starting to warm up to her.

This 3 day stretch has been wonderful because it gives me a hint of how I need to arrange my home to best accommodate a cage and how, when my fid comes home, to protect he/she and the cat from each other. For instance I was looking at a cage that had short legs but I now will look for one higher off the ground but wider. I will be making plexiglass panels for the floor to further cat proof the cage and help catch the crumbs (think of a bigger version of the seed catchers that are included in some cages). I must have a rolling stand because I spend more time in the kitchen than I realized.

I will be sad when Isabelle goes home this afternoon but her daddy is missing her and she is missing her daddy.

Here are a few of her baby pictures when she was still in a tank.

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

birdsunltdlinksys-camcomscreencapture2011-8-29-18-12-30.png

I swear they have the PRETTIEST baby beaks!When did you get her for your son? I got my Kiwi last summer too, so they may very well be right around the same age. I hand fed Kiwi, she was 8 weeks old when I got her, and still on 2 feeding a day. Now she is a healthy little handful LOL! I just absolutely LOVE Quakers.... such big birds in a little tiny body :)

378154_2882986042191_1486301442_33146558_398520272_n.jpg

I think Isabelle's hatch date is July 9th. We picked her up October 21. She was in no hurry to wean. She is now saying step up, love you, making kissie noises when you ask and has learned to speak angry blue jay.

Your Kiwi looks so sweet.

That is a sweet looking little blue quaker and if I was to ever get one it would have to be a blue one, not that the green ones are any less lovable but that color is so adorable, how long will it be before you get your bird Wingy?
Hopefully sometime between spring and fall. The route is 67 miles each way in the snow belt and I just don't know how often I can get to the shop over the winter. I want a good fit and will travel back and forth to play with any new babies until the right one and I match up.

Silly girl. I got her some mini ears of corn and popped one in the microwave. She doesn't like the feel of it on her foot so the is chasing it around the cage top trying to eat the cob without touching the popped bits.

Here is another bit of sillyess. The cat isn't interested in the bird since she got bit on Saturday but she is interested in protecting her food bowl in the kitchen. I go to use the bathroom, Isabelle calls out to me, I answer. Everything is good, right? Isabelle decides to come find me and flies about 8 ft before landing on the floor and running through the dining room toward the bathroom. The cat takes off running toward the dining room because thats where the kitchen is. The SO is right behind the cat who is behind the bird. The cat hauls furr into the kitchen toward her food bowl and slides into it like a bowling ball hitting pins and sends her crunchies flying. She's swimming trying to get her body on top of "her food" to protect it. I scoop up Isabelle and the SO warns me that I better take Isabelle with me the next time I have to use the bathroom.

It certainly isn't boring around here.

Now before someone gets freaked out about the cat and bird being together they aren't. Isabelle is locked in her cage when a human isn't there to supervise and the cats sleeping area is 20ft away The cat doesn't care that the bird flies or is on the floor (because to her Isabelle is EVIL for biting) all she cares about is someone/something is going toward her food. This cat is terrified of all birds including the ones outside but I don't trust her unsupervised.

lol!! I have to say this after the last post & it may sound a little nuts. But to me, Quakers have always seemed like a bird that Walt Disney should have created. And I'm still surprised they haven't got at least one in any of their movies by now.

Isabelle is a very pretty color. Charm was supposed to be that color, too. lol At least that's what I imagined when I decided one day I'd like to have a Quaker. Then I met my girl & it just didn't matter what color she was. She was the most adorable baby & totally impossible for me to resist.

Charm.jpg

lol!! I have to say this after the last post & it may sound a little nuts. But to me, Quakers have always seemed like a bird that Walt Disney should have created. And I'm still surprised they haven't got at least one in any of their movies by now.

Isabelle is a very pretty color. Charm was supposed to be that color, too. lol At least that's what I imagined when I decided one day I'd like to have a Quaker. Then I met my girl & it just didn't matter what color she was. She was the most adorable baby & totally impossible for me to resist.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21276[/ATTACH]

Aww Birdhouse, Charm is so pretty. Gotta love little Quakers. Such mischievous, sweet little things.