NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does anyone wish they would have rescued....

daviddogma

...and never got a bird from a breeder?

I did a lot of research regarding the African Grey parrot, but a few things never really mattered until I brought Otis home with me. Now I keep thinking about Maya Angelou and her poem:

The free bird leaps

on the back of the win

and floats downstream

till the current ends

and dips his wings

in the orange sun rays

and dares to claim the sky.

But a bird that stalks

down his narrow cage

can seldom see through

his bars of rage

his wings are clipped and

his feet are tied

so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings

with fearful trill

of the things unknown

but longed for still

and is tune is heard

on the distant hillfor the caged bird

sings of freedom

Am I alone on this or is there anyone else out there that wishes they had of rescued and adopted instead of bringing home a little baby from a breeder? I can't help but feel like I am part of the problem. Oh well, I guess there is nothing I can do about now....

I have been fortunate,two of my greys are brothers i purchased from a breeder, i became good friends with her & she is involved in a rescue/ re homing group.Approx 8 weeks ago i was able to re home a 14 month old grey.It was a honour that the rescue group thought that i was the right person to give this bird a forever home & yes it is an amazing feeling to be able to do that even tho Coco can be trying at times, i wouldnt change her for the world.:)

I would say if you are in a position to rescue or re home & have the knowledge, then go for it, there is nothing quite like the feeling & satisfaction it brings.

David,

I researched Greys, Amazons and Macaws for 9 months before deciding to purchase one from a Breeder that was Hand-fed and well socialized.

The reason I came to this decision, is because I started looking at and reading about the Parrots available on lists at all the Parrot Rescues within 200 miles of me.

After reading the history and problems each of these unfortunate creatures had, and each species characteristics. I knew I did not have the experience and knowledge it would take to give them a happy and permanent home. I would have become another person taking their new Parrot home only to find the need to return it because I could not overcome or even lessen their issues with the limitations I had.

I have been rescuing Dobermans for 10 years now. When our first Doberman died of Cancer at 6 years old. My wife and I decided to obtain a new one after a few Months of mourning. In performing Internet searches for a Puppy, we also came across rescues and decided that was the way to go. We knew we had the experience, knowledge and most importantly Love for the Breed to start rescuing and rehabilitating them.

For the last ten years we have not even considered a new puppy due to the overwhelming need of Homes for these special Dogs.

You are asking critical questions regarding Parrot Care and Ownership. You are also searching your soul to depths most don't.

Once you have the experience of caring for your new Grey and nurturing him to adulthood, you will have the knowledge and experience to take on rescues successfully.

So don't feel bad, you are on the Path!! :-)

Thanks for the beautiful Poem!!!

Guest briansmum

i chose a baby as i had no experience with greys and thought it would be best to learn with the bird. now i know loads i would love to rescue one one day.

however it isn't necessairly the best thing for the bird to bring home an older grey already set in it's ways to a home that doesn't understand them

I purchased my dog from a pet store, and although he is a wonderful dog, it is something I would never do again. If I ever get another dog, it will be from a rescue. I take Spencer to the dog park all the time, and have met many wonderful dogs that came from shelters and rescues.

My TAG came from a rescue. The reason I adopted had more to do with timing than anything. I had researched greys and come to the conclusion that I wanted a TAG. I was waiting for one to become available, and the rescue got one in before the breeder had any available (the breeder never did have any more TAGs, so I really made the right choice). I happened to check my email really late one night, and the rescue had just sent out a list of available birds. I quickly emailed back (before anyone else could get a chance to ask for her :)) and said I wanted Nikko. We drove down and picked her up a week later. However, I didn't do anything that great by "rescuing" Nikko. She's a fantastic bird who didn't need rehabilitating. If I hadn't adopted her, someone else would have in short order. Nikko was 4 when I adopted her, which I thought was a really good age. I missed out on her baby stage, but I also got to skip the terrible twos B).