NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Where do you get your pellets, and what kind?

DawL

Hey everyone! I just found out that my local pet store is going out of business, so I won't be able to get my pellets there anymore. I would like to start ordering online in bulk because there are no other stores here that have Roudybush. I was hoping you guys could give me some good websites for ordering bulk food online, and was curious about what everyone here likes to use for their fids as far as pellets go.

Thank you!

Hey everyone! I just found out that my local pet store is going out of business, so I won't be able to get my pellets there anymore. I would like to start ordering online in bulk because there are no other stores here that have Roudybush. I was hoping you guys could give me some good websites for ordering bulk food online, and was curious about what everyone here likes to use for their fids as far as pellets go.

Thank you!

I usually order from here:

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/

She is pretty prompt and I usually get my order in less than 5 days. She also has a large selection of toys and toy parts.

I feed a variety of pellets including Roudybush and Zupreem. My Senegal likes a combination of Zupreem natural and TOPS. My mini-macaw just likes the Zupreem Natural. My grey will eat just about anything I put in his bowl. He has mostly Roudybush right now but also eats Zupreem natural and some kind of nutty flavor pellets.

We use Roudybush for the CAG and the store which sells it is an hour away.

The Tiel & the Quaker eat Zupreem & we get that at Petco.

I went to petco today to see what they had to offer as far as pellets go, and I did see the Zupreem, but only the fruit blends. I thought I had read online that these weren't "as good" as the organic, or natural pellets. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that statement?

I usually order from here:

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/

She is pretty prompt and I usually get my order in less than 5 days. She also has a large selection of toys and toy parts.

I feed a variety of pellets including Roudybush and Zupreem. My Senegal likes a combination of Zupreem natural and TOPS. My mini-macaw just likes the Zupreem Natural. My grey will eat just about anything I put in his bowl. He has mostly Roudybush right now but also eats Zupreem natural and some kind of nutty flavor pellets.

Thank you for this website! I love it!

I went to petco today to see what they had to offer as far as pellets go, and I did see the Zupreem, but only the fruit blends. I thought I had read online that these weren't "as good" as the organic, or natural pellets. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that statement?

I think that the fruit blend causes the following concerns:

1. What are they colored with? I think that it is natural coloring.

2. Some birds will pick out their favorite colors.

3. Their poo will be the color they ate. This can mask the actual color of their poo and will also stain anything it touches.

Our Quaker would eat all the red on one day, then green, etc. leaving the orange & purple for last.

She made an easy switch to Roudybush.

The Tiel switched over to Zupreem natural from only seed. Petco does sell it, but I have to look hard for it. I'm not sure what sizes they sell. The kind we buy for the Tiel are little round balls, too small for a parrot.

What pickachu said are the same concerns I have heard about the zupreem fruit colored brand. I'm not sure if this helps, but I think 1800petmeds does home delivery. I was looking into it at first, before chickie came home, because I didn't know where I would get roudybush from. Since then I found a store that reliably carries it.

I try hard to keep all the artificial stuff out of my fids' diets. I have an ekkie who seems to live up to most of the hype about adverse reactions to added colors, chemicals, etc.

So, I put up a lot of mash/chop in 2-3 month batches as the main diet. But I don't necessarily trust that I know everything I need to about diet. So I also feed some pellets.

Again, because of the all natural thing, I feed TOP Pellets from Totally Organics. There's no added anything. Just a balance diet from human grade organic ingredients. All my guys really seem to like them even w/o all the fancy colors, sugar, etc. And I'm pretty happy w/the results.

I get them from mysafebirdstore.com, too. Kathy has a variety of different things & really great service. She also runs special sales & free shipping promos. Very nice to take advantage of when getting bulk food!

I try hard to keep all the artificial stuff out of my fids' diets. I have an ekkie who seems to live up to most of the hype about adverse reactions to added colors, chemicals, etc.

So, I put up a lot of mash/chop in 2-3 month batches as the main diet. But I don't necessarily trust that I know everything I need to about diet. So I also feed some pellets.

Again, because of the all natural thing, I feed TOP Pellets from Totally Organics. There's no added anything. Just a balance diet from human grade organic ingredients. All my guys really seem to like them even w/o all the fancy colors, sugar, etc. And I'm pretty happy w/the results.

I get them from mysafebirdstore.com, too. Kathy has a variety of different things & really great service. She also runs special sales & free shipping promos. Very nice to take advantage of when getting bulk food!

Isn't that the truth. I was looking around online before you guys told me about that site, and I even looked on Amazon. There was a 25lb. bag of the food I was looking for for 59.99 or something along those lines, but the shipping was $30!! After I got on mysafebirdstore.com I was able to order the same size bag, and brand, and also a BUNCH of bird toy parts, and the shipping was FREE! So thank you everyone!

Did you get the code for 10% off for first time customers? I think she always has one. You could probably call or email. if you missed it. Kathy's super about working w/you!

And yes, my first trip to that site was just a really fun shopping trip, too. I had a good time & was really happy with everything.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?193773-First-bird-supply-internet-order

I sure did get the 10% off, but thanks for the heads up! I read the thread you posted, and that box looked AWESOME! I would have had just as much fun going through it as you did...and I am looking forward to that in 3-5 business days :cool:

THANKS for that link! I try and keep as 'natural' as i can myself, and that will extend to my CAG when he/she arrives. I just took a quick look at mysafebirds.com and love the philosophy there as well as everything they offer. Looks like I'll be making a lot of my own toys with their extensive selections of 'toy parts'. :) They even have some recipes!! My partner is a certified chef, so I'm sure somewhere along the way we'll be able to add one or two of our own recipes for everyone to try. :)

Edited by Jimmydreams

THANKS for that link! I try and keep as 'natural' as i can myself, and that will extend to my CAG when he/she arrives. I just took a quick look at mysafebirds.com and love the philosophy there as well as everything they offer. Looks like I'll be making a lot of my own toys with their extensive selections of 'toy parts'. :) They even have some recipes!! My partner is a certified chef, so I'm sure somewhere along the way we'll be able to add one or two of our own recipes for everyone to try. :)

That is awesome! Looking forward to those recipes Jim!

I use a few different ones... My Grey eats Harrisons, My green cheek eats zuprem and hagans :) I am still working on my senegal but at the moment the only pellet she will eat is harrissons threats....

I buy mine from scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk she has some great stuff...

Has anyone tried any of the new animal zone range?? I just got the cereal yesterday and its going down a treat :)

• 2 weeks later...

My birds are fed the specially made food from Bird of Paradise store in NJ. It is everything they need and they love it. All natural and freshly made. I am on autoship, so I get as much as I need shipped to me fresh every month.

My tag is spoiled and doesn't eat much of it, so she also get Kaytee parrot mix without the sunflower seeds as she doesn't like them...