NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mash & Chop

pikachu

Okay, I must be stoopid, but I don't really know what the difference is. I hear them referenced all the time.

Is mash just warm, soft food & is chop chopped up fresh veggies?

If you make these, care to share what you put in them?

Thanks! Still learning here.

I may be wrong, but I thought they were the same thing. Just two different words used by people from different places.

As to what I put in mine, anything that will freeze well. So I'll never include celery stalks again! lol Although celery leaves are ok. It takes some work to put up a batch. So I make a couple of months worth & freeze it in individual 2-3 day portions. I usually use whatever the seasonal fruits & veggies are for cost & variety. And I try to make it well balanced enough to live off all by itself.

So my chop/mash would included cooked dried peas & beans, grains, some fruit, a decent portion of at least one green leafy veggie, colored veggies & random veggies. Whatever randomly tickles my fancy to make it interesting.

So it sounds like she's eating pretty well. Good for you both!

Fids do get bored w/foods though. For example sweet potatoes/yams are a big favorite around here. But at some point I'll notice that maybe they're getting picked around & eaten last. Since fids don't save the best for last, I know not to put them in the next batch or two.

I have hesitated making mash too because i can never figure out a good balance and every recipe I find is cryptic and leaves out all kinds of information. Wish I could find something that made sense and involved ingredients that I could get in the USA. I can't seem to get the concept of chop down.

Ok, let's see if this makes it any less scary

"...chop/mash would include cooked dried peas & beans, grains, some fruit, a decent portion of at least one green leafy veggie, colored veggies & random veggies"

You can start very simple. Soak & cook 13 Bean Soup according to package directions. Drain & cool then add the uncooked ingredients: quinoa, dandelion greens, broccoli & apple bits. You can of course switch out for any ingredient that you know your fid does or doesn't like. But Voila! You've made your first mash.

The soup has dehydrated carrot etc so it counts for peas, beans, colored veggies. Although you could go totally crazy & shred in a fresh carrot.

The quinoa isn't strictly grain. But it's a very nutritious complete protein that you don't need to cook.

Dandelion is supposed to be the perfect green leafy because it has so many good vitamins & minerals. Clean & chop any greens down to coleslaw size or smaller. Add about as much of it as the total volume of the other ingredients.

After that it's really just about combinations that interest your fid. It's a great way to introduce new food, too. Most of the time all the bits & flavors get so blended they won't even recognize something strange in the mix.

Anyone can make this, right? If you aren't planning a totally fresh fed diet, there really isn't anything intimidating, honest. And who knows, you might even think it's kind of fun once you get going.

I don't know about that much iodine. Seaweed's also pretty high in sodium & too much can cause problems. I know everything from Japan is supposed to be thoroughly checked for radiation contamination, but I don't know how comfy I'd be about other contaminates. You might use Kale if you're looking for big texture. But most of the greens add enough if you don't process them down to itty bits.

Ok, let's see if this makes it any less scary

"...chop/mash would include cooked dried peas & beans, grains, some fruit, a decent portion of at least one green leafy veggie, colored veggies & random veggies"

You can start very simple. Soak & cook 13 Bean Soup according to package directions. Drain & cool then add the uncooked ingredients: quinoa, dandelion greens, broccoli & apple bits. You can of course switch out for any ingredient that you know your fid does or doesn't like. But Voila! You've made your first mash.

The soup has dehydrated carrot etc so it counts for peas, beans, colored veggies. Although you could go totally crazy & shred in a fresh carrot.

The quinoa isn't strictly grain. But it's a very nutritious complete protein that you don't need to cook.

Dandelion is supposed to be the perfect green leafy because it has so many good vitamins & minerals. Clean & chop any greens down to coleslaw size or smaller. Add about as much of it as the total volume of the other ingredients.

After that it's really just about combinations that interest your fid. It's a great way to introduce new food, too. Most of the time all the bits & flavors get so blended they won't even recognize something strange in the mix.

Anyone can make this, right? If you aren't planning a totally fresh fed diet, there really isn't anything intimidating, honest. And who knows, you might even think it's kind of fun once you get going.

Thanks a lot birdhouse. I think I can try something like that. Hoping to find something my little guy will like that I can create in batches for him.

Hi there! I was personally introduced to Chop, and totally loved the concept. Chop and Mash are very similar, and I think whoever decides to do the research and cares that much for their parrot's diet, you can call it "fiddle faddle" if you want. I like the chop concept because you make it in such a large batch, bag it up, freeze and you are good for months. It saves time, and believe it or not M$ney. My birds still do try and eat me out of house and home, but making chop and "beanie mix" has cut down on pellet consumption and I know they are getting essential ingredients, and anti-oxidants that will help make sure they have a better quality of life.

Granted there are people that enjoy cooking for their parrots on a daily basis, and I say "awesome", again your birds are lucky to have you. I like the convenience and I will be honest, I don't like dishes. haha.

I included some recipes I personally tried. They worked, and my Timneh, Dexter would not eat anything besides pellets and dehydrated banana (thanks to his previous owners) and would not touch ANYTHING fresh. He truly prefers the beanie mix to the chop, but I take a teaspoon and a half of each, and mix them together. The quinoa sticks to everything, and he gets the sneaky "healthy" things I throw in. Cooper my Congo, well, he is like Mikey, and will eat anything.

My Chop Recipe

Teenie Weenie Beanie Recipe

These concepts are just that, concepts, and ideas. It is a matter of personal choice what you would like to feed your birds or the methods you choose, ... if your birds are lucky enough to have someone who cares, and doesn't stick them in a basement with a seed only diet... then you are just what the new generation of aviculture needs. Scientists have come leaps and bounds in the past twenty years, with avian diets and "when you know better, you do better". There is enough knowledge out there with blogs, and quality forums such as this one, to help people become the best bird owners they can be.

Great recipes! And, everything is just thrown together & frozen? Not cooked?

With the chop recipe, everything listed in thrown into a food processor, and "chopped" hehe. The quinoa is cooked, and I sometimes throw in cooked lentils.

The beanie recipe has cooked ingredients, and is a little more intricate. I say, work with what you have, seasonal, and what your birds like. That's the most important part, what your birds like, why waste hours of time preparing.... if they just use it as a wall decoration behind their cage?

This was my first time trying it out, and I added some more ingredients, but you get the idea.... :-) Try it in a small batch.

Edited by bran

Hi there! I was personally introduced to Chop, and totally loved the concept. Chop and Mash are very similar, and I think whoever decides to do the research and cares that much for their parrot's diet, you can call it "fiddle faddle" if you want. I like the chop concept because you make it in such a large batch, bag it up, freeze and you are good for months. It saves time, and believe it or not M$ney. My birds still do try and eat me out of house and home, but making chop and "beanie mix" has cut down on pellet consumption and I know they are getting essential ingredients, and anti-oxidants that will help make sure they have a better quality of life.

Granted there are people that enjoy cooking for their parrots on a daily basis, and I say "awesome", again your birds are lucky to have you. I like the convenience and I will be honest, I don't like dishes. haha.

I included some recipes I personally tried. They worked, and my Timneh, Dexter would not eat anything besides pellets and dehydrated banana (thanks to his previous owners) and would not touch ANYTHING fresh. He truly prefers the beanie mix to the chop, but I take a teaspoon and a half of each, and mix them together. The quinoa sticks to everything, and he gets the sneaky "healthy" things I throw in. Cooper my Congo, well, he is like Mikey, and will eat anything.

My Chop Recipe

Teenie Weenie Beanie Recipe

These concepts are just that, concepts, and ideas. It is a matter of personal choice what you would like to feed your birds or the methods you choose, ... if your birds are lucky enough to have someone who cares, and doesn't stick them in a basement with a seed only diet... then you are just what the new generation of aviculture needs. Scientists have come leaps and bounds in the past twenty years, with avian diets and "when you know better, you do better". There is enough knowledge out there with blogs, and quality forums such as this one, to help people become the best bird owners they can be.

The TWBR recipe looks nice. I am definitely going to have to try some of the wild rice...I have a feeling that Isaac might like it...even though I have never given it to him. Might mix it in with the 13 beans and try that first along with some random veggies. We'll see how my baby like it. Thanks for more suggestions. :)

Here is a link with a video I watched to make chop. I use most of the ingredients when I can find them. I live in a small town and some things are hard to find but that's what's so great about it, make it your own. After you make the chop, you can put it over beans, rice or maybe add eggs to change it up a bit. It took me a few hours to wash, chop, boil some grains, mix and bag. Sometimes I put it over mashed sweet potatoes.

This one recipe works for my parakeets, greys, amazons and cockatoo (as soon as she learns that veggies won't bite back).

http://parrotnation.com/2010/08/08/chop-shot-by-shot/

Edited by Mama CJ
added more info

Here is a link with a video I watched to make chop. I use most of the ingredients when I can find them. I live in a small town and some things are hard to find but that's what's so great about it, make it your own. After you make the chop, you can put it over beans, rice or maybe add eggs to change it up a bit. It took me a few hours to wash, chop, boil some grains, mix and bag. Sometimes I put it over mashed sweet potatoes.

This one recipe works for my parakeets, greys, amazons and cockatoo (as soon as she learns that veggies won't bite back).

Thanks very much for that link. I watched the whole thing and I'm gonna mix up a batch because I have many birds. I know that they'll like most of those ingredients because they've eaten things like them before.Also, besides my greys, my quakers will benefit. Thanks again.

We provide a diet of pellets, fruits and veggies, from the birdstore. In addition, we provide a diet of fresh fruits and veggies. Alternate their diet of fresh fruits and veggies. They pick and choose what they like. They eat well, so don't go crazy about what they pick and choose for natural healthy living.

We dont deal with diet, for behavior changes. Food is food. NEVER is part, of behavioral modification Nancy

Parrot Nation has a great video on making chop. I make chop for alot of birds as raise Cockatiels as well. I use a clean grain mix that has popcorn, peas, paddy rice and I add to it brown rice or other grains I pick up from a bulk store like Whole Foods. Some expamples are:

Barley (hulled not pearled)

Winter or Red Wheat

Quinua (I cook and add to the mix)

Amaranth (must be cooked and added to the mix)

Kamut

Spelt Berries

Adziki Beans

Mung Beans

Various Legumes

13 bean soup mix without the base

Chick Peas

Great Northern Beans

Black Beans

Pinto, Lima, Black Eye..

I make my grain/legume mix and let it soak overnight 10-18 hours. I drain, rinse, refill the pot and boil the mix for about 20-30 minutes. Drain, rinse and cool.

For the veggies I put everything in the food processor and chop it up:

Steamed Squash

Steamed Sweet Potato

Steamed Zuchini (raw is ok too)

Carrots

Various radishes

Brocoli or Brocoli Rabe

Greens: Kale, Dandelion, Collards such as Mustard or Turnip

Beats (greans are good too)

Frozen mixed veggies

I chop up the veggies and mix them in with the grains/legums. I add spices such as Paprika, Cheyanne, Tumeric, Garlic, Corriander...I mix it up and do different things. If you sprout, you can sprout the grain/legum mix and use that in the chop too! Keep it interesting, simple and seasonal.

Susan Barnes

You can add items like hemp and chia seed. Alpha or Kelp powder. Spirulina is a good choice as well, use sparingly and alternate supplements. I make mine in a huge 12 L resuturant style container. It lasts me 3 days! I do not freeze the veggie mix. People do, I am just not sure about how soggy the defroasted chop will be. But I do freeze the grain/legume mix for future chop batches and for bird bread.

This really turned into a great thread, pikachu! I've enjoyed following it. Information & ingredients for everyone. Glad you asked this question.

Which leads me to ask Bran... so what is the difference between chop & mash? Although I totally agree that I don't care what it's called as long as the fids get to eat some good stuff. But I really would like to know.

And Mama CJ, fabulous video link. It's kind of nice to see someone else making as big a mess as I do. At least I've confined mine to the kitchen counters (so far lol). Definitely got some more new ideas & it was just fun to watch. Thanks!

Edited by birdhouse

This really turned into a great thread, pikachu! I've enjoyed following it. Information & ingredients for everyone. Glad you asked this question.

Which leads me to ask Bran... so what is the difference between chop & mash? Although I totally agree that I don't care what it's called as long as the fids get to eat some good stuff. But I really would like to know.

And Mama CJ, fabulous video link. It's kind of nice to see someone else making as big a mess as I do. At least I've confined mine to the kitchen counters (so far lol). Definitely got some more new ideas & it was just fun to watch. Thanks!

yes this did turn into an amazing thread!! It's amazing how things come together when you have different people add input to a conversation. Now, to answer the difference between Chop and Mash... I was explained that Mash is all cooked together, and Chop is mostly raw. Mash I would say is closer to Bean Mix with it being mostly cooked. I asked the same questions when I first got my greys, and that's what the wise creator of the Chop concept Patricia Sund explained to me. She also told me, there are so many different concepts out there, and it doesn't matter what you use, as long as it works for your birds.

If only the parrot owners of yesteryear had access to the internet and knowledge that we have now.... what stories their parrots would be able to tell. :-)

If only the parrot owners of yesteryear had access to the internet and knowledge that we have now.... what stories their parrots would be able to tell. :-)

At the risk of sounding ancient (whether or not I feel that way) I would have to say I am one. There was no internet for many years after I got Phenix & whatever books could be found seemed like gold & were, by today's standards pretty worthless. If not just completely wrong most of the time.

And the story Phenix would tell about our progress since the Stone Age? Well, sometimes it almost seems like we've found the fountain of youth. I just wish I had the pics to prove it, but he looks healthier now than he did 20 yrs ago. And he was plenty healthy back then. But I really think he's got better overall muscle tone & plumage than he's ever had.

Access to people's ideas have added to whatever I managed to figure out along the way & I'd like to think he lives a better quality of life, too. I know he's no youngster & he doesn't exactly act like one. But now there's no shortage of new ideas to help keep him active & challenged physically & mentally. It's a wonderful thing & I don't think I'll ever take it for granted. It's one of the things I value most about this forum.:)

• 1 month later...

wow that is like 80+ bucks in ingredients.

wow that is like 80+ bucks in ingredients.

When I picked up the ingredients for my batch of chop, I spent about $30 and didn't use everything. I still had some barley and rice left over. I used some veggies out of my garden, the neighbors garden and dandelion greens. I didn't use all the ingredients that was used in the video because I wasn't able to find them in my area. That's the great thing about chop, just use what you can or what's in season and make each batch a little different. I used a lot of squash, pumpkin, bell peppers, zucchini, turnips with greens and sweet potatoes. That's what I had left in the garden when I made it.

I made the batch back around the 1st of October and I still have at least half left. I feed 8 parrots and 9 parakeets with it. I don't feed it everyday, but several times a week.

• 3 months later...