NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New here, and expecting a baby!

DawL

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here. My name is Amber, and I live in NC. I am semi new to CAG'S, but not to birds as a general term. I have worked in many pet stores in my life, and was a volunteer at a bird rescue a few eyars back. I used to live in Indianapolis, but relocated to NC 2 years ago. I have taken care of greys in the pet stores, and rescues. I was actually always in charge of the bird room in the stores I worked at. I got my first birds when I was 14. I got 2 male cockatiels, and I still have them to this day...they are now 15 years old. I also have a Quaker Parrot named Kiwi. She is my little green shadow. My cockatiels prefer to not be bothered often. When I got them I was all they knew...now I have kids, and everything else, but overall...they have adjusted well.

I wanted to join this forum becuase I am a firm believer that no matter how much you think you know, you can always learn something new. I am expecting my first grey sometime in the near-ish future. I am getting him from Lea and Bob at Five Oaks Aviary. They have been wonderful to work with. When I contacted them, they happened to have one baby left (I had been looking for the perfect place to get my baby for 6 months) so it just felt meant to be. My baby was hatched 10/27/11, so is still very young. We will eventually do DNA sexing, and I can't wait! I am just excited to know, I guess. Everything here at home has been prepared for our babies arrival, and now it is just a waiting game. Lea is very good about updating me on my baby, and I have attached the pics I got of him/her a week or so ago. These are all I have so far, the holidays keep people very busy. I will post more when I get them.

It is great to have found this forum, and I thank everyone who has made it possible!

CongoGreyBabyFOA11-06111311d.jpg

CONGOAFRICANGREYBABYFOA11-02110511D.jpg

CongoGreyBaby111311a.jpg

CONGOAFRICANGREYBABYFOA11-02110511F.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Amber and welcome to the grey forum, and we are glad you found us.

I have had cockatiels for about 40 years and Willie is over 21 years old and I know they are great birds.

This is a mix forum of birds of all kinds not just greys. I also have a blue fronted amazon along with our congo grey Corky.

Again Welcome.

Hi, DawL !!! What a perfectly adorable baby...

Welcome and looking forward to sharing..

Thank you! Also, that is such a beautiful cockatiel in your photo! I will be getting new pics this weekend, and when I do, I will post them. I would love to use this thread to go from now, all the way through when we bring our baby home and get "him" settled in. I am sure there are so many people out there that will read this that are thinking about bringing a baby grey home, and I think it would be great to show the process from start to finish. I am sure it has been done on this forum before, but I am excited to do it, and if it helps out one person, I am happy with that.

How about some name suggestions? We have a few picked out, let me know what you think. As far as girl names go, we only have one picked out... Kaleo. For a boy we have Grimm, Robo, and Ashes. I have a feeling it is a boy, but you never know! I had a feeling my last child was a boy, and I was very wrong...now I have 4 daughters LOL

Thank you! Also, that is such a beautiful cockatiel in your photo! I will be getting new pics this weekend, and when I do, I will post them. I would love to use this thread to go from now, all the way through when we bring our baby home and get "him" settled in. I am sure there are so many people out there that will read this that are thinking about bringing a baby grey home, and I think it would be great to show the process from start to finish. I am sure it has been done on this forum before, but I am excited to do it, and if it helps out one person, I am happy with that.

How about some name suggestions? We have a few picked out, let me know what you think. As far as girl names go, we only have one picked out... Kaleo. For a boy we have Grimm, Robo, and Ashes. I have a feeling it is a boy, but you never know! I had a feeling my last child was a boy, and I was very wrong...now I have 4 daughters LOL

That is a great idea! I did the photo journal with Egan. I visited once a week from the time he was pulled from the nest until he came home. I took pictures and posted them. I got comments from people who didn't have the opportunity for weekly visits that it was helpful for them to watch the progress so they could imagine the same for their own babies. And I've never seen anyone on here who asks for LESS pictures! The more, the better!

That is a great idea! I did the photo journal with Egan. I visited once a week from the time he was pulled from the nest until he came home. I took pictures and posted them. I got comments from people who didn't have the opportunity for weekly visits that it was helpful for them to watch the progress so they could imagine the same for their own babies. And I've never seen anyone on here who asks for LESS pictures! The more, the better!

Barbara,

I actually saw the photo journal you did for Egan, and I thought it was wonderful. I was also very sad to read about your loss of Neo. It was so great to follow the story, how Egan turned out to be a boy, and how you chose his name from the 2 parenting birds! It really just seemed like he was meant to find you, and you were meant to find him. I was so happy for you! Thank you for such a wonderful story!

Amber

Barbara,

I actually saw the photo journal you did for Egan, and I thought it was wonderful. I was also very sad to read about your loss of Neo. It was so great to follow the story, how Egan turned out to be a boy, and how you chose his name from the 2 parenting birds! It really just seemed like he was meant to find you, and you were meant to find him. I was so happy for you! Thank you for such a wonderful story!

Amber

I appreciate that! And I'm looking forward to your photo journal as well!

Hey everyone! I have an update on our little one.... IT'S A BOY!!!!!! :D:D:D I cant even begin to tell you how excited we are! We were hoping it was a boy, and I honestly had a very strong feeling he was. Lea from Five Oaks Aviary has bee fantastic through this entire process. She got the results back from Avian Biotech tonight.

It is going to be so hard waiting for him to get here! I am hoping to have him home by the end of January, but you never really know with these things. He is being abundance weaned, so HOPING its the end of January. He was hatched 10-27-11.

We are hanging between 2 names now. Robo, and Grimm. I honestly cant decide. I told Lea I will let her know as soon as we do, so that he can be called by name.

I have attached new pics of my little man, these were taken tonight. If you look hard enough you can see the beginning of a cute little red butt! ;)

CONGO AFRICAN GREY BABY FOA11-06  112911d.jpg

CONGO AFRICAN GREY BABY FOA11-06  112911h.jpg

CONGO AFRICAN GREY BABY FOA11-06  112911c.jpg

CONGO AFRICAN GREY BABY FOA11-06  112911a.jpg

CONGO AFRICAN GREY BABY FOA11-06  112911e.jpg

Thanks for the opinions guys! I will run it by my husband and see what he thinks. Those were the names we settled on, but since he works 60 hours a week, we havent been able to talk much more about it. I will let everyone know!

i love these new pics of Grimm, he is turning into quite the young man. The wait does seem like for ever, I waited 16 wks for Quinn. I like the idea of a photo life journey, you can always go back.

Keep sending those pics.

Eileen