NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Teflon coated Cookware

lovemyGreys

Yes it is, stainless steel is the way to go and it is not that hard to clean up either. Besides that nonstick surface does scrape off sometimes and thats not good either. And those stainless pans will last you for the rest of your lives, I use a scotch brite pad on them and they come out shiny as new.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, stainless cookware (with various alloys sandwiched in between for even heat distribution) is the best. There is a little getting used to it, but in the end its not that much more difficult to clean once you get the hang of cooking properly with it. I swear, food comes out better on it and you really have no (known) health worries!!!

• 8 months later...

There was a post made somewhere, I don't remember where exactly, but the owners used a George Forman grill for the first time, and their seemingly perfectly healthy Grey died 20 Minutes later. :(

I had bought one, used it once 6 months ago, and got rid of it immediately after reading that tragic warning. It's not worth the risk. THEY ARE TEFLON COATED!! :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

The beginning of this thread mentioned hair dryers and portable heaters. I have just purchased a grey and haven't brought it home yet. I am concerned about these two things causing problems due to the fact that we heat our home with space heaters. Should I be concerned?

LGodfrey wrote:

The beginning of this thread mentioned hair dryers and portable heaters. I have just purchased a grey and haven't brought it home yet. I am concerned about these two things causing problems due to the fact that we heat our home with space heaters. Should I be concerned?

We use oil-filled electric portable (on wheels) space heaters to supplement our furnace during the cold season. They are painted without any teflon, so they are safe. Can you post a picture of your space heaters? That would give us something to go on.

If you know the manufacturer's name, you could contact them directly to ask if they coat the "fins" with teflon or something similar.

I will as soon as I get a chance. We have them stored for the summer but I will try to get pictures before winter arrives. I have one other question.....how in the world do bird lovers clean their houses? I am near terrified of cleaning once my bird comes home! :ohmy: Should I really be this concerned or do ya'll just close the birds room off or sit it outside or something?

• 2 weeks later...

I have teflon in my home but we don't use it regularly. I even keep the pans in a different place than my stainless steel. I have had stainless steel for a long time because I prefer the way they cook the food.

I must share about some fantastic cookware that is safe for birds and non-stick, enameled cast iron. I would only recommend the good stuff, le crueset or staub. It is better than teflon and you can use it in the oven, grill or on the stove. I absolutely love my dutch oven and I plan on getting the skillet to use on a regular basis.

This stuff is high priced but will last forever. I spent 220 on my dutch oven but I use it more than my other pans. You can get it in many different colors to match your decor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We only cook on stainless steel and I wouldn't trade my stainless for any other cookware. Our stovetop is smooth top ( glass) but we hardly cook indoors in the summer we always cook outside on the grill.

I have known about the toxity of non-stick cookware for over 20 yrs now and its just not a risk I will take.

This needs to be a constant reminder to new bird owners about the risk involved. I have had numerous friends in the bird world loose their beloved members of the family this way and it is devistating.

• 3 weeks later...

We've switched to stainless steel and cast iron. I did however see at Wal-Mart today what was called, "Eco Friendly Non-stick" it's shown as a PTFE Free non-stick, the chemical they're using for the non-stick is called "NP2TM" I didn't know if anyone had heard of this? Is it bird safe? it was awfully expensive too. I'm including a link to it on the walmart website below.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9875694

-Patrick

I too have changed my cook ware to stainless

Have question about crockpot Its not coated with any thing (teflon). So is it safe to use? Want to be sure

better safe then sorry.

Also if a person runs air purifier wouldn't that take all or most bad out of air?

I'm getting pogo labor day weekend and planning on running small air purifier in room with cage and big purifier for the rest of apartment.

Would that be ok?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...