NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New CAG (rehomed)

Scoop

Hello all you guys/gals. Ive been reading a couple of days now. Lots to learn lots to know. Just wanted to write up a "Hi, Im Sam" post and maybe get a little help.

A little history on me:

Earlier in life (highschool, when I could drive) I worked at a pet shop. Mostly cleaning cages, catching mice/rats/crickets for food for customers. Bagging fish. The owner got in 3 TAGs. They were wild caught. This was right at the end of wild bird importing. I bought one of them for cost. I think I gave around $100 for the bird. This bird hated everyone and even up to the end it only tolerated me. I probably didnt go about it the right way. This was before the internet, information was limited, the shop owner probably didnt help much. Its been a long time ago and I dont remember much of it. I sold the bird to buy an engagement ring for a girl I didnt marry. (probably should have kept the bird) Long story short, I have wanted another Grey ever since then.

Now -

My wife bought me a cockatiel for my birthday a year ago. I love the little bird. I named him Fluff. He was a hand fed baby that was supposed to be a female. When he molted he came back a boy. He talks with limited vocabulary, whistles a few tunes (including star wars imperial march, and the adams family) and is very affectionate. He will sit on my shoulder and rub his head on me begging for a head rub.

At the local pet store for about 3 months, we watched a sweet Blue Crown Conure go from outgoing to ragged and sad, sitting in a corner all the time. We felt very sorry for the bird and my wife wanted a bird to bond with after watching me with Fluff. We worked out a great deal with the shop owner and brought home KiKi. The wife and KiKi never could quite get along. He started out pretty luvvy, snuggling up under her neck and cooing. It was short lived and he resorted to biting her hard and laughing about it anytime she would do anything he didnt like. I have a good friend that has had falcons fall in love with KiKi and we passed him on to my friend. That bird is spoiled rotten now and happier than ever. He ended up in a good home. We got my wife a hand fed baby female cockatiel and cage about 4-5 months ago and she loves her. Now she has a little fluffy bird friend too and all is well.

(I know this is long winded, but I didnt have time to write a short post)

Last week sometime I get a text from a friend that is very active in pet relocation. She is always posting on facebook "looking for a home for this poor dog/cat". She sent me a text saying "looking for a home for a grey conure, you interested?" I asked if it came with a cage and got confirmation that it did. I told her that I would take the bird. I knew I could keep the bird for a while and find a good home for it if I needed to. I also knew she wouldnt be asking it there wasnt some urgency to it. Anwyay, I got the number of her friend that knew something about the bird. I got in touch with the lady and she told me very little of the bird. She knew it was a grey conure and the family that owned it was getting divorced. The lady moved in with her new boyfriend, and the man couldnt take the bird to where he was moving. I agree to set up a time to get the bird. A while later that evening, I ran out for a minute and come home to my wife talking on my cell phone. She is talking to the lady that owns the house that the bird is in. She whispered to me "Its not a grey conure, its an African Grey" My heart just about stopped. I have wanted one for SO long, but just couldnt justify the cost. I talke to the lady that owns the house and find that this particular bird was from a breeder that wanted to breed him. I guess after he reached sexual maturity, he wouldnt breed so they sold him as a pet. Im not sure how long the family had him. Im betting he wasnt messed with much in his earlier years. His name is Max. I LOATHE the name Max. Sounds like a name someone gives an insecure dog to boost his ego LOL.

I get a time the very next day. Im starting to worry "they are going to back out, free grey with a cage" But the evening finally rolls around, I get directions to the place and we go get the bird. I walk into a house that is filthy, smells, and has gas heat with temperatures reaching into the 80s. They lead me to a small room off to the side of the main living area. There is the bird, all alone in the cage and it is horribly filthy too. I talk to the bird and he makes clicking sounds at me. I try to get him to step up and he tries to bite and then runs from my hand. He gets on top of the cage and bails off. I note right off that he has full flight feathers, but plummets right to the ground. I dont think he ever learned to fly. When I put my hand down to get him and say "up" he starts saying "its okay.... its okay" and steps onto my hand, only to try to fly off again and right to the ground. We put the box down we brought with us and shoo him into it. I load up the cage and we head home.

Once home Max sits in the box and I hose the cage off outside, and scrub the crap out of it. Its nasty. Once thats done, I bring it in and the wife dried it all out. Fresh seed, fresh water, the couple of new toys we bought on the way home and we put the bird in the cage. He has a rock that attaches to the side of the cage that he sits on all the time. The two perches in the cage are rather small and made of some natural wood with bark. He seems afraid of them.

Its been two days since he has been here. We have decided to call him Grim. Hopefully the name change will go over well. If not, I guess Max it is, time will tell. He seems to be adjusting well. He sits around preening on his rock, watches both cockatiels, eats and talks. He makes lots of sounds I cant pick out. Mumbles lots of things I cant make out, and says a few things I can. When I have asked him to step up he acts like he wants to bite my hand. I tell him a firm NO and move my hand back. (Im not afraid to get bit, I have been bitten by EVERYTHING working in 2 different pet shops and taming a wild TAG)

He is COMPLETELY FREAKED out by a hand stick. You can see him raise up, feathers smooth down flay, eyes wide and starts to look for an escape route as soon as you walk toward him with a stick in your hand. I pulled the two natural perches out of his cage this evening and replaced them with 1" wooden dowels. I was hoping he may like these better. I took the rock out of the cage for the time being to maybe try and coax him to use the perches.. to see that they are not so bad.

Im looking for any advice that anyone may want to throw my way. I have MUCH more patience than when I got my first TAG and just want to be sure I do things right this time for me and the bird. I want a long wonderful relationship with this bird and dont want to mess it up.

This evening we shared a little bit of apple bundt cake. He seemed to enjoy that.

Thanks for your time reading this lenghty post, I have enjoyed sharing it.

Sam

Hi Sam, very nice introduction to you and Max. I am looking forward to to hearing how yours and Max's bonding goes. He is lucky to have have found you. I think you are going the right direction. Let Max take the lead and only go as far as he is comfortable. Welcome to the Grey family!

Thank You Sam for the wonderful intro, and detailed post! I recently "aquired" a grey from a similar situation, I have had her for nearly a month....and honestly what has worked for me so far....routine....dont change too much too quick..I was not fortunate enough to get a cage with mine...however the one Tia came out of was about how you described that you brought home. I think I would put the rock back....let Grim get comfortable in his new surroundings...dont move his cage, don't change whatever routine you want him to be on...When I first brought Tia home, I had a cage waiting BUT I managed to get her dishes (I had bought new ones ofcourse but I wanted her to be ok with the new cage)...I dont leave her without some noise (radio/tv) because I want her to be comfortable with different voices...and maybe to teach her that other voices shouldnt scare her. She is in the dining/living room...where she can see everything going on, when I wake up, I uncover her, open her cage and if she comes out fine...if not I still get her fresh water& food..before I leave I give her a treat...she will actually go back in her cage now when I put my coat on and wait for her treat before I leave..When I get back home...I check her food and give her fresh water (usually she bathes in the morning:) and I leave her cage open, I talk to her and I dont push..she seems to regress if I do... I try to do everything I can around her...The other day, I had my first breakthrough...I was sitting next to her had put a chair close enough that she could climb down from her cage...she seemed more interested in my phone than me..BUT she came to me..she climbed on my arm, said hello to my phone (looking at it waiting for another ring I assume) and then climbed onto my shoulder. I about could hardley contain the excitement..It took 3 weeks...and I just made sure it was her choice...Like I said if I push she fights...This is my experience...and I am NO expert, but it worked for me. I hope whatever advice is given helps you in your journey...Good Luck!

Think Ill keep the rock out. When I got up this morning he was sleeping on the perch closest to where his rock was. He doesnt seem distressed at all that the rock is missing. I may put it on the front outside so he can sit closer to me (hes right beside my desk where I spend my evenings.

congrats on grim and thanks for rehoming! our kallie is a rehome as well. her owner passed away and the family couldn't keep her birds due to a variety of reasons. i too waited for the other shoe to drop, free grey with cage, food, toys and 1st vet check for no money?! what was the catch??? well there was no catch, the family just wanted loving forever homes for the birds. these were birds that had been loved and well cared for, so our biggest issue was just kallie adjusting to the new situation in her life. we spent several months visiting weekly while homes were found for the other 2 birds she was with.

on the name change, when we got kallie, her name was honey. like you, i just didn't like it and wanted to change it, if possible. if not, well she'd remain honey! we used her original name with her new name and slowly started dropping her old name. ex. honey kallie or kallie honey, etc. she now recognizes her name as kallie, says hi kallie, kallie good girl?, etc.

we've had kallie almost 6 months now, she was to be "my" bird, but thinks my husband is the be all, end all of the world, so that's just the way it is. she lets me give her head scratches, i take care of her food and cage, etc. we're just thrilled that she has someone in our home that she loves. she's still willful, doesn't want to learn to step up (prefers to fly to your head then slide to your shoulder). but she's just turned 3, we've got many years to work on stepping up and such! we love her and her "sister" athena very much. they both have their little oddities and issues but just like people, who doesn't?!

Congratulations on finding your boy and thanks for joining us. We have a rehomed TAG and have been slowly getting him comfortable over six months. The time waiting is well worth it, if he is not actively interacting and seeking us out, I give him his space as far as approaching him directly. I still give him his food and water on a regular schedule and leave his door open so he can come in and out on his own. I considered briefly to rename him, but when I heard him reassuring himself after a thunderstorm and using his name often saying good morning and goodnight to himself, I fell in love with his name as much as with him. The name will work itself out naturally if you change it right along with bringing him to your new home. I look forward to many years of learning about you and your new companion.

Welcome and thank you for taking the time to share such a lengthy story so we all understand the situation a bit more. :). I would keep this bird as comfortable as his lead shows you. If it were me, he has many new things to get used to, and keeping his surroundings in his cage that he likes will only help him feel comfortable quicker. I would put his favorite rock back, it comforts him, and as my rescue cag did, over time, she began to leave her comfort perch and venture onto other things and never uses that perch any more even tho it's still in her cage.

As the others have said, it is too early to try much with him, just let him get used to his new environment, before you try to do much with him, let him lead you and learn that it is okay to trust you. He is afraid and doesn't know that you, a stranger means no harm to him. That takes time for him to understand. Remember, he doesn't know where he is, why he is there, who you and your family is, who these other birds are, what the sounds of

your house is, and doesn't know this is his forever home. Just be kind, don't push him and he will start to venture out of his protective shell on his own once he realizes this new home is safe and loving. Please keep us posted, I look forward to hearing more, and seeing pictures...:)

Edited by Talon

Thanks for the advice. His cage is right beside my desk. (in the living room) Our house is set up for functionality, not for company, not to look pretty. We dont have cable TV or Satelite dish. We have Netflix, Hulu, and 7 computers in the house lol. Basically what Im getting at, is he is in the center of ALL activity unless we are gone or asleep. He can see the entire living room, my wifes craft/sewing/embroidery business room, into the kitchen and dining room. Like I said, unless we are sleepin or away he is as involved as he can be. He also sits beside a 8 foot picture window where he can see the trees, a road and the lake in front of the house. He gets to watch ducks and geese in the lake.

Basic routine for him now - when I get up I open the top of the cage and the front door, I feed and water him. He hangs out until we are ready to leave. I shoo him back in the cage until we get home from work. I open it all back up again and he stays out until we go to bed. Im not so sure the shooing thing is so good for our relationship. I have been trying to keep an eye out when it gets late and catch him in the cage so I can just close it up. I offer him bits of what ever Im eating at the time. Last night he had a little broccoli out of my Chinese food. We have found he likes to dance. The wife and I will put on some music with a good beat and dance and sing around his cage. He will bob his head up and down and makes a water dripping sound. Not sure where the sound came from but it cracks us up. We both talk to him a lot. He pays attention and listens.

One thing is.. He NEEDS a new cage. This one is horrible. The tray on the bottom has duct tape over a hole that has rusted through, some of the welds are broken, and its just old and ratty. I have some money coming up and Im going to get him a new one. I hate to change him to a new one because its just one more change for him to get used to, but if I dont get the cage when I have the $ something will probably come up and then we are stuck with this one. Its going to be the super pet EZ care cage. Im just not sure to buy the one for medium or large birds. The meduim one is actually a bit smaller than what he has now, the large will be bigger. Im thinking with him in the cage for 8-10 hours a day during work, the larger will be better..

Here are links to the two -

http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/ez-care-playtop-cage-for-medium-birds.htm

http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/ez-care-playtop-cage-for-large-birds.htm

Just have to decide. Price not so important.

So glad to hear that Max has fit into your family so well. luv the update on Max and I love the EZ cages. That's what my three parrots have. Luv that you can fully open the front for cleaning. That newspaper fits in is priceless! My gang have the medium size because they do not go to the floor of the cage and to me that space is useless as they are out most of the day.

Hello Sam and Grim welcome. I am new to this as well. my CAG is very shy after a tramatic escaped he made when I wasn't home. So now we do things his way. So slow and Im grateful for whatever I get. He lets me feed him treats. In the past month he has allowed me to scratch his head and cheek but only in the morning or at night. This was something we used to do. I would say scratch my head and would put his head down, or else he would say it and I did it. I have had Quinn since he was 12 wks old. He is now 3 y.o. today my baby boy. He was abundance weaned, I think thats what it is called. I was told that was the best way to wean them, IDK. I got my Too the same way you got Grim. In fact most of my animals are rescues, Im a sucker. I just love animals more than people and Im not ashamed to admit it. We can all learn together, I think it's important that new people talk to each other as well as experienced people. I agree with ties too slow is better :)

Edited by emlee

It seems as though you are starting the right way, and getting into a routine is wonderful!! I was gonna ask if you decided to put his rock on the outside of his cage yet? If so, does he go to it when he is out? I know the shooing thing too...first couple of times I had to do that with Tia, BUT found a good incentive to get her back into her cage....shelled unsalted peanuts....Its also her treat while I am training her to "step up" (only if she's up for it though) I give her in the shell peanuts in the morning for as lil something to do and keep her content when I leave and three or four shelled at night. I let her see the container and I make sure she sees me put them in her dish.....she is happy to go in for them....As she goes in, I tell her goodnight...and ofcourse she says "Goodnight Tia" I wondered about the rock because if you have put it on the outside of this cage and he sits on it still....maybe you could make sure its inside the new cage....I just switched out Tia's swing...she had a lil tiny one that she would often fall asleep on and ultimately fall off..most evenings, SOO what I did was place the new swing on the bottom of her cage, bringing it up each time I cleaned the cage, further to the top..Today the other perch left, and her new more sturdy perch in its place...I actually had both on there for a couple of days and today when the cage was taken outside and cleaned...it didnt return with the old perch...she doesnt seem to be missing it, she actually is more interested in the new bells and seems content... Hope things keep going well and Grim keeps settling in!! Good Luck!

when we got kallie, she had toys but no bells or toy she could really "attack" and have a battle with. also, there were some different perches we needed to use. we put any new toy or perch on a tv tray in the living room where the cage is. every day i'd move the tray closer and play with these items to show her they were ok and safe. we found out, for the most part when it comes to new items, she's pretty brave and accepts them rather quickly!! we also "taste" any new food she's not seen before, before we offer it to her. we make a big deal out of how good and yummy it is.

greys are complicated, that's for sure. kallie is spooked more from what she sees out the window than what happens inside the house. (it's our front window and we have a porch, so it's a more "secure" view than a regular window with no roof to help cover the sky) when she gives her scared whistle, we'll go to the window and look, then if we can see what it is that's spooked her, we'll explain it to her. if there's a sound she's not heard before in the house, like my husband doing something in the basement, i'll explain that daddy's in the basement working and it's ok. if she's gotten really spooked, i'll keep the curtains less opened for a day or two until she's resolved it. athena helps out with that a lot. she thinks she's the biggest bird ever created in the universe, lol!

it sounds like you're going in the right direction, just be patient. i know it's so hard to do, but it does pay off in the long run. we've all got many years to gain our greys trust and respect and build a relationship. (i remind myself about that all the time, lol)

I tried to have a "step up" session yesterday. He bit me. Not hard, but hard enough. I have been around enough birds and have a high tolerance for pain so I just ignored it. Short of missing a finger the bird wont see me flinch :D Unfortunately, he freaked and bailed after I didnt respond to his defense. After he was in the floor he stepped right up. I held him for a minute while heading back to his cage VERY slowly. He seems a little more nervous when I walk by now. Little step back, no more asking him to step up, Im sure I will know when its okay.

Guest bailey3209

heya guys im new to the bird owning thing ive just rehoused a 24wk cag and from what i was told by the previous owner he sounded like was neglected being left in a room buy him self with nothink but the tv for company while he was at work

now i know it might take him some time to adjust with a new family and enviroment

but i was just wondering if i could get some advice..like why does he shake like he is cold when we talk to him and what does it mean when he growls?

any help would be wonderful..he does have a full house of people as i have recently moved back to my family home after leavin the army so there is always someone round for company.

will he be ok thanks

matt

Scoop, sounds like you are in my situation. Im waiting for my CAG to cradle again. Ive made lots of progress by letting it happen on his time. I can pet him and give him treats through the cage. He sometimes seeks my attention. I miss him so much. He went through a traumatic situation where he got out and ran around the floor as my husband and my sons were trying to get him. I wasn't even there. So I have to wait.

Yes, Im afraid its going to be a long waiting game now. Improvements - When I get up close and talk to him he chatters back at me with noises, purrs, clicks.. When I give him a treat, he used to grab it and jerk it out of my hand, now he takes it very easy. When I shut down my computer (there are switches I click for the monitor, desk lamp, sound system, he heads into his cage. No more shooing. Do you guys think eventually he will want to step up and hang out with me/on me?

heya guys im new to the bird owning thing ive just rehoused a 24wk cag and from what i was told by the previous owner he sounded like was neglected being left in a room buy him self with nothink but the tv for company while he was at work

now i know it might take him some time to adjust with a new family and enviroment

but i was just wondering if i could get some advice..like why does he shake like he is cold when we talk to him and what does it mean when he growls?

any help would be wonderful..he does have a full house of people as i have recently moved back to my family home after leavin the army so there is always someone round for company.

will he be ok thanks

matt

Matt please start your own thread with this question and inroduce yourself. :)

Only time will tell Scoop, but it sounds like you are making good decisions and good progress. :)

Yes, Im afraid its going to be a long waiting game now. Improvements - When I get up close and talk to him he chatters back at me with noises, purrs, clicks.. When I give him a treat, he used to grab it and jerk it out of my hand, now he takes it very easy. When I shut down my computer (there are switches I click for the monitor, desk lamp, sound system, he heads into his cage. No more shooing. Do you guys think eventually he will want to step up and hang out with me/on me?

Hello Sam!

I, too started working in pet stores when I was in high school. I'm now in college with a loving little cockatiel like yours, and a Senegal parrot that bites anyone that isn't me.

I want to commend you on doing a re-home. It's a long, hard process, but in the end it will pay off!

From what I gather, you and your wife both work from home? That's the absolute best situation for bird parentage!