NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Emergency

DawL

Hey everyone, I have a serious issue, and need some advice. I have a green Quaker Parrot named Kiwi. I hand fed her from 5 weeks old, and she is now 7 months old.

She is full of life, and an absolute clown...now here is my issue...

Today she figured out how to get her cage open... and I have 2 cats that are both about 6 months old. They were both rescues, I got them at 3 weeks old, and they were clinging to life at that point. I nursed them back to health, and they have been with me ever since. My husband came downstairs to get something from the den, which is where Kiwi's cage is, and found her cowering in the corner, with both the cats there. There were down feathers all over my husband's work clothes. He saved Kiwi, and instantly came to get me. I came down and checked her over completely...there are no injuries, no blood, no scratches or bites. While I was holding her, she was VERY clam, and that is not like her. She is usually a mile a minute, being loud, and silly. Now she is quiet, and in her cage. She has not moved from the perch at all, not even to the other side of the same perch...she is in the same exact spot. She is also trying to go to sleep there, even though she normally sleeps in her happy hut.

My question is, is this something I need to be concerned about? I figured maybe it just scared the living daylights out of her, and after the ordeal she is very tired, but she is not acting like herself at all. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated...I am VERY worried!!

She may be a little shocky, keep her warm & cover half of her cage to help her feel hidden and safe. You can offer her a 50/50 pedialyte & water mix if you like. If she is not back to herself later today then do get her to your Vet just in case. You will feel better knowing for certain there is no problem.

Thanks for the advice... I went and fed her dinner, and changed out her water, and she seems to be eating okay. I sat by the cage and talked to her while she ate, and she talked back a little. After I knew she was eating, and our little convo, I covered her cage. I am hoping that tomorrow she will be feeling better, if not, I will take her to our vet.

Hope shes feeling better. I guess she needs some time to recover from that shock. In any case try to keep the cats out of her sight for now so that she can recover. Im not sure if whe will be scared every time she sees them, so you have to watch out her reaction the first time they are around.

Keep us posted :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Kiwi is doing much better today. She is back to mumbling words, and screaming up a storm. She is now in her cage chewing a branch that I made a perch out of for her (sterilized of course). She did catch a glimpse of the cats today, and it didnt bother her in the least. I think she knows that as long as I am around, I wont let anything happen to her. The door will be shut unless I am in there to supervise. I did have a question though, for owners of both birds, and cats. Is this something I will have to be on absolute high alert for forever? I have seen other peoples cats care less about their birds. Is ir because mine are still young, and not yet fixed. I am taking him next month to get fixed since he will be 6 months old, so do you think this might help with the behavior? I am really worried about it. I love my birds, and my cats, and cant imagine being without either.

They can learn to leave the bird alone, but you have to teach them. Watch their body language. If they are even thinking of pouncing, let them know that it's not even ok the think that. I am a firm believer that you can NEVER trust a cat or dog alone with a bird. EVER. Sometimes it is the bird who starts the trouble.

My advice: having both at home with small birds who have rapid motions it can trigger that hunting response from your cats or dogs. My larger birds have out of cage time but only when supervised, with them I worry more about the dogs. The small bird I wheel into our rather large bedroom bathroom for flight time with no possible predators. Boiled down my advice is supervised visits only for safety.

I have a cat and three birds. I feel that the birds are *relatively* safe with the cat. The larger parrots are safer than the lovebird. The lovebird teases the cat mercilessly. He divebombs him, teases him, and taunts him. He hovers above him, swoops down within reach, and tries to make the cat chase him. You can't blame the cat for rising to the bait. So far the lovebird has been lucky, but I worry his luck will run out some day. The cat doesn't have as much interest in the bigger birds because they are calmer and less flighty, and they don't tease him. Still, I supervise them all closely when the birds are out of their houses. Better safe than sorry.

IMO that you can't rust that hunting instinct in cats or dogs never ever. When out together they should be supervised constantly and even if the bird is in her cage she/he should never be alone with the cat/dog unsupervised. Better safe than sorry. It could have been a fatal accident with your bird. Why risk it?

Thanks for the advice everyone...I will be keeping a close watch. They never showed any interest in her until recently, and it is my male cat more than my female. She is a munchkin anyhow, and will remain very small, so that may be why she kind of stays away. Him on the other hand, he is a very large for his age flame point siamese. He knows he is the "big, bad, kitty". I went out and bought a spray bottle, and I spray them when they even think of showing interest in Kiwi, or even her cage. So far it is working well, but I know it will be a long road before they lose interest altogether, if ever. I am also taking him to get fixed in 2 weeks, now that he is 6 months old, and am hoping this may calm down the behavior as well.

... but I know it will be a long road before they lose interest altogether, if ever. I am also taking him to get fixed in 2 weeks, now that he is 6 months old, and am hoping this may calm down the behavior as well.
But it is still no guarantee. They could seem uninterested for number of years and than BAM!

Yeah, I am aware of that. I am just hoping to get to the point where I do not constantly have to chasing them away with a spray bottle. I only leave the house one day a week to run errands, other than that I am at home. I have started putting the cats downstairs while I am gone. I am aware that there will always be a risk...they are cats, afterall. I am aware of the risks, I would just like to calm down the behavior a bit, and teach them that it is not acceptable regardless. Of course I would never leave my birds out with the cats unattended, and I know I should be careful no matter what, but I still want to teach my cats that I will not tolerate this behavior.

Best of luck dawl, and I'm really glad to hear that your fid is doing ok :). I'm fighting the same battle you are since we have 3 dogs and a cat. Chickie isn't scared of them at all, but they are super interested in her.

Best of luck to you too! I know you wont let anything happen to Chickie :)

I don't have cats... but LOVE them. Unfortunately we are all allergic. ( otherwise we would have cats!) It is important to keep cage closed when you are not home. Reinforcing locked cage, is important. Of course, keep introducing your bird to cats, under supervision, but NEVER trust them. Nancy

I agree. I went out and bought a lock at petsmart, now she wont be able to get out without me letting her out. I will end up getting one for all of my cages, once they are filled :) Thanks for the advice!

I agree with the majoritiy. I have three dogs and they are always put away when the birds are out. When they are caged the dogs are free to roam. I know with cats they can and will jump on the locked cage to get what they want. You cant unteach their instinct. Ive owned, seen and heard of dogs and cats killing birds and pocket pets either loose or in their cages. I had a dog along time ago that was part Jack Russell and part white shepard the sweetest dog in the world. Her instinct of being a terrior she went after every thing except other dogs. I also had two cats at the time. One day I came home and found the cat cage torn apart and both cats dead. I was and i'm still heartbroken over that. I felt I took all precautions by putting the cats in the cage. I should have put them in another room. I'll never get over that, it was my fault. It wont happen again. My sister's cat lunged from the curtain rod to get her bird. I think that you putting the cats down stairs while you are away is the best thing to do. Good for you.

Eileen

Thank You for your understanding the dangers that different species just might be prey to something else you own. It can be prevented and still be fair for all babies! I just dont want anything thats avoidable to happen to others. It's an aweful weight to carry.

Eileen