NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New TAG

Amali

I've lurked here for awhile as I waited for my baby TAG to be ready to come home, and decided it was time to register and introduce myself. :D

My name is Rebecca, and our little four month old girl came home last week. Her name is Amali. I went to the breeder's house to pick which baby (of two) I was going to bring home. There was no picking ... at least not on my part ... Amali picked me. She jumped right on me and refused to let me put her down. I guess because she picked me, it has made the transition to our home much easier than I anticipated. She was beak grinding and napping in her carrier on the drive home and then was chowing down on all the food I gave her within 30 seconds of being in her new cage once we got to the house - all of which really surprised me.

I look forward to reading and learning more as Amali gets older. :)

She is so relaxed and happy in her crate. Your breeder has done a good job of exposing her to different things and she definitely has chosen you. This is a wonderful transition, so glad to hear you are doing so well with her. She is absolute beauty. Has anyone told you how much we love those baby pictures? Thanks for joining and bringing Amali to our forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The name Amali actually means "hope" in Swahili. Between where the species comes from and a strong desire to do a mission trip to Uganda, I thought an African name was appropriate. :D

I'm really thrilled with her - and am grateful to the breeder in many respects. There are a few things I wish had been done a bit differently, but what would help me isn't always necessarily workable for a breeder. Amali did not have her wings clipped until the day I brought her home - actually minutes before we loaded her into her crate. I'd have preferred she had time to adjust to it in a familiar surrounding, but the breeder doesn't do it because then it seems unfair to the clipped bird that his/her clutchmates can still fly. I can see the point ... I'm just very grateful that Amali hasn't seemed to have any ill effects of the clip taking place in conjunction with the move. There is also the problem that because she has been so used to being flighted, she doesn't know what it means to stay and play on a playstand. I've not been able to put her on her stand and walk away without her attempting to fly to me. Just one of those things we will have to work on over time. :) Amali had also never been bathed up to the point that I picked her up. I figured birds would be much like other animals in that, the younger you introduce stuff, the easier it is. So, Amali had her first bath on Sunday - which she was not real crazy about - but for her second bath this morning, she seemed much more accepting. So I don't think this one hurdle will take long to overcome.

I'm afraid I failed at getting more cute baby pics last night - that's what happens when you have a 'zoo' to care for (horses, donkey, dogs, kids ... ). But I do have some pictures of tons of homemade toys that I will try to post shortly in the other section. I have made every one of Amali's toys ... and done a ton of research into bird safe materials. Making toys with one of my daughters prior to Amali's arrival kept us busy rather than chomping at the bit too much!

:cool:Welcome to you and Amali. She is a beautiful girl. You will find this site very helpful. There are so many people willing to help, some one always is either going through the same thing or has experienced the same issue. I just wanted to say that grey's are not the best landers ( wrong landing gear Ha Ha). Their always at risk for a sternum break when not flighted. Good luck with your relationship with her.

How did you introduce baths to her? My breeder has said that my little one isn't yet too fond of them. I have been working on my own toys too. It's too funny because my boyfriend will come home hours later and find beads in the couch and all over the house and he know's I've been toy making. :) Please share pics of your toys cause I'm very interested in trying to make my own. The first few have been quite simple, but hopfully my little one won't mind.

I put pics of toys up in the homemade section. I don't think the babies care how simple they are - Amali seems to enjoy them all.

I put Amali in the tub and ran just a little water to introduce her. The first time, she did a lot of flapping around and I stayed close to reassure her. Then the second bath was much more relaxed for her. I would imagine that she will be actually enjoying them before long at this rate. At least I hope so!

• 2 weeks later...

She is so cute and she looks happy. Im glad the baths are going well. Quinn never liked baths he screams his head off, then gets mad at me. I spend the day trying to make it up to him. I think he just pretends to be mad, when he really likes me sucking up to him. lol

I've lurked here for awhile as I waited for my baby TAG to be ready to come home, and decided it was time to register and introduce myself. :D

My name is Rebecca, and our little four month old girl came home last week. Her name is Amali. I went to the breeder's house to pick which baby (of two) I was going to bring home. There was no picking ... at least not on my part ... Amali picked me. She jumped right on me and refused to let me put her down. I guess because she picked me, it has made the transition to our home much easier than I anticipated. She was beak grinding and napping in her carrier on the drive home and then was chowing down on all the food I gave her within 30 seconds of being in her new cage once we got to the house - all of which really surprised me.

I look forward to reading and learning more as Amali gets older. :)[/QUOW

What a cute story , congrats on your new baby :)