NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My adopted greys are about to become parents

btdaycare

I have a clutch of five eggs, one due to hatch possibly tomorrow, the parents have pushed one egg aside, would that mean the egg is no good? They have slowly been moving it away from the clutch. Can any one clue me in on what's happening? Should I leave it or take it out?

I'm sorry I haven't raised big birds. Just tiels. who had few unhatched eggs. I originally left them until the chicks hatched. But as I learned more about the whole process, I'd candle the eggs & toss the unfertilized ones so they didn't get broken. Didn't seem to have any problems either way. But I don't actually know what's right or if the same applies to tiels & greys.

so far nothing this morning......both birds are very testy though! Its hard to put in fresh food when they want to attack! I have been spraying both with aloe vera juice for their morning baths, I am wondering if I should continue to do this with the mom or switch to plain water?

On a side note, its so funny when I walk in the room the male barks at me like a small dog and then growls when I take away the old food dish to replace with fresh food or water. Then calmly says hi after he lunges at me!

Yes, they are back in my bedroom, away from the daycare chaos,they do not like the new foster dog so he is banned from the room also! I keep a baby gate across the doorway as I don't want them to be totally blocked off from day to day noise. I only bother them when I clean the bottom of the cage and change their food and water dishes. They have also for the last week been dropping food in their water dishes, so I change it more often during the day.

Any suggestions on foods to feed them if I do have hatchlings, they are on fortified pellets, an egg/seed mix and fresh fruits and veggies.

the eggs are eggs.......bah, no babies yet! It is exciting though, Mr. Squacker is still trying to kill me when I change the food and water and Mrs. Pretty Girl is sitting tight on the eggs, only comes out when she hears the treat box being opened and she can't resist coming out so the male will feed her.(that's when I take a quick peek at the eggs through the sliding door). Mrs. Pretty races back inside when I do that so I do mean just a peek! Squacker has been talking up a storm though and talks quite a bit when I change the water in the afternoon at the daycare's nap time. I think he likes the quiet.

nope, just checked this morning.......December 18th would be 28 days from the last eggs arrival. Maybe I will see a chick on my birthday(17th). Not knowing what their diet was like and not knowing the total upheaval they had from living with an elderly lady to some how getting to the humane society and me adopting I believe within two weeks time I imagine their world was pretty shaken up. Just being out in the main area of the humane society and being on full display with tons of people staring at them could have effected them big time. Add to that my own crazy world of almost 24/7 daycare, my own dogs, cats, fish and foster animals! Oh well, it was exciting just to see the five eggs and getting to know and bond with these guys has been a great experience! I am still trying to learn all I can. I have fed all my birds better and used veggies I have never heard of! lol