NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Inheriting a Grey

Mistyparrot

I was reading a post just now from a member who had just adopted their brothers Grey.

It occurred to me that as Greys tend to speak in their humans voice one must feel a whole range of mixed feelings hearing their lost loved ones voice in that way.

As I am likely to KTB before Misty I would prefer a close relative to adopt him but how difficult could that be for his adopter ?

Hi Mistyparrot, I think you are talking about me and Buddy. I adopted my brother's 7 yr old parrot when my brother died in October. The first couple weeks of hearing my brother's voice come from Buddy, I have to say, were quite eerie. However, Buddy is so charming I think he could charm the socks off the coldest heart. My brother died of COPD and other complications, so Buddy not only talks like my brother, he also coughs, hacks, moans & sneezes like my brother. When Buddy goes into a coughing/hacking loop, I have to admit it is difficult. But I know if I continue to ignore it, he will stop. Buddy not only sounds like my brother, he also occasionally has the voice of the female nursing staff who attended my brother in his assisted living home. Buddy is such a charmer. He jokes, sings, whistles with me and keeps me laughing all day!!

All in all, when I think of how truly unique this experience is to have this precious little being in my care, that sounds exactly like my brother what a blessing it is!! God truly has a joyous sense of humor :) My brother did not leave any children behind, but did leave this precious Gift. What a shame it would have been for me to have missed this experience!!

• Haha 1

Hello PetitOne.

Yes it was your post that inspired me to write. I am fine at the moment but I also have COPD but it is relatively mild so I don't have any imminent plans to relinquish this mortal coil as they say but as there is an outside possibility that I am not immortal it makes sense to make provision.

Misty occasionally takes the mick by coughing like me Misty does have a perverse sense of humor sometimes ! The first time he did it I thought he was sick but he was fine ! I know he talks in my voice and I have recordings of lost loved ones that I find hard to listen to but I am glad to have so that is why I put the question up. I am so glad that Buddy gives you so much happiness. I am certain from my own experience that he would have been a good friend to your brother.Your brother would have had great comfort knowing that you would give Buddy a loving home.

Steve n Misty

• Haha 1