NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How quiet do Greys need to sleep at night?

CharlieB

Hi, I'm going to let my Grey sleep in the same room with 3 budgies, 2 cockatiels, and a fish tank. The filter canister that I'm using for the fish tank is a little noisy, but not much. It sounds a little noisier than a small fan or a heater. I'm wondering if it's ok for my new Grey to sleep at night? Thank you

Talon my grey, sleeps upstairs in my bedroom. Right next to her cage is an air cleaner, it goes 24/7. It seems to filter out other noises. When we lost the power, she was stirring all night..too quiet for her I guess. My other 2 birds sleep downstairs with an air cleaner in the same room, plus whatever nightime noises are going on by me teenages...they seem to do fine. But, I do cover the top half of all the cages so they won't get distracted and they will feel secure.

Hi, I'm going to let my Grey sleep in the same room with 3 budgies, 2 cockatiels, and a fish tank. The filter canister that I'm using for the fish tank is a little noisy, but not much. It sounds a little noisier than a small fan or a heater. I'm wondering if it's ok for my new Grey to sleep at night? Thank you

Considering in the wild where they come from, the night is anything but quite with all types of noises that would send me scammering up a tree and never going to sleep until I could see what was out there. Yet these resilient and robust creatures learn to tune out the background noise and only awaken when a noise they know means eminent approaching danger and alert to it. The same is true with all the creatures in our homes. They learn the background noises very rapidly.

I THINK IM WITH DAN... CODY WOULD GO TO SLEEP WHEN HE WAS TIRED.. AS LONG AS THERE WAS NO LOUND SUDDEN NOICE HE WOULD STAY SLEEP... ZEUS, MY NEW GREY IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME WAY.. HE ACTUALLY EVEN GOES TO SLEEP ON HIS CAR PERCH WITH THE RADIO ON WHEN WE GO FOR A LONG RIDE TO VISIT FAMILY. i THINK AS LONG AS THERE IS NO SUPER LOUD ORANYTHING THAT WILL JOLT THE CAGE OR ANYTHING HE SHOULD BE FINE... MAY WANT TO TRY COVERING PART OF THE CAGE IF NEED BE

All three of my birds, CAG, U2 and conure have sleep cages in another room. They are covered half way so they can see they are safe if they hear a noise they are not used to. I find the birds to better rested therefore better behaved. I see a big difference from when I used to keep them in the family room to the sleep room. Which is really just another room with smaller sleep cages. Birds need 10-12 hrs of sleep a day. During hormonal season up to 14 hrs is recomended.

Awesome, a big thank to all of you. I was about to buy a new filter, but now I'm going to use that money to buy stuffs for my new CAG :). Portland Or is too cold, I need to cover the cage at night anyway. Should I cover all the cage or half or 75%? The room temp is around 70 -74 degree.

I am lucky, my birds came to a consenses, of when they all wanted to go to bed. I am lucky to have a room dedicated to just them. ( use to be a formal living room that I didn't need.) Room is dark at nite. They put themselves to bed, many years later. I DO remember the constant walking out to the family room when they were little! LOL BACK to bed! Of course, whenever I have a party... Sophie KNOWS the party is for her! Out she comes! She won't go to bed until the party is over. She's on my shoulder, or anyone else she adopts! I am lucky to have very understanding friends. They all know how important my birds are too me, and all of them feel honored when Sophie wants to stepup to them. Nancy

Talon, they always sleep in, or on their cage.3/4 of the room doesn't get used. Two cages next to each other, with two jungle gyms in front of cages. They always are in or on top of cage. They all tend to sleep in one. Just checked on them ( bedcheck!) Sophie in cage, Kiki on top with Sunny sleeping under her butt. I'll have to send you a picture when they are all in one cage, sleeping on rope, with Sunny in the middle. ( sunny's ALWAYS in the middle) LOL. Three cages sitting in the garage.Still trying to get Sophie use to her new cage. I think its a little too big for her taste. Doesn't want anything to do with her old cage either. More interested in living with Sunny and Kiki. They welcomed her with open wings! Nancy

Wingy... check out cages with Birds Unlimited, but then I would check online. If its damaged on arrival, send it back! Remember, bigger is NOT always better. New grey, should have a cage to grow, and be a forever cage. Upgrading has consequenses! I will be glad to measure Kiki and Sunny's cage (new), that she has deemed her new cage. I struggle now with upgrading her gym. It has to be metal, ( she LOVES sliding down the sides). It has to be the same gym she came with. Struggling to find it. I just know Sophie. It has GOT to be the same, or don't bother buying a new one. Sean has repaired her old one several times. New bolts, new screws. I know Sophie. She will NEVER accept new gym. Has to be identical to old one. Nancy